Lazy way of building a superflat tech map?

Rubik842

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I'm wanting to build a structure from a book (a silo from Wool) to get a sense of the scale and layout. Being able to walk around inside one would be very interesting.
I've roughed some stuff out in vanilla on a super flat with a desert up at Y=248 but I'm really needing carpenters blocks, chisel and some other things like that to get the spiral stairwell and structure looking right.
Someone has started one on x box minecraft but I don't think they ever finished it.
These silos are absolutely huge (144 floors totaling 6000 feet in height) so I'm just doing the top part of one from bedrock to sky.

A nice to have: assuming I manage to complete more than one slice a method of automatically teleporting across to the next slice of the silo would be really useful. People in the story take DAYS to climb this thing.

I tried to launch the DW20 pack in creative with the super flat terrain generation but it wouldn't launch.
How would I go about making a modpack run in creative mode with the custom terrain presets?
Assuming I use a well known kitchen sink pack what mods should I disable?
Or is putting my own selection of mods together much easier than I think?

Edit: Used FTB lite, then pulled in some extra mods from another pack directory on my PC to add in carpenters blocks and chisel. Used ender quarry with world hole block to dig my stairwell hole.

Another edit: it's a start. I had to do the camera tower first to set the levels of my floors and stairwell.
The camera tower is based on a blueprint a fan of the books made which the author posted on his webpage. I need to shape the crater and scatter sand about because nearly all of the concrete should be covered. Some of the airlock exit ramp is visible near the edge on the aerial shot. Fence is a temporary guide for the 50 metre diameter of the silo.
Making things look hundreds of years old and ravaged by nanomachines is not easy in minecraft.
Hopefully these thumbs work. Got a few ideas for chisel blocks and carpenter blocks for the stairwell.

Last edited: