Limit eu/t usage

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asiotech

Jul 29, 2019
I have a methane farm that gets powered by the cells in multiple gas turbines.
The industrial centrifuges that I use are being powered by the eu that's produced by the gas turbines.
(Zombie spawner ->rotten flesh->industrial centrifuge->gas turbine->MFE->industrial centrifuge->...) (FTB 1.5.2 WGT 0.8 pack)
But now I want to use part of the eu to power a quarry.
I do this by using power converters to convert the eu into mj. (IC2 LV consumer - energy bridge - BC producer)
And now the problem is that it uses more EU/t then I want it to use.
(eventually the MFE will run out and the process of making methane stops)
It is only getting LV but uses 64-128 EU/t (switches between those very fast)
Is it possible to lower the EU consumption to something like 32EU/t or something like that?

The obvious solution is making the farm bigger but I'm at the early game now.
The farm uses 3 industrial centrifuges and 3 gas turbines.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Put a batbox inline in front of the power converter. It will only let 32 EU/t through.

atheneftw

Jul 29, 2019
in my setup, i have 2 centrifuges feeding 2 turbines: normally only 1 turbine will run, if energy has nowhere to go the cells will store up on the other turbine (call it some clever kind of energy storage :p) your solution here would be to just have the turbine directly powering the centrifuges and leftover goes to mfe. but you need 3 stacks of tin cells for this to work, or the loop will fail

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Transformers or a energy storage device should do the trick. Abdiel's suggestion would work, or you could throw a LV transformer inline as well instead.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Also, a question.

Can you feed liquid methane into the gas turbines? i.e. Dump the methane from the cells into a tank with via liquid transposer, to save on tin....

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
You can also use the powered buildcraft pipes from 3.7.1. They no longer explode, and no longer lose any power. You can use a lower tier power pipe to limit the amount of MJ that can traverse it. cobblestone maxes at 8MJ and stone maxes at 16MJ. If your quarry is on the other end of a line with a lower tier pipe section, that should limit the total MJ that can go over the line and hopefully limit the amount of EU that your power bridge uses.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Transformers or a energy storage device should do the trick. Abdiel's suggestion would work, or you could throw a LV transformer inline as well instead.

Not entirely correct. A LV transformer takes one 128 EU packet per tick and converts it to four 32 EU packets per tick. It only changes the size of the packet(s), not the actual power throughput. The batbox is in fact mandatory in order to throttle down to 32 EU/t, as there is no transformer that can throttle lower than 128 EU/t.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
You will need both. Transformer and BatBox.

Transformer down to LV in BatBox or boom ;)

asiotech

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks all, when I have time I will try all of those and post the outcome.
Edit: The cheapest way is using a batbox.
MFE -> LV transformer ->Batbox -> EnergyBridge
But with the energy cell you have better MJ usage control.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
a batbox -> power converter -> quarry will give around 12MJ (not sure on the exact conversion rate).

an LV transformer will give around 4 times that (so will an MFE tho) wich is around the exact amount a quarry should need to run full power i think.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
You could also place a redstone energy cell between the BC producer and the quarry and throttle down the output to EU/2.5 for the power you want to send,, but note that you'll lose 5% of your power output to the quarry in doing so.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
You could also place a redstone energy cell between the BC producer and the quarry and throttle down the output to EU/2.5 for the power you want to send,, but note that you'll lose 5% of your power output to the quarry in doing so.

I believe the power loss is only via conduits.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the power loss is only via conduits.
Yes. Unless you've got a massive power network, conductive pipes are now better than conduits (diamond conductive pipes allow 1024mj/t to pass through them without exploding, though they might be a bit expensive).

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. Unless you've got a massive power network, conductive pipes are now better than conduits (diamond conductive pipes allow 1024mj/t to pass through them without exploding, though they might be a bit expensive).

awesome, sounds like theyre mimicking ic2 in their design in a way while leaving out machine limits, which is good because mj power doesn't scale to large numbers very well at the moment, in my opinion. Now to address mj producing without gigantic power rooms of engines or bridge use....hmmm

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
Except pipes blow up, conduit doesn't.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Except pipes blow up, conduit doesn't.

pipes no longer blow up in the latest versions. The one advantage conduits have over pipes, is that whatever power is available is shared evenly. Pipes still don't share power evenly if you don't have enough power in the network. I am actually using this aspect to run a MFR tree farm and fertilizer efficiently.

Power in pipes feeds the harvester first, then once that is full of energy, the fertilizer receives power, grows a tree, then the harvester chops it down, then refills its energy buffer, then the fertilizer gets power again... If I were using conduits, each machine would get even power distribution, which would cause all the trees to grow at once. This would cause me to lose out on a lot of leaf blocks for saplings and apples, or ic2 power if I were collecting the leaf blocks to convert to plant balls.