Liquiducts

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
So I finally convinced myself to upgrade to liquiducts. Though less versatile, the throughput of liquiducts far exceeds those of waterproof pipes. Not to mention they simulate the physics of fluids a lot better.

How do you guys get the redstone signal to them? In compact situations, where a two block high signal is too much (block + wire), what other solutions have you guys come up with?

Right now most of my outputs are three valves in a row. The center one I keep as a wooden waterproof pipe with an autarchic gate set to "if tank have liquid -> redstone + pulsar", so it pumps on its own and activates two liquiducts next to them. This is the most elegant way I've found for now, but I'm wondering what you guys do.

iNd3x

Jul 29, 2019
A simple lever, usually, but the gate thing you are doing are also great, the lever can be placed on blocks around, the ceiling and many other places, but what i would like was an redstone liquiduct :p

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
If you can't have a block near the liquiduct for whatever reason you could also use a redstone block :b

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I've just started using them. I would like to know all the different ways people have come up with. Autarchic gates + pipes are so compact/convenient. Not to mention the additional logical control you gain by using gates/pipe wire. There is no control with liquiducts and they require a "redstone engine", just that the throughput is near instantaneous and is vastly superior to that of the waterproof pipe.[DOUBLEPOST=1375010643][/DOUBLEPOST]Well, a redstone block is one less space than the block + redstone signal. Vastly inferior to autarchic gate, but it would seem that nobody else has any other solution. I guess I'll stick to waterproof pipes with I need precise control of my liquids/compact set ups. When I require massive continuous throughput, I'll turn to liquiducts. I had 6 valves feeding 28 (maybe 32 now...) thermal generators, two sets of that set up. Waterproof piping was not good enough. Two liquiducts + one wooden waterproof pipe was more than sufficient. Gooooooooooooo figure.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
1 block of extra space required is not compact enough? If you want to be more compact you can keep the liquiduct in the default mode so it will work without redstone signal but it is only half the speed then. Having that waterproof pipe to turn them on could just as well not be there as it doesn't pump nearly as much. A lever would do just as well. If you need to control them you can always use structure pipe to house gates, it's there for things like this where you want to redstone control something else.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I'm just speculating. The more compact you can make you system, the better in the cases when you have limited space.

Now wait a second... Default mode is without arrows and you're telling me its capable of taking outputs from a block that doesn't have automated output? Say, an iron tank. Isn't it a requirement that I have a RS signal to the liquiduct regardless?

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Yes you need that arrow mode-thingy to pull liquids out. The Default mode only works for things that automaticly put stuff out (like boilers)

Reactions: RedBoss

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah boilers work without pull mode as do TE machines and MFR machines. Probably could possibly work with Xycraft tanks, too, but definitely not with iron tanks. But like I said it's only at the rate the machine pushes the liquid itself so the rate is lower in most situations.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it's equal to the output of the machine, which isn't too big an issue.

It's a problem when you have 6 machines outputting into one line or you need to feed 28 machines with four. (Two cases where replacing waterproof piping with liquiducts helped immensely.)

Though, I am glad that waterproof piping has its merits still. Gates by far trump any other means of control. So compact and versatile. A bit energy heavy to create, but once you get going with the biofarm, meh..

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
So, I did some testing....

Liquiducts can transfer infinite water, as long as the thing consuming the water doesn't exceed 160mB/t, or is the output from the valve limited to this...

If so... I am in the middle of an experiment, but I'm running 30 combustion engines off one line.

I have a lot of reformatting to do in ze base....

Reactions: mushroom taco

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
I guess it's based off pressure? The liquids are averaging across all machines.

This changes a lot of things. I'm glad I found these now.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Thermal Expansion conduits and liquiducts can't recognize "bottlenecks" : the network only knows about the input and output connections, and total number of blocks in the network. It roughly approximates pressure, with the internal reservoir of the liquiduct network (determined by liquid type times the number of liquiduct blocks) being filled and drained by the number of input and output devices.

You can also connect Liquiducts to Waterproof piping, although it's somewhat finicky (usually works better if you place the Waterproof pipe before placing the liquiducts). This will leave you stuck with the lower extraction rate, but can allow for more compact design choices where powered output is necessary and where Waterproof Pipes aren't ideal over long distances.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
King Lemming has stated previously that he was (at least) considering liquiducts that could pull without an external redstone signal, though at an added cost.

If you want a single block pump, you could use a wooden/emerald pipe + autarchic gate -> liquiduct, but that seems redundant anyways.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
If you needed the room to place an engine on a wooden waterproof, you can certainly find the room for a redstone block or even a wireless redstone receiver.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
So, I did some testing....

Liquiducts can transfer infinite water, as long as the thing consuming the water doesn't exceed 160mB/t, or is the output from the valve limited to this...

If so... I am in the middle of an experiment, but I'm running 30 combustion engines off one line.

I have a lot of reformatting to do in ze base....
A single liquiduct can only pull from or push to a container at a rate of 160mB/t but there is no limit to how much liquid can be transferred through liquiducts. So you just need to have more liquiducts connected to the container you interact with if you need more throughput for that container.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well after some thinking, a liquiduct design is still 7x7 in space. My current set up is 8.5 blocks, but has the added safety features allowed by gate/pipe wire control (i.e. engines are controlled by a signal which "on" state is determined by the presence of liquid in the water tank.)

Liquiducts offer me the ability to have a near infinite throughput, relative to waterproof piping. You can also achieve similar effects to stone/cobblestone piping non-interaction by initializing a liquiduct, though total behaviour of this feature I have yet to understand.

I have already determined a few places where usage of liquiducts is inferior to waterproof piping. Spent a whole night thinking about it >_>.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
Well after some thinking, a liquiduct design is still 7x7 in space. My current set up is 8.5 blocks, but has the added safety features allowed by gate/pipe wire control (i.e. engines are controlled by a signal which "on" state is determined by the presence of liquid in the water tank.)

Liquiducts offer me the ability to have a near infinite throughput, relative to waterproof piping. You can also achieve similar effects to stone/cobblestone piping non-interaction by initializing a liquiduct, though total behaviour of this feature I have yet to understand.

I have already determined a few places where usage of liquiducts is inferior to waterproof piping. Spent a whole night thinking about it >_>.

Have you tried a BC Structure Pipe with a gate on it to power a Liquiduct output? Then use a Facade to cover it up. Very compact, invisible, high throughput and all the control of a gate.