Logistic option, what mod to use?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
Playing on a server that do not have redpower2

i really miss redpower2 when it comes to handling your items and making sorting system etc.

I have tried to use logistic nodes and transport pipes.
And i have tried to use logistical pipes.

Both have good potential.
Logistic Nodes are easy to use and works for smaller systems. But they fail fast when the system becomes larger and when you want to sort more than just a few items.

Logistical pipes are advance and got potential as well. But after setting up a smaller system and having the pipes explode on me because the pipes got overloaded of items, it feelt a bit meh tbh. I hope someone here can help me find another option to build your sorting and transportation of items or give me good hints on making above viable options.

My system pulls allot if items from chests and sorting them into different machines to then be pulled out and go back to new chests etc. I liked redpower2 because they did not overfill the pipe, only sent out an item if there was room on the receiving side. Can i do this with logistical pipes?

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Playing on a server that do not have redpower2

i really miss redpower2 when it comes to handling your items and making sorting system etc.

I have tried to use logistic nodes and transport pipes.
And i have tried to use logistical pipes.

Both have good potential.
Logistic Nodes are easy to use and works for smaller systems. But they fail fast when the system becomes larger and when you want to sort more than just a few items.

Logistical pipes are advance and got potential as well. But after setting up a smaller system and having the pipes explode on me because the pipes got overloaded of items, it feelt a bit meh tbh. I hope someone here can help me find another option to build your sorting and transportation of items or give me good hints on making above viable options.

My system pulls allot if items from chests and sorting them into different machines to then be pulled out and go back to new chests etc. I liked redpower2 because they did not overfill the pipe, only sent out an item if there was room on the receiving side. Can i do this with logistical pipes?

yes you can, however. if you have a very high throughput and the machines can't keep up, then the system will overflow sooner or later. (this happens regardless of system tho, even the AE one. running out of buffer space is bad).

So what you need to do is separate your processing streams from the sorting network, and put a big enough buffer in between to handle the peaks of item influx properly without overflowing. I tend to use barrels for that, since each one can hold a large amount of a single item. you can also use chutes on top of the processing machines themselves as well.

it is possible to skip using separation buffers as well, but that requires you to have large amounts of intermediate storage options somewhere in your network for each item in the process chain. this is commonly done in AE where sorting is not really important since it's all accessible from anywhere on the network. (ME disk drives can contain a ton of storage space).

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Since you are looking to replace RP2 you should take a look at AE (Applied Energistics). It can handle automation and storage of almost anything.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
AE at its basics is a storage system that gives you the ability to search your inventory. However they also include devices to export specific items to machines then import the completed item out of the machine when done. Then they added the molecular assembler to automate the crafting for almost everything in the game. BTW: Their is also a wireless handheld device that you can use to access the inventory from anywhere in your base.