liquiducts vs liquid pipes

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
That depends on the materials you have available, the machines you have available, how far the machines are from each other, and how much water this engine needs.

Cheetohz

Jul 29, 2019
I am experimenting with rotary craft for the first time. I am trying to set up a single steam engine. A pump with 2 DC engines cannot keep up.

John.E

Dec 18, 2013
Doral, FL
I am experimenting with rotary craft for the first time. I am trying to set up a single steam engine. A pump with 2 DC engines cannot keep up.

How do you have this setup? I haven't had any issues pumping water with a single DC engine. Alternatively, I'll split off some power from the Steam engine itself to run the pump.

Cheetohz

Jul 29, 2019
How do you have this setup? I haven't had any issues pumping water with a single DC engine. Alternatively, I'll split off some power from the Steam engine itself to run the pump.
2014-01-21_094552.png
2014-01-21_094718.png

Merendel

Jul 29, 2019
I've generaly found if I want to run a RC pump I'm better off puting a steam on it and, if useing that water for power use that single pump to keep several steam engiens runing. However most of the time I'll forgo bothering with the pump unless I'm trying to do something that requires I use RC pipes to transport it (powering sprinklers for example). I find it much easier to just run one or more aqueous accumulators into TE ducts and put water strait into the machines that way. No power required and TE ducts are much easier to control where fluids end up. they also have the advantage of they can connect to other mods machines if you need to supply water to several different groups of machines in the same room.

Cheetohz

Jul 29, 2019
So, I blew up another steam engine using fluiducts and an aqueous accumulator. What am I doing wrong?

Aqueous accumulator>fluiducts>Steam engine placed over block of lava>rotational dynamo>ME controller

John.E

Dec 18, 2013
Doral, FL
So, I blew up another steam engine using fluiducts and an aqueous accumulator. What am I doing wrong?

Aqueous accumulator>fluiducts>Steam engine placed over block of lava>rotational dynamo>ME controller

One DC engine is more than enough power to provide water using a pump. The Aqueous Accumulator is also good enough. The problem you're running into is that the steam engine will explode once it reaches a certain temperature. The water pumped into the engine has zero effect on this.

Instead, you either need to use a cooler heat source (such as netherack that is on fire), or you need to cool off the engine. I believe you can use a cooling fin for that. Just place the cooling fin on top of the steam engine.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012

Don't use lava unless you like losing your machines.

Cheetohz

Jul 29, 2019
I believe you can use a cooling fin for that. Just place the cooling fin on top of the steam engine.
Thanks for this, it is working wonders with cooling fins atop. However, I am still unable to power my ME controller alone with 3 steam engines and 3 rotational dynamos. I learned alot here today, but still have yet to accomplish the mission

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for this, it is working wonders with cooling fins atop. However, I am still unable to power my ME controller alone with 3 steam engines and 3 rotational dynamos. I learned alot here today, but still have yet to accomplish the mission

IIRC, each steam engine only produces like 2 RF/tick. 3 is like 6 RF/tick or 0.6 MJ per pick, which is not enough to do hardly anything.

Cheetohz

Jul 29, 2019
Way off topic now, but what sort of power system can I set up that will provide constant power with minimal effort? If it's a complex system, I do not mind. as long as I don't have to tend to it ever 5 minutes by manually filling it with fuel, etc.

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
Way off topic now, but what sort of power system can I set up that will provide constant power with minimal effort? If it's a complex system, I do not mind. as long as I don't have to tend to it ever 5 minutes by manually filling it with fuel, etc.

One or more steam dynamos connected to an energy cell. If you want to be super cheap, put a pressure plate on it to only output to ME controller when you are at the interface. Not 100% automatic, but good enough to start.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If one DC engine doesn't seem enough, look into using a gearbox to get more power from the engine into the pump.

Alternately, you might consider using an AC engine. Plug it straight into a rotational dynamo, and use Timers to run the AC engine, set to activate as above, only when you're on the plate. Set the timers to a low number but .050 off of each other, and that should provide a fair amount of power.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I am using the extra utilities liquid transfer nodes and pipes while playing with RC and it has worked well. I don't think I would bother with the RC pump unless you are using something that runs on pressure such as the sprinkler.