Linux installation methods - Servers

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Wdrussell1

Jul 29, 2019
So, I have been out of the game for a while. I am used to just getting a bunch of files in a zip file and then FTPing them over to my linux server (CLI only) and starting it up. I now see there is a linux option. However i notice that these new downloads are actually installers for the apps. The linux one didnt work for me so i assume its not some script i can just run via bash or something else, it likely needs a GUI. Is my best bet going to be this installer on windows and the typical FTP of files.

Nothing else stream lined? It would be nice. Think of the linux guys!

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
use curl or wget for the linux installer - there's no need for gui and it works fine with headless servers as well.

Wdrussell1

Jul 29, 2019
use curl or wget for the linux installer - there's no need for gui and it works fine with headless servers as well.

So i should be able to run the installer as i would any other script? to be clear your talking about grabbing the installer directly using the same link i would click to download it.

wildkurt

Aug 26, 2020
I download the Linux server installer into my server folder. Then I give it execute permissions "chmod +x ...." and then run it. Works fine for my Ubuntu Linux server using the command-line interface. I don't think it needs a GUI interface at all.

Silvermane

Sep 3, 2020
I'm having trouble here as well. All I get is an "application/octet-stream" type file that has no extension. I assume it's a binary blob of some kind, but figuring out how to execute it was another story. When I use wget I end up with an extensionless file called "linux" that also does nothing.

I'm trying to download FTB Interactions.

This process was a whole lot easier when I could download a ZIP or TAR file, SCP it up to the server and then use secure shell to extract it. Can we have that again, or some sort of guide for how to use these new files?

I have no idea at this point how to get this install done.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
I'm having trouble here as well. All I get is an "application/octet-stream" type file that has no extension. I assume it's a binary blob of some kind, but figuring out how to execute it was another story. When I use wget I end up with an extensionless file called "linux" that also does nothing.

I'm trying to download FTB Interactions.

This process was a whole lot easier when I could download a ZIP or TAR file, SCP it up to the server and then use secure shell to extract it. Can we have that again, or some sort of guide for how to use these new files?

I have no idea at this point how to get this install done.

Get the file, change permissions and run it from command line - does that not work?

Silvermane

Sep 3, 2020
No, it doesn't. I've allowed execution, but there's no way to actually run the file. I can't do it with bash, and I don't know what else to use. I'm running Ubuntu Server 20 LTS with no GUI.

Running with bash throws "cannot execute binary file" as expected.

Just running the file straight produces "command not found" instead.

Silvermane

Sep 3, 2020
I just 'solved' this by downloading the windows executable, running it, then zipping the files and uploading them to my server. Wouldn't it be easier to just roll back to the old method of downloading a ZIP file with all the server bits in there?

wildkurt

Aug 26, 2020
When I did it on my Ubuntu Linux server I did the following:
1. Downloaded to the file I wanted to install the server to
2. Opened a terminal window
3. I then typed in "chmod +x <filename>"
4. then I typed in "./<filename>" and it ran the program which asked me if I wanted to install.
5. Typed in yes and hit enter
6. It downloaded all the server files

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
No, it doesn't. I've allowed execution, but there's no way to actually run the file. I can't do it with bash, and I don't know what else to use. I'm running Ubuntu Server 20 LTS with no GUI.

There's no issues with using a server without a GUI.

I just 'solved' this by downloading the windows executable, running it, then zipping the files and uploading them to my server. Wouldn't it be easier to just roll back to the old method of downloading a ZIP file with all the server bits in there?

You are most likely doing something wrong along the way - and the answer for now is no, there will not be any zip file for download.

Try and follow the instructions above - this is kind of normal for running Linux servers using only command line.

Silvermane

Sep 3, 2020
I must be missing a command somewhere. For the moment, I won't worry about it, but I'll give this a try again next time I want to start a server. I can see how it could be an effective way to deliver a server pack, and I've not used curl all that much amazingly.

Thanks for clarifying this, however.

ExactlyTwice

Sep 1, 2021
I know this is pretty delayed, but I'm guessing someone else will land here eventually since this is the only Google result for the 'cannot execute binary file' error that is on FTB's website. So I made an account just to answer this issue here on this forum.

The issue the OP is having is that you need to download the correct installer for the hardware on your server. In this case, OP probably needed to download the arm linux server installer. Pretty simple solution, and I'm surprised no one suggested it here in this thread.

Tony32

Jul 29, 2019
Just running the file straight produces "command not found" instead.

Sounds like you are just typing the name in bash, thus no command found.. to execute an executable or script you need to chmod +x the file, then do ./filename the dot slash is what makes it execute. I run headless Ubuntu server without any issues (except failed downloads sometimes)