Liquid Sorting

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

NocturnalDanger

Jul 29, 2019
For Infinity Evolved, I'm trying to use a Ender Fluid Conduit (It doesnt have wasted liquid like Fluiducts) to automatically pump out the liquid/molten metal from a smeltery.

My problem: It is (evenly) distributed to all of my empty drums, instead of the same liquid filling the same drum, multiple drums per liquid. (I chose drums because they dont link together, they stay separate)

Is there a fluid pipe Im missing that searches for inventories, or remembers where a liquid goes. Im trying to avoid filtering/whitelisting because there are over 100 liquids (based on a search of "drum" in the creative inv.)

Maybe a way to auto-whitelist a liquid when it goes through a servo/transfer node type of object?

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Is there a fluid pipe Im missing that searches for inventories, or remembers where a liquid goes. Im trying to avoid filtering/whitelisting because there are over 100 liquids (based on a search of "drum" in the creative inv.)
One option could perhaps be to use AE2 fluid storage. Either just using the cells directly as storage, or attaching fluid storage buses with different priorities on the drums to have them fill up in sequence.

NocturnalDanger

Jul 29, 2019
One option could perhaps be to use AE2 fluid storage. Either just using the cells directly as storage, or attaching fluid storage buses with different priorities on the drums to have them fill up in sequence.

I like that idea, but I kinda had a vision of a giant room with all of these liquids around it. With a small smeltery in the middle where you would cast them.

All controlled VIA ComputerCraft, which ill program myself. (Which brings me another question, can I use ComputerCraft to "Identify" a liquid?)

EDIT: My reply was mostly towards your reply as I read it has using ME Fluid Storage, not using their busses on drums.

EDIT2: Im in the awkward stage of AE where I want to set it up, and I have everything necessary, I just have to craft it, but its too much tedious work that I dont want to do

Last edited:

Michael280

Jul 29, 2019
Have you looked into the Logistic Pipes fluid system. If you connect it to an ME system through an interface you can have your ME system auto-cast an ingot/block on demand using a casting table/basin.

You can also set all of your drums to keep a minimal level so they don't switch liquid types.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I like that idea, but I kinda had a vision of a giant room with all of these liquids around it. With a small smeltery in the middle where you would cast them.
I would recommend using storage busses(hidden in the floor) on something like BC Tanks then, stacked up in towers around the room. Gives a cool effect of working like gauges when getting filled with liquids.

I did something like this with Liquid XP a while back:
2rpmPNV.png

Priority on the storage busses makes them fill up in sequence.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
EnderIO conduits do have a tendency to distribute things as evenly as they can, which sounds like it's the source of your issue.

Can you filter EIO fluid conduits? If so, that'd probably be the most effective solution.

If not, you could "prime" all of your drums with a bucket's worth of each fluid you want to store. The conduits won't push fluids into containers that they won't fit in, such as tanks that are already storing some other fluid. This will work fine, as long as you're careful to never drain the drums completely.

If you're too lazy to configure all of your barrels ahead of time, a long unbranching line of ExtraUtils transfer pipes that goes past all of the barrels might be your next best bet. Transfer nodes (without a round-robin-like upgrade) will always insert whatever they're transporting into the first available thing they find- that is, unlike EIO conduits, they prioritize tanks closer to the node. You could still get some fluids winding up in multiple barrels if previously-filled barrels run empty, but it won't be nearly as bad as EIO filling all of them with the same stuff. Also note that Sorting Pipes *should* work with fluids, if you double-click a bucket into the filters.

NocturnalDanger

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the ideas. So far I'm not hearing anything like a pipe at auto-whitelists or anything.

Im guessing my best bet would be AE2 or to configure the pipes manually. Thanks!

EDIT:

Well, if I whitelist Resonant Ender, it still goes into the other barrels. So I cant have an overflow. So it looks like I have to use an ME system.

Not too excited to set one up though. Its so much crafting. (Also I have always had issues setting up auto-crafting.)

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If you put a higher tier servo on a Fluiduct, you can tell it to deposit into nearest/farthest first. Once a liquid is in a drum, it won't be a valid inventory for other fluids, so they will automatically be placed in the next available drum. The only downside is if a drum is emptied, it becomes a valid inventory again for future liquid.

My workaround is to set up the storage with no extraction at the start. Then, as the drums fill up, whitelisting is as simple as filling a bucket, assigning the whitelist, then pouring the bucket back into the drum. This saves trying to find a bucket of each liquid to assign the whitelist beforehand, and only has you whitelisting fluids you actually use.

NocturnalDanger

Jul 29, 2019
If you put a higher tier servo on a Fluiduct, you can tell it to deposit into nearest/farthest first. Once a liquid is in a drum, it won't be a valid inventory for other fluids, so they will automatically be placed in the next available drum. The only downside is if a drum is emptied, it becomes a valid inventory again for future liquid.

My workaround is to set up the storage with no extraction at the start. Then, as the drums fill up, whitelisting is as simple as filling a bucket, assigning the whitelist, then pouring the bucket back into the drum. This saves trying to find a bucket of each liquid to assign the whitelist beforehand, and only has you whitelisting fluids you actually use.

Thank you, that sounds great. Thatll work with a couple overflows too, for fluids I dont have very much of.(Like manylium, I just set up a quarry in the nether to help get Cobalt and Ardite.)

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019
To start of with, the ender fluid conduits can handle multiple fluids, so that's a non-issue.

Now, you can filter each output but you need to filter every output for it to work properly. Remember, unless it's not on a whitelist or on a blacklist it's considered a viable destination. You will get that with every sorting system.
Finally, you can set a priority for all eligible outputs though it might need an advanced filter, I'm not sure. Setting that will ensure that that particular destination will go first if there's room for it. otherwise it defaults to nearest destination first.