Longbows are inaccurate?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DazeDream

Jul 29, 2019
I've been messing around with shortbows, crossbows, vanilla bow and a bunch of arrows, including vanilla arrows.

I found that the vanilla bow and short bow are pretty accurate, crossbow is unmatched in accuracy but the longbows with TiC arrows are incredibly inaccurate. I tried researching nto why but I could find no answers.

The image below shows an example of arrow spread from bows and arrows I tested with.
PvAAaXC

Why is the longbow with TiC arrows so bad for accuracy? Is this a bug or am I missing something important?
Also crossbows have no downside, they are literally the best? xD nerf pls

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Can't load the image, but if you're using the same arrows as your shortbow for the longbow, don't.
Longbows work better with heavier arrows, shortbows work better with lighter arrows.

And crossbows are more tedious to make.

DazeDream

Jul 29, 2019
How do I make heavy arrows? I tried endurium and blaze rod to get a weight of 9.9, I dont think I can get any higher and that 9.9 has the same kind of inaccuracy as the 3.4's I was using.
I've seen people talk about using metals for shafts, but I think I have the version where I can only use certain things for shafts, like sticks, blaze rods, bones and sugar cane.

sgbros1

Jul 29, 2019
Use a heavier arrowhead. Enderium seems light, try manyullyn.

If not, use a better fletching. What fletching are you using. Don't use leaves.

DazeDream

Jul 29, 2019
Manyullyn arrowheads have a weight of 2.25, endurium has the highest weight at 9.
I tried endurium and its just as inaccurate as other TiC arrows, the spread against targets is the same.

When you use vanilla arrows with longbows, the accuracy is fine... but... y'know... they do no damage :c

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
You should have seen crossbows when they first came out. I was one shotting others.

Edit: I had and issue with longbows where they would not accept any arrows. But when I updated that went away.

Tommerbob

Jul 29, 2019
I did some testing with various arrowheads and longbows a couple of weeks ago.

I did two sets of tests with both Short and Longbows, one at 30 blocks, the other at 60. I also did some long-range shooting just to test distance. Without getting into much detail because laziness:

Longbows shoot a lot farther than Shortbows. They also hit a lot harder--if you can hit the target. Unless you're within 10-20 blocks, you'll miss a lot of shots. Kinda defeats the whole point of having a Longbow in the first place, if you ask me.

Even with Slime Fletching (~94% accuracy) and very heavy arrows (I think Lead was the heaviest I tried, with a weight of ~8), they're accuracy was almost identical to Cactus Arrows, at both 30 and 60 distance.

After all my testing, I'm pretty sure something is wack with their accuracy. If I'm not feeling too lazy in the near future, I might run some more tests and detail/screenshot all of the results.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Seems a bit odd to me...wasn't the historical reason behind the prevalence of longbows because they were accurate at long distances due to the high amount of energy the limbs stored while shortbows were mostly used for shooting while on horseback due to their lower profile and faster drawing speed?

Renton Terrace

Jul 29, 2019
Seems a bit odd to me...wasn't the historical reason behind the prevalence of longbows because they were accurate at long distances due to the high amount of energy the limbs stored while shortbows were mostly used for shooting while on horseback due to their lower profile and faster drawing speed?
another reason for the use of the shortbow was it is easier maneuver it in a heavily forested/overgrown area.
third reason being they were a lot easier to make/cheaper to buy.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Then, along came crossbows...then guns. And bows became all but useless. :p Though, in a Fallout (or TWD) survival-type situation, learning to use a compound bow would be a useful skill, since you can, many times, reclaim your ammo. Makes me want to make a game loosely based off Jericho (the TV show) with mechanics like that one.