Request (Looking for collaberators and feedback) Technological Flux: The definitive answer to power creep

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
M

mm04926412

Note: I am not asking people to make this mod for me, I am more looking for collaborators and trying to see what players think of the concept before I commit my time to it. I've posted this on other mod forums and I'm trying to potentially get a team together for it.

I've played rail-craft and thought about making complicated rail networks and then not because tesseracts and teleportation are far easier.

I've loved the aesthetic of buildcraft engines and the fuel refining process then never done it because the pay off is weak.

To solve these I have an idea that will do the following

A. Make it superior to build things far apart and make rail systems rather than clump everything in a cramped base

B. Make low tech mods more useful and making "magic block" solutions less desirable

C. A general solution to end game boredom through the providing of an endless resource sink that does not feel contrived and does not break the game once some incredible god item has been achieved, nor is it only a problem for 30 minutes until another magical item turns off the feature or makes it much easier to deal with, instead of being a "hardcore survival feature" an obstacle is put in the way of general technological development that only gets worse without feeling unfair or tedious

D. Provide Dynamic difficulty by allowing difficulty features to be turned off until certain points of game play are reached, and for mobs to scale to the player without making players feel like becoming more powerful is pointless

E. Do this in a simple and configurable way

F. Make magic mods a more attractive option

with the only limitation being it is only suitable for single player games and small servers where all players are co-operating

How you ask? Technological Flux

1: What is Technological Flux?

Technological Flux is a form of "Magical" pollution that all "machines" emit depending on how the mod is configured with a bit of tongue in cheek fluff about God hating success. It comes in two varieties, global tech flux, and local tech flux, players would be able to see a blocks pollution level in NEI and plan accordingly. These pollution values would have defaults but could be easily configured by server owners and players and would be adjusted regularly with player feedback.

Global Tech Flux:

There is a global Variable N that increases for every machine that is present in the world save, present in player inventories, (basically just exist in some manner to avoid players simply putting machines in chests when they don't need them, they'd have to destroy them completly), this Variable N as it increase makes mobs more difficult making players need to become more powerful as a response to their technological development, can change config files to activate hardcore features once a certain threshold is reached (For example spice of life could activate at a certain N) and most importantly multiplies all Power costs, Power Storage Limits, and wire transfer capabilities by AN^B-O Where A and B are configurable constants to change progression and O is an offset if you don't want it to effect early game players at all. Low tech machines such as railcraft steam trains and buildcraft redstone engines and pipes have a very low N value, where as so called "magic blocks" have a very high N factor such as a mine factory reloaded laser drill or Tesseracts. Power generation rates, and power producing blocks, are neither influenced by N nor do they add to N, meaning an exponential increase in power is needed for players who insist on cheesy magic block solutions to problems as soon they won't be able to run anything, instead players are encouraged to occasionally use these solutions, but make something more creative and interesting if they can. Creativity is directly rewarded.

Local Tech Flux:

Local Tech Flux works similarly to it's Global counter part, the main differences being unlike global tech flux it radiates outwards from machines and only has an effect of machines nearby according to the inverse square law and unlike global which is not increased by power generating structures, power producing blocks put out huge amounts of local flux, ESPECIALLY NUCLEAR REACTORS! Meaning you want these things as far away from your machines as possible, and will need a dedicated power plant building in the middle of nowhere, it also can in large amounts create thaumcraft taint if thaumcraft is installed or otherwise just increase mob spawn rates and start to fuck up the enviorment with random fire storms etc. further requiring distance, a big reactor will basically annihilate it's enviroment if enough fuel rods are inside it with taint/fire and death emulating the effects of radiation.

2. Ways to control Flux

Players have the means through machines to decrease global flux and local flux or even increase local flux since this adds a risk reward factor, flux increases the power storage capabilities of power banks and the power transfer rates of wires, some player might intentionally generate local flux to make their storage systems more efficient at the expense of rabid zombies everywhere. These systems would have diminishing returns. Global Flux would be decreased by feeding "Tokens" to a machine that annihilates them to decrease the global N value but tokens would do less and less over time and they would be expensive and players who really need something close to their power production can "throw money at the problem" with a decrease in local flux but again, this would also have diminishing returns and be expensive. These research options would also give the player a lot of Warp

3. Why this is a good idea

-all machines being pollutants means every decision a player makes is a risk reward one and players will take a lot more care in planning

- A return of robust creative and large solutions to problems that are unique to each player as they realise their old setups are really polluting and replace them with something more creative to expand

- A continuous end game that has no "you win" button through the resource sink that reducing N will be

- Low pay off but low pollution machines will make end game players pay more attention than they would normally to mods that are often ignored

-Magic mods will get more and more practical, magic mods general resistance to automation makes them very reliable for the end game player and gives them something to do

- Op mods like draconic evolution suddenly seem a lot more balanced when making the normal you win machines burn everything within 20 chunks to a wasteland and massively increase total power consumption

-High power consumption make the early game horrifying and end game fun, low makes the early game easy but people get bored, a dynamic approach is the best of both worlds and there is never a clear "you win" ending to it all, just exponentially increasing numbers which as adventure capitalist proved is one of the most simple and effective ways to maintain engagement

-This is a lot more fun and easy to make and use than micro crafting as a way to add challenge

- A ridiculous amount of depth is added whilst being simple to configure and understand and work with

4. The point of this post

I have very little experience with mod development, if necessary I will create this mod because it in theory would not be that difficult mostly time consuming to create default configurations, but any collaborators are welcome to help, anyone well known who just outright wants to make this instead of me can ask permission to and I would consider, and all mod pack makers could include it without being asked and the project would be open source. I think this concept would make a huge difference to tech packs and add a lot of new life to the game so I'm more concerned about it existing than getting the credit for it.

I am interested in peoples thoughts on this project, questions about this project, and anyone who would be interested in working on this project.

5. My pledges to you

- I will never add a machine that uses flux to turn one ore into two ingots

- I will not allow flux to be condensed into ingots to be made into ultrafluxium pickaxes that destroy the entire world in one click

- Basically this mod is far reaching and will have an effect on every mod in the pack by it's nature, but I'm not going to go any further than the stated design goal nor will I add redundant features every other mod has

Last edited:

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
This sounds really cool, however there is one factor that I have my concerns about. Your "N".
In order for it to work as you describe it, it needs to be able to keep track of every kind of crafting or other way of obtaining a machine and the same counts for destruction. The problem is that mods implement outright impossible to predict ways of doing either of these.
What you could do is "listen" to the placement of certain machines and then check whether they are still there every so often.

Also, L was way cooler than N.

M

mm04926412

This sounds really cool, however there is one factor that I have my concerns about. Your "N".
In order for it to work as you describe it, it needs to be able to keep track of every kind of crafting or other way of obtaining a machine and the same counts for destruction. The problem is that mods implement outright impossible to predict ways of doing either of these.
What you could do is "listen" to the placement of certain machines and then check whether they are still there every so often.

Also, L was way cooler than N.

Method I was thinking of was just to track chunks machines are placed in and inventories and make it so it takes an hour or so for the flux to completely dissapear

Last edited: