Logistics Pipes Vs. Applied Energistics

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The issue comes as this: The factory is large. I have rows of 5-high stacks of auto-craft tables. I have lots of Logistic Pipes. What is the impact of this to the server as opposed to AE? I'm not looking forward to converting the whole mess, or even half of it, really. It does what I need it to do. However, the server is struggling even when no players are on-line. One Quarry and a few chunk loaders and I get "Server cannot keep up!" warnings.

AE will always be slightly cheaper than LP (LP does pathing, AE doesn't have to), but this is offset by the fact that LP often has mod-level optimizations for solutions like inventory regulation and liquid supplying. These solutions are usually more optimized than the more granular tools offered by AE.

Remember that you can use both. You can easily provide from the AE system into LP networks.

Droideka30

Jul 29, 2019
Although I haven't played with either mod too extensively, it seems to me that AE is better if you want a sleek, simple, functional mass storage/crafting system, whereas LP is better if you like building elaborate, customized storage/ sorting systems.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Although I haven't played with either mod too extensively, it seems to me that AE is better if you want a sleek, simple, functional mass storage/crafting system, whereas LP is better if you like building elaborate, customized storage/ sorting systems.

LP is better at complex automation tasks, and storage is an afterthought. AE is the opposite; automation support is much weaker but storage is amazing.

Reactions: Pokefenn

zaq_hack

Jul 29, 2019
Impossible to say for sure really but I would say to test it. The routing logic cost for LP was drastically reduced and as such I have yet to see any kind of lag with it. It's very possible your lag issues have nothing to do with the LP at all and could be something like IC2 if you're on Unleashed 1.1.4/5.

Well, of the past several crash dumps, BC Pipes seem to have been the cause of about half of them. One, I had to actually MCEdit a pipe out of a player's quarry to get the world to start again. Which is why I wonder. In general, using pipes (BC, LP, or otherwise) seems to create entities that have to be individually tracked whereas AE may allow me to create a smaller pipe network (even if I just use it for storage).

I'll look into IC2 lag. I know the Mass Fabricators throw errors about power consumption pretty regularly. I found that when well-fed by a constant diet of scrap boxes, they freak out the energy demands of even MFSU's and fiber cables ... although I also think we are approaching a point where they will cease to operate unless our inventory of UU is considerably depleted.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Well, of the past several crash dumps, BC Pipes seem to have been the cause of about half of them. One, I had to actually MCEdit a pipe out of a player's quarry to get the world to start again. Which is why I wonder. In general, using pipes (BC, LP, or otherwise) seems to create entities that have to be individually tracked whereas AE may allow me to create a smaller pipe network (even if I just use it for storage).

I'll look into IC2 lag. I know the Mass Fabricators throw errors about power consumption pretty regularly. I found that when well-fed by a constant diet of scrap boxes, they freak out the energy demands of even MFSU's and fiber cables ... although I also think we are approaching a point where they will cease to operate unless our inventory of UU is considerably depleted.

The rendering of items in pipes is palpable but you're correct the routing can be a bit costly but unless you have a couple thousand items moving around at any given time I doubt it's the actual error. But AE is far far better for storage and auto crafting awhile LP is for automation.

As for IC2 the energy net alone can be enough to cripple a server in the 1.1.4/5 version of IC2. It is horribly flawed and hooking up too many EU producing blocks to one cable line can drop a servers TPS considerably. Possibly even crash with enough.

zaq_hack

Jul 29, 2019
Too much LP may not be the root of the problem, then. I primarily ran things on Buildcraft and Thermal Expansion devices for a long while and it ran pretty smoothly. However, now that I have some Mighty Solar Panels, I'd been converting to EU. Particularly since I can craft very quickly on-demand using IC2 machines and some upgrades, this made sense. I have been deploying many of them attached to crafting pipes and there are now lots of fiber cables and luminators and the like. I shall endeavor to convert some things back to TE machines, which are slower, but seem very well-behaved.

P.S. I'm running 1.1.4 ... I have yet to find 1.1.5?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Too much LP may not be the root of the problem, then. I primarily ran things on Buildcraft and Thermal Expansion devices for a long while and it ran pretty smoothly. However, now that I have some Mighty Solar Panels, I'd been converting to EU. Particularly since I can craft very quickly on-demand using IC2 machines and some upgrades, this made sense. I have been deploying many of them attached to crafting pipes and there are now lots of fiber cables and luminators and the like. I shall endeavor to convert some things back to TE machines, which are slower, but seem very well-behaved.

P.S. I'm running 1.1.4 ... I have yet to find 1.1.5?

Unleashed 1.1.6 should now be available actually. 1.1.5 also has a bad version of IC2. Either use 1.1.3 or 1.1.6 for best results.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
All things considered, I've stopped using IC2, except for the construction of reinforced stone, doors and glass. I no longer need it for flight, nor for tools that don't need replacing. TE does everything I want with only a slight delay.

The only problem I have with LP is that they tend to be more expensive for the basic pipes than AE is for the buses.

Reactions: AlanEsh

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Unleashed 1.1.6 should now be available actually. 1.1.5 also has a bad version of IC2. Either use 1.1.3 or 1.1.6 for best results.
Unfortunately, if you updated to 1.1.5 the new IC2 in that version breaks Advanced Solars when you migrate to 116. I hope 1.1.7 is able to fix the problem, because we're stuck at 115 until something gives (the only solution we've found is to disable Advanced Solars, which isn't an option).

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Unfortunately, if you updated to 1.1.5 the new IC2 in that version breaks Advanced Solars when you migrate to 116. I hope 1.1.7 is able to fix the problem, because we're stuck at 115 until something gives (the only solution we've found is to disable Advanced Solars, which isn't an option).
That doesn't really make sense quite honestly.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
That doesn't really make sense quite honestly.
I think I said that incorrectly... Here's what happened:
We updated our server from 113 to 114, then on to 115 when it came out. Then 116 became available so we installed that to hopefully rectify some other bugs (MPS), but upon startup saw massive server log spam, like anyone else who went from 115 >> 116. So we rolled back to 115. The log spam is coming from Advanced Solars because of something that happened when the bugged version of IC2 went out with 115. Even though we've rolled back IC2, it has left some artifact that is f'ing up Advanced Solars.

Anyway, sorry to derail, just wanted to point out that users on 115 are likely not going to be able to use 116.

zaq_hack

Jul 29, 2019
I had a similar issue. I've rolled back to 1.1.3 which is at least stable, if laggy. I'm going through and editing out massive EU arrays. Once I get that done, I'll roll forward again and see what happens. Unfortunately, that is going to be a slow process, but probably best/most stable option. At one point, a huge swath of the factory was just GONE in 1.1.6, and I noted it was around several of the Advanced Solar panels.

When I say massive EU arrays, I'm talking 3x5 chunks' worth, all lit up with luminators, powering many MSFU's, and even using electric engines to convert to MJ. So, it's going to take a bit, but just removing about 400 luminators seems to have helped. I'm assuming it is EU network related and not Logistics Pipes causing the lag. Thanks to those who've offered help.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I think I said that incorrectly... Here's what happened:
We updated our server from 113 to 114, then on to 115 when it came out. Then 116 became available so we installed that to hopefully rectify some other bugs (MPS), but upon startup saw massive server log spam, like anyone else who went from 115 >> 116. So we rolled back to 115. The log spam is coming from Advanced Solars because of something that happened when the bugged version of IC2 went out with 115. Even though we've rolled back IC2, it has left some artifact that is f'ing up Advanced Solars.

Anyway, sorry to derail, just wanted to point out that users on 115 are likely not going to be able to use 116.

Have you tried rolling back to 1.1.3(There might be some additional loss with this route but would likely be a better option) then pushing straight to 1.1.6 from there?

StratX

Jul 29, 2019
LP is better at complex automation tasks, and storage is an afterthought. AE is the opposite; automation support is much weaker but storage is amazing.
^
|
This.
Logistics Pipes is much more than an item storage/sorting solution. It's a scalable, extensible system for automation, management, delivery and more. It allows a wide range of subtle and elegant management over any number of items, speed/ticks, amounts and so on. It can scale, starting from early-to-mid range game-progression (improving as desired at any time). It's flexible to fit around any creative builds you may want -- from very small, tightly compact designs(using disconnectors and sneaky cards) to large complex structures. It can also connect any number of machines and systems in any desired configurations. You can also constantly grow it, refine it and bring in new systems as you progress through gameplay.

In only my opinion -- using Logistics Pipes to simply create a basic item storage/sorting machine is like using a highly advanced robot to do nothing but sweep your kitchen floor. It can do so much more.

StratX

Jul 29, 2019
How long is too long? I thought this very thing may happen. But are there regulations in the terms of usage for when to stop replying to threads? That's only like 2 months.

INCSlayer

Nov 17, 2012
How long is too long? I thought this very thing may happen. But are there regulations in the terms of usage for when to stop replying to threads? That's only like 2 months.
imo thats 1 month too long i think threads should be locked if there have been no new posts in them for 30 days

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Complaints about "necro" are much more annoying than useful and relevant posts on the topic. Why complain, when you can much more conveniently and quickly just ignore it? (I suppose I could ask myself the same question, but stopping necro-complaints is probably easier than stopping necros, as it's a smaller number of people doing the complaining)

Reactions: Mjw and apemanzilla