Little Help?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

beingben

Jul 29, 2019
Trying to setup a small FeedtheBeast server, but it seems like i have hit a roadblock. First off i couldn't make the thing run with McPro and now it runs at 70% memory and crashes with more then two-three people on the server overloading the memory use.

Let it me known, there is no red-stone, no quarry..3 people together mining im running 60% cpu and 100% Ram on a 1400mb server. I'm just trying to inquire if there is something I can do better to improve my small server cause I didnt think three people just mining required more then 1400mb of ram.

Thanks for anyone who can shed some insight on my dilemma.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
What are the specs for your system. The server will nom nom nom memory.

beingben

Jul 29, 2019
Dual Xeon E5506 Processors 48GB of DDR3 ECC RAM Samsung SSDs 1Gbps blended fiber connections!
and I bought the 1400MB Ram Package

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
48 GB of DDR3 EEC RAM ?

Why would you ever need to buy 1.4GB of RAM to add to this?

I believe you mistook the hard drive for RAM there.

Also, what version of what operating system are you running, and what max ram usage have you set your server to?

Minecraft seems to try to use as much ram as possible to keep things smooth things, not that it helps.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Dual Xeon E5506 Processors 48GB of DDR3 ECC RAM Samsung SSDs 1Gbps blended fiber connections!
and I bought the 1400MB Ram Package

As this is a hosted solution, you should contact your server host to troubleshoot the issue. I'd say that 1.4GB of RAM is a bit minimal in regards to how much RAM I'd run, but I own my own server so I don't have to pay buckets for turtles when I want more RAM.

The RAM, though, would not be why it is running poorly. That is likely more in line with the server being used being a shared server, and likely oversold as well. Good luck.

Dekar

Jul 29, 2019
48 GB of DDR3 EEC RAM ?

Why would you ever need to buy 1.4GB of RAM to add to this?

I believe you mistook the hard drive for RAM there.

Also, what version of what operating system are you running, and what max ram usage have you set your server to?

Minecraft seems to try to use as much ram as possible to keep things smooth things, not that it helps.

That is the ram for the whole server that is then split between clients. It sounds as if he bought a vps or shard with 1400mb of RAM for his use.

What OS/Java are you using?
What FTB pack are you using?
What startup script are you using?

MC should be using the 1gb script as you are going to need ram left over for the OS and other items that need to run outside of the MC amount. That value might still be a bit high with just 1.4gb of ram avail, but without knowing more specifics I can only speculate at this point.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Shared?

Sharing a dual Xeon E5506 is like saying you share an intel core duo, those are old cpus that are far from being powerful in today's comparisons.
( http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5506+@+2.13GHz )

Anyway, if you only have 1.4GB of RAM at your disposal, I do hope that it is running on an Linux of some kind, because most of the recent OS do take at least half of that for themselves.

To know what you have, if it's a computer you bought, you should have a bill that tells you in details all you have on that.
If not, then you need to at least know what OS you are running, because that's the only way we can hope to help you finding out where to look.

beingben

Jul 29, 2019
They don't and haven't told me anything of their OS. Im playing for a service from "mcProHositng.com" I guess should I increase my package with more RAM or try a different more reliable provider?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
They don't and haven't told me anything of their OS. Im playing for a service from "mcProHositng.com" I guess should I increase my package with more RAM or try a different more reliable provider?

As already stated, you should be bringing up your concerns with your service provider. They're likely just got your specific package throttled to a specific amount of CPU time, which you are saturating fairly well it seems.

For vanilla, the rule was, last I checked, 500MB of RAM per user. With as many modifications as FTB has, I'd think at least 1GB of RAM per user as the hard/fast "rule". Your mileage will vary, as some users may oversaturate your server, while others may not saturate it as much as the standard.

beingben

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I will bump my package and hope they reply since it's been three days since any reply as been made.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I will bump my package and hope they reply since it's been three days since any reply as been made.

If you aren't getting a reply within one business day, you should cancel your service and find another provider (and get a refund, if possible). Assuming you mean that you sent an email on Friday, you should get a reply today, or at the latest if your reply was late on Friday, tomorrow. Anything less than that is substandard and should be a red flag.