Locating items in attached inventories?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
A

Anton_

I've lost a Crate/Chest somewhere. Is there any way of getting JEI/RefStrg to give me a location? Or something useful? I've searched high and low, in vain.

I'm using DW20's latest modpack for his LP S9. I'm using Refined Storage ans my main inventory management, and JEI is also running.

I use RS's disk drives, but I also sometimes group certain items together in Actually Additions Crates, with External Storages on them. Sometimes I forget to set the Ext Strg to "Extract only", and RS then of course uses such a Crate for general purpose storage, seemingly in preference to disk drives (I've had a whole 64K DD sitting empty for a while now, while RS has been putting my stuff somewhere else).

If I know at least one item that is definitely in a lost Crate somewhere, is it possible to get RS or JEI to give me the co-ordinates of that external inventory? I've tried hovering over the item, and hitting "T" but that doesn't seem to work?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Build yourself a Storage Scanner from RFTools, set it down and have it scan for inventories. It will then give you the precise block co-ordinates for the various crates.

Reactions: Anton_

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If you know the contents, you can do a JEI search, then use T to search for it within inventories nearby. The Storage Scanner is better if available, but finding things early game or in a friend's base can be made much easier.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, maybe it is. I haven't played without either in quite a while. I just assumed it was part of JEI, but you could very well be right.

Reactions: KingTriaxx

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I only know because I'd be trying to type in Applied Energistics, and hit T and the thing would freeze because it was trying to find something containing what I was moused over. Supremely annoying. Ended up unbinding the key.

A

Anton_

If you know the contents, you can do a JEI search, then use T to search for it within inventories nearby. The Storage Scanner is better if available, but finding things early game or in a friend's base can be made much easier.
I must be doing something wrong - "T" doesn't seem to do anything for me. I typed "redstone" into JEI's search box, while standing near an inventory that I knew contained Redstone Ore, but nothing happened - at least, not that I could see.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Does "T" not open your text box by default?

There are not enough keys on the keyboard for this game.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Er, no. R-clicking an inventory does that, when it opens the JEI pages on the right. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding you?

You are totally misunderstanding me :p

I was referring to the chat window, but the part I wasn't thinking of was that it would be different with the inventory up.

A

Anton_

You are totally misunderstanding me :p

I was referring to the chat window, but the part I wasn't thinking of was that it would be different with the inventory up.
The chat window is what comes up when I tap "/"? If so, typing "/T" just brings up an error message (cmd not recognised). I had a look at JEI's control options, but none the wiser from that.

DV6jR1b.jpg

I have the feeling that I'm barking up the wrong tree (or a non-existent tree?), and probably wasting everyone's time - if so, please feel free to tell me :)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Mine was essentially the wrong tree, lol. I was thinking that it was conflicting with the button that opens the chat window (mine defaulted to "t" but the / also brings it up. I think "t" might bring it up if the window gets hidden but doesn't put anything in the text window. While the slash just puts the slash up for you in the box)

But, what I thought doesn't matter because once you're in the inventory window, it no longer applies. I'd say your issue is that it's an Extra Utilities feature like Triaxx said.

Reactions: Anton_