Liquid metals could be AWESOME!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
As title says, that's what I hope some mod developer will move towards in terms of feature development; due to Tinker's Construct most metals (and some other materials like stone and obsidian) now exist in a liquid state.

It'd be awesome if some other mod picks up this, either as a prime part of the mod or just as a compability/cool thing to do. Something like a molding machine that you can input liquid metal into to make finished stuff of a specific type. Perhaps with a little saving in resources or allowing new kinds of metals to be used for old recipes. Perhaps including the factorization plastic to make plastic buckets by molding them, for example.

Or, with more expensive kinds of smelteries requiring power, make for simpler smelting/molding of metals to allow liquid state to be a valid way to store metal to just craft into whatever when needed.

There are probably way more ways it could be used in a creative fashion by modmakers and players alike that I with my limited fantasy can't think up.

I just wanted to say I really appreciate this feature by TiC, and think it could have widespread usage out of the specific way it's used within TiC. It really has potential.

Reactions: The classless

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
I did not know that! Thanks for pointing that out!

Then thanks fred4106 who seems to be the dev of Liquid Metals for coming up with that! :)

Still think it has huge potential in machines.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
I would love to see more liquid metals, personally. I can't get enough of 'em. I just want to fill an entire max-sized steel tank with every liquidisable metal in the game. As a long-term, "look how metal I am" sort of brag project.

Sent from boobs (because why not?)

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
I like them too, I've not tried to store them in RC tanks, does it work? lol is it feasable? the build I'm working on could depend on that very thing of storing liquid metals. I really love them and it's cool to set up systems using them. Also <3 gaseous glowstone... wish we could get other awesome liquids.

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
Well if you can store 'em in portable tanks, ordinary Buildcraft tanks, and ender tanks, all without issue, I think it's no stretch of the imagination to assume it works in RC tanks as well. Doesn't hurt to try!

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Yes you can use RC tanks with Fred's mod. It's pretty well balanced too, you can get more than 2 ingots per ore but the machines aren't cheap and they use a lot more power than a typical ore doubling setup.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
Well if you can store 'em in portable tanks, ordinary Buildcraft tanks, and ender tanks, all without issue, I think it's no stretch of the imagination to assume it works in RC tanks as well. Doesn't hurt to try!

Lol.. It kinda does, playing singleplayer lan with my gal and she's put a lot of work into the base we're in so yes, yes she would hurt me a ton if I broke it, lol I've started to back up the world at certain points (usually every night when we're done playing) and do all my testing when I'm on alone.

Was meaning with liquid metals from tinker's construct btw.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Since they go by the forge liquid dictionary I don't think there should be any problems? I think RC tanks can automatically handle every liquid added, though there might be exceptions? And maybe not all liquids would work as well as they could (for example, lava in an RC tank gives of light AFAIK, I don't know if liquid glowstone would).

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
Since they go by the forge liquid dictionary I don't think there should be any problems? I think RC tanks can automatically handle every liquid added, though there might be exceptions? And maybe not all liquids would work as well as they could (for example, lava in an RC tank gives of light AFAIK, I don't know if liquid glowstone would).

I think it may, I was going to try something like that since I have seemed to have gone retarded getting tons of glowstone (still one of my fav vanilla blocks)

My main concern is that the liquids wouldn't store properly aka lead wouldn't just go into the lead tank if melted with iron and dumped via piping.

Strubinator

Jul 29, 2019
Some MJ or EU powered auto stamper would be pretty neat. Would there be a way to require a special tank/pipes to pump around all that metal? Something made with a material with a high melting point and a source of heat to keep it molten, because storing molten iron in a glass tank sounds kinda....weird. I would love to see more mods using tinkers construct as a base, because otherwise it doesnt make much sense to autocraft tools and armor with liquid metal.

Anubis

Jul 29, 2019
My main concern is that the liquids wouldn't store properly aka lead wouldn't just go into the lead tank if melted with iron and dumped via piping.
I've tossed that problem in the back of my head for awhile now. The only solution I have come up with is instead of 1 large smeltery for all the metals you can several small smelteries dedicated for each metal type.

Malexion

Jul 29, 2019

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
I've tossed that problem in the back of my head for awhile now. The only solution I have come up with is instead of 1 large smeltery for all the metals you can several small smelteries dedicated for each metal type.

I was actually thinking that, it's my current thoughts on it a build. I made a slave village with a factory that will have a seperate smeltery for each. Ironically I'm trying to figure out how to make it an on demand system with AE, so if there were some better things like "liquid filter pipe" that could easily be set between each liquid. with a small gui... kinda like how decanting golems work.

Metals would be awesome of a mod, I'd also like something to be done with quicksilver, perhaps a way to power armor with it and based on metals used it would enchance the armor, quicksilver being used could give flight/limited flight the possibilities of using these are as much as solid blocks and ingots..

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
LiquidMetals did liquid metals first. It's a pretty cool mod, if you don't mind the awkward ratios of input (those were dumb ._.)

This has been Fun Facts With Liara.

That, and the horrible liquid metal textures (IMO)

everything else i loved, though, and unfortunately it's not updated