Lights mod

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
I'm in the middle of changing many of the mods in my server pack, and I am in need of a lights mod, a la Project Red's cool lights. I've removed Project Red for a few reasons, so I'm not looking for Blue Power or any other Redpower clone.

I need some various lights and lanterns and all that cool stuff. Yeah, Immersive Engineering has some, TE has a few, but I'm looking to have several different styles if I can, in as many colors as I can.

(Yes, it's for 1.7.10, before it's asked)
Thanks for any help! :)

Photoloss

Jul 29, 2019
BiblioCraft and Railcraft have "lantern" style blocks, Thaumcraft also has three but they're functional blocks.
ExtraUtilities has 16 colour variations of the vanilla lamp and glowstone, plus the "argh my eyes" Lapis Caelestis blocks which also glow.
For generic "block" lights, EnderIO lets you paint vanilla glowstone, Chisel lets you pick from many different texture variations and Carpenter's Blocks both lets you light up regular blocks and has a retexturable lantern.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Mariculture has a set of the "Redpower" lamps. But it is a lot to add just for that.

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
Mariculture has a set of the "Redpower" lamps. But it is a lot to add just for that.
That's my issue. There's a lot of cool "lamps" and stuff, but their all in huge mods. I'm probably just going to end up using the 2 Project Red modules needed for the lights but... Considering I get this weird FPS drop from them(It's just my graphics card, I believe), it won't work for me specifically.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
That's my issue. There's a lot of cool "lamps" and stuff, but their all in huge mods. I'm probably just going to end up using the 2 Project Red modules needed for the lights but... Considering I get this weird FPS drop from them(It's just my graphics card, I believe), it won't work for me specifically.
Well, a thing you can do, is find some other blocks which looks sort of like a lamp(or which you can make look like a lamp) and cut it up into microblock covers. Then mine out a block, put a torch in it, and put the Microblock inside the same hole. The light from the torch will shine through the microblock. You an dress it up nicer if you want by applying a Glass Cover on the outside, surrounding it with "trimming" of microblocks etc.

You can also do this to make projected light cones on the ground(dig a hole, put torch in, cover with microblock cover of the same surface material).

RenzosNips

Jul 29, 2019
Well, a thing you can do, is find some other blocks which looks sort of like a lamp(or which you can make look like a lamp) and cut it up into microblock covers. Then mine out a block, put a torch in it, and put the Microblock inside the same hole. The light from the torch will shine through the microblock. You an dress it up nicer if you want by applying a Glass Cover on the outside, surrounding it with "trimming" of microblocks etc.
I might end up going this way for myself, and leaving the PR lamps in for my players. While they wouldn't be able to "turn off", I think I'd be fine using full block illumination for places where I "need" to turn it on and off.
I just wanted to see if anyone knew of a mod that was specifically for this aesthetic lighting. Weird that there isn't.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Have you played with Garden Stuff? It has a number of lamps, as well as a boatload of nice aesthetic touches (fences, plant pots, lattices, and a pottery station that I've been meaning to check out). The lamps are mostly of the hanging variety (can be made in many (16?) colors) and the mod adds chains with which to hang them.