Like posts? Maybe dislike as well

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
That's all I have to say about it. I don't know if you have thought through this already, and I don't even know if it's worth implementing, but maybe disliking posts and maintaining a reputation system would help to filter out who's comments we can trust and which comments is just random *crap* all the time.

It may produce also a large number of side effects, like giving the ability to the people we don't want to read (the low reputation ones) to downvote everyone, but this could also be countered with not allowing <= 0 members to up/down vote anyone.

Of course this needs a lot of tinkering, I just wanted to throw out the idea or get to know if anyone thought of that already.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking from my experience as a forum administrator elsewhere and not as an official stance here, because I only get to give my opinion here, I don't make the judgment call:

Running a quick cost-benefit analysis on the suggestion, I'm not seeing what having to jury-rig the Likes system to turn it into a Reputation system would get us. The XenForo developers were very conscious in choosing to have their default be a positive feedback only button, having come from developing a platform with a plus/minus reputation system and having gotten ample feedback on what it does to some communities. Forum modification maxim #1: What benefit am I getting from modifying the base code and exposing myself to issues each time the forum updates? If the answer is "I'm not sure" or "not much", you probably shouldn't modify no matter how neat the feature seems to be.

Every movement to crowdsource "integrity" is going to have its flaws. I personally would rather not incorporate the ones associated with having a thumbs down button here. Elsehwere I've had to break up serious drama in the past re: reputation systems and especially reputation systems that allow "anonymous" commentary (yes, making it anonymous makes it even worse if you can believe it; welcome to GIFT in application). I can see that kind of thing easily happening here if we moved to a system like that, and that's not a positive thing. You want to see passive-aggressive jutsu to the max? Install a rep system.

If you want to see such a system in action, visit reddit. Of course, then you'd eventually run into the subs where the moderators are themselves sick of the downvote trains and have tweaked the subreddit templates to disallow downvoting. Can't say I blame them. =)

Shirkit

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking from my experience as a forum administrator elsewhere and not as an official stance here, because I only get to give my opinion here, I don't make the judgment call:

Thanks for sharing your experience! That actually solves the case, I had already feared that it brings more negative things than positives (since we were talking about adding negatives things! lol)

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I think the easiest way to demonstrate how unfavorable a system like that would be is to imagine how you would feel if Vauthil just gave your post a thumbs down for not agreeing with your suggestion. Then you thumbs him down for thumbing you down, then you thumbs me down while you're at it for agreeing with him, and we're all left feeling the same way!

Reactions: Yusunoha

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I think the easiest way to demonstrate how unfavorable a system like that would be is to imagine how you would feel if Vauthil just gave your post a thumbs down for not agreeing with your suggestion. Then you thumbs him down for thumbing you down, then you thumbs me down while you're at it for agreeing with him, and we're all left feeling the same way!

tMIk6dY.gif

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER.

We've gotta have an image conversation thread, it would be awesome.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
In my own eyes- a dislike button would be a bad idea; solely because the like button is annoying enough on its own- is there a way to remove the like option from my posts?
(I already turned off notifications after some idiot went through a thread hitting like on every post.)
In terms of community behaviour;
a named dislike option (similar to the 'like' one) would just result in Fyber's example.
if it stays anonymous (youtube comments), it can result in "zero bombing" fanboys users spamming said button because they don't like a particular user/mod/pack. (as in people going through someone's profile post list and hitting it on every one.)​

Generally given how volatile the forums already are; this is just throwing more fuel on the fire- and not the fun kind of fuel either.

Reactions: Jinbobo

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
In my own eyes- a dislike button would be a bad idea; solely because the like button is annoying enough on its own- is there a way to remove the like option from my posts?
(I already turned off notifications after some idiot went through a thread hitting like on every post.)
In terms of community behaviour;
a named dislike option (similar to the 'like' one) would just result in Fyber's example.
if it stays anonymous (youtube comments), it can result in "zero bombing" fanboys users spamming said button because they don't like a particular user/mod/pack. (as in people going through someone's profile post list and hitting it on every one.)​

Generally given how volatile the forums already are; this is just throwing more fuel on the fire- and not the fun kind of fuel either.
I liked your thread so you can get another alert.
Kappa.png

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/account/alert-preferences

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Maybe it could be that threads can be up voted or down voted so that things like Greg related threads and other drama can be down voted and things like ask a Simone could be up voted leading to the drama being hidden to most people unless they are really invested in ranting

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.