Looking for a step by step guide on how to set up a server

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Indalor1

Jul 29, 2019
I've been playing Minecraft for over a year now and have even gotten some friends enjoying the game as well. But now I need to know how to set up a FTB server for myself and between 3 and 10 friends, maybe more if more friends want to join (I'm sure my computer can handle more but best to start small). I'm pretty much a newb when it comes to tech stuff though so I need a step by step guide on how to set up the server.

Any help or a link would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Assuming windows:
1. Open launcher, select modpack.
2. Click "Download Server" button.
3. Place downloaded files somewhere memorable.
4. Extract files.
5. Run the "ServerStart.bat"
6. If people outside your local network (i.e. your house) need access, forward port 25565 to your computer from your router (the method for this depends on the router you have).

Indalor1

Jul 29, 2019
Ok did all that... now how do I connect to it from another computer? Heck or from the computer it is on?

LightKnight

Jul 29, 2019
do you have a dedicated server ? or you run it on your PC ? if yes which platform , linux or windows server ?

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Ok did all that... now how do I connect to it from another computer? Heck or from the computer it is on?
1. Go to the start menu and type CMD into the search and hit enter to bring up the command prompt.
2. In the command window type ipconfig and hit enter.
3. look through the info until you find IPv4 address, copy that down.
4. Go into the server properties and find the port (DEFAULT: 25565) take that and forward the port in your router to your IPv4 address you copied down.
5. In the server properties find the server-ip line and copy in the same IPv4 Address you did for the port forward.
6. save the server properties and launch your server.

For you to log in behind your router type in the IPv4 address you copied down. For you to log in elsewhere go to google on your server and type "whats my ip" and give that ip to anyone you want to log into your server.

Indalor1

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I have it up and running. Thank you for the help. It is on my home computer running on windows 7.