List of Mods to remove from FTB

Pyrotemplar

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, i have recently started a FTB server and im still trying to configure everything.
so i want to get a list of the mods and items that most people recommend removing and disabling in order to maintain a stable, lag free, and griffing to a minimum kinda server.
so far im looking into removing
Mystcraft - to many ages will start to lag the main world.
Anchors - same as mystcraft.
Nukes- dont need this tnt can work fine.
Portal gun - Just plain dont need it
Twilight forest- extra dimension which can cause extra lag and to easy to gather resource
if you guys could give me some more info and why you think that mod or item should be removed or why it should be left in the pack.
thank you

Dekar

Jul 29, 2019
I have removed Greg's Tech, Portal Gun, and MFFS from my server.

Beyond that I am going to disable nukes, disable players from creating mystcraft worlds. (As OP I will make 1 world at a time for resource gathering)
I may disable anchors, though we had several people on all with several anchors running and the server was responding well. So I will just keep an eye on that.

I figure with 1 mystcraft world and twilight forest, that should be enough places to resource gather for quite awhile.

Milso

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft - you can just disable the crafting of descriptive books so that they can only be spawned by admins. Also a player in another age uses same memory as a player far away from other players.
Anchors - can be limited in forgeChunkLoading.cfg this will also limit other forms of chunk loading IE quarries
Forge {
# Maximum chunks per ticket for the mod.
maximumChunksPerTicket=25
# Maximum ticket count for the mod. Zero disables chunkloading capabilities.
maximumTicketCount=200
}

Nukes- if you have PVP then there best/only way to pass MFFS. If your PVE then they serve no use but greifing.
the other two i don't have 2 cents on as i don't use them.

FMan_0000

Jul 29, 2019
Mystcraft - to many ages will start to lag the main world.
Anchors - same as mystcraft.
Nukes- dont need this tnt can work fine.
Portal gun - Just plain dont need it
Twilight forest- extra dimension which can cause extra lag and to easy to gather resource
No no and NO Mystcraft is indeed awesome and not so laggy from my experience, just do a cleanup of ages every some time unless they have "registred" the age on a forum or something like that, and you will be fine. Anchors are also indeed awesome, just do a cleanup of them every some time to get rid of old, unused anchors.​
Nukes... depends of your server type.​
Portal gun: Maybe, I understand, specially for the moon portal, but you should only ban the portal gun. So players can still create portals with the place-able portal on walls, but they cannot create moon ones or pick up blocks.​
Twilight forest: NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO Twilight is a good dimension and some of their drangers "balance" the easy access to source. Also looks awesome.​

Sirbab

Jul 29, 2019
Just going to point out that atm, twilight forest has an item which acts more or less as an X-ray mod, the ore map allowed me to trade 9 diamonds, 9 iron, and 9 gold, + a magic map, for a reusable map that displays the location of all underground caverns, lava, and ore within 3 y of the creation spot. with it, i easily obtained 20 diamonds in less than 10 minutes, i feel like a config file for that is in order, to disable that recipe, or make an alternate recipe that is far more expensive, ie 9 blocks of diamonds.

Pyrotemplar

Jul 29, 2019
Just going to point out that atm, twilight forest has an item which acts more or less as an X-ray mod, the ore map allowed me to trade 9 diamonds, 9 iron, and 9 gold, + a magic map, for a reusable map that displays the location of all underground caverns, lava, and ore within 3 y of the creation spot. with it, i easily obtained 20 diamonds in less than 10 minutes, i feel like a config file for that is in order, to disable that recipe, or make an alternate recipe that is far more expensive, ie 9 blocks of diamonds.

thats exactly what im talking about, it great mod and looks awesome but it just seems to make resource gather very easily

Flip

Jul 29, 2019
thats exactly what im talking about, it great mod and looks awesome but it just seems to make resource gather very easily

We're dealing with mods that allow automation of large scale mining, fabricating diamonds, and turning energy into matter. I'd think that a mod/recipe for an item that still requires manual mining/caving would be the least of your concern when it comes to easy resource gathering.

Reactions: mr_vit

HiddenIsme

Jul 29, 2019
Im with mercury on this. My FTB server is running pretty smoothly yes at times opening a portal gun portal will cause lag and you may encounter some lag type world like explosions/fire in a forest biome or decay with ages, but why remove Gregtech? Trust me when i say at times i miss old EE and Tekkit but Gregtech is only making it harder to make machines... If you want to remove mods that make it easy to obtain things like fabricating diamonds you might as well remove IC2 and BC. with Gregtech i have spent more time mining for resources because the recipe is different from what i was used to.

I would say yes limit age creation to ops only and I actually like the portal mod... But again BC has quarries and IC2 has Mass Fabricators and ComputerCraft has turtles. Gregtech has the matter fabricator which overwrites the mass fabricator's recipe but it is a pain to make.

Up to you.

FMan_0000

Jul 29, 2019
Im with mercury on this. My FTB server is running pretty smoothly yes at times opening a portal gun portal will cause lag and you may encounter some lag type world like explosions/fire in a forest biome or decay with ages, but why remove Gregtech? Trust me when i say at times i miss old EE and Tekkit but Gregtech is only making it harder to make machines... If you want to remove mods that make it easy to obtain things like fabricating diamonds you might as well remove IC2 and BC. with Gregtech i have spent more time mining for resources because the recipe is different from what i was used to.

I would say yes limit age creation to ops only and I actually like the portal mod... But again BC has quarries and IC2 has Mass Fabricators and ComputerCraft has turtles. Gregtech has the matter fabricator which overwrites the mass fabricator's recipe but it is a pain to make.

Up to you.
They're just removing gregtech on most server becouse gregtech's debate. Half people loves gregtech, half people blames ftb for having gregtech. They're just removing it becouse someone just spammed on the server "Remove da shit of gegtech itss making harder everything!" I actually like gregtech.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
They're just removing gregtech on most server becouse gregtech's debate. Half people loves gregtech, half people blames ftb for having gregtech. They're just removing it becouse someone just spammed on the server "Remove da shit of gegtech itss making harder everything!" I actually like gregtech.

I'm not sure that's the reason why. If I ran a public server and people said those exact words over and over I wouldn't be inclined to listen ;). I would think that server admins/owners/whatever they are called look at the figures of people logging on. If the regulars seem to be going elsewhere then that would be a reason to consider changing their mods/configs. Also if the person in charge of the server doesn't want to play with particular mod(s) themselves then that's a good reason for them to remove it/them from their server.

HaoSs

Jul 29, 2019
you can just turn off the recipe for greg.

as for the list of mods to remove. The only one i really don't want is portal gun.
nuke and anchor are part of a mod, can't just remove them. but you can block them with recipe remover mod
and in mystcraft you can turn off the crafting of books :)

FMan_0000

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure that's the reason why. If I ran a public server and people said those exact words over and over I wouldn't be inclined to listen ;). I would think that server admins/owners/whatever they are called look at the figures of people logging on. If the regulars seem to be going elsewhere then that would be a reason to consider changing their mods/configs. Also if the person in charge of the server doesn't want to play with particular mod(s) themselves then that's a good reason for them to remove it/them from their server.

If a lot of people is leaving becouse they hate gregtech and they say "f*** this server, im leaving becouse of gregtech." the admins/mods/owners will only notice the people that is leaving becouse of this, not the people that is staying becouse they love gregtech.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Also note that most chunk-loaders primarly kick in if the people aren't around and often not even online, so Chunkloaders normally are not needed if a lot of people are only, since they often load the chunks anyways) and they are pretty limited with 3x3 chunks. Although it might be a good idea to hand out chunkloaders (I think you can disable them, not sure if only the crafting) to keep track of them.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
If a lot of people is leaving becouse they hate gregtech and they say "f*** this server, im leaving becouse of gregtech." the admins/mods/owners will only notice the people that is leaving becouse of this, not the people that is staying becouse they love gregtech.

I think it depends whether those people are the regular players or not. If you were a regular you'd be less likely to disrespect the server in that way, and you'd find a less offensive method of communicating your feelings on the subject (imho).

JademusSreg

Jul 29, 2019
MystCraft and TwilightForest are disabled indefinitely.
  • MystCraft gives players entirely too much power, especially the power to stress server capabilities.
  • TwilightForest adds plenty of nice content (blocks, items, mobs), but lacks sufficient configurability. Until the portal/dimension can be disabled, this mod will remain off.
Portalgun mod conveniently offers configuration for which blocks will support portals, so rather than disable it, I've set it so only End Stone and Iridium-Reinforced Stone are portal-conductive.

Also working on a server-mod to allow configuration of all recipes (and other things in the future), which should mitigate the issue of easy access to such unbalanced mod content.

FMan_0000

Jul 29, 2019
because it generates alot of hastle for the owner/s having to deal with
"we cant build this", or "we cant build that." its easier to take it out, then no one complains.
I won't enter to a non-gregtech ftb server ever on my life, and If I visit one server and after playing a while I find that gregtech is disable, I will try to grief and kill everyone.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I won't enter to a non-gregtech ftb server ever on my life, and If I visit one server and after playing a while I find that gregtech is disable, I will try to grief and kill everyone.
Remember to link back to this post every time you post an app to any of the servers ;)