lava power trouble

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

GuardIan4220

Jul 29, 2019
I'm wanting to make a lava power plant for powering my industrial blast furnace and industrial electrolyzer. But I'm not sure how to make it self sustaining or make it generate enough energy to be useful.

Edit: I'm thinking of just using the cobblestone from my quarry to create lava in magma crucibles.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Grab lava from the nether using a BC pump, liquid transposer, and ender chests liquid tesseract, and then thermal generator. Or you can mine netherrack, and use a magma crucible to create lava at a profit of power. Use magmatic engines to power the liquid transposers. Good luck.

Last edited by Hitmaniac on Sunday, March 03, 2013 (03/03/2013) at 15:58:17 PST by Gus.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
The closest you can come to self-sustaining power with lava is to either build a frame ship with a pump on it in a Mystcraft age consisting of nothing but an eternal sea of lava, and have it automatically move forward a ways when it detects that it drained one part of the ocean; or to get some nether bees running and producing Phosphor, which can be combined with cobblestone in the squeezer to make lava, which then should be able to run a Magmatic Engine, which might be efficient enough to produce more lava than it uses.

If you want self-sustaining IC2 power, I would recommend forgetting lava and going for advanced solars (You're running Mindcrack, as opposed to Direwolf's pack, right?), a fusion reactor (also not to be found in Direwolf's pack, but since the industrial blast furnace and electrolyzer are in Gregtech, I assume that the other things in Gregtech are also options), or ExtraBees producing uranium to fuel a nuclear reactor. For Buildcraft power, I'd recommend a Steve's Carts tree farm, sawmilling the wood for use in a solid fueled steam boiler, and fermenting the saplings into biomass, and distilling that into biofuel for a liquid-fueled boiler.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: I'm thinking of just using the cobblestone from my quarry to create lava in magma crucibles.

Yes, that will work, but you won't get very much output in regards to power. Your best bet is still to make a BC pump, and tap the nether's lava pools. You will likely need to move the pump once a week if it is used constantly.

Use the lava in a thermal generator, and you'll be making loads of EU that way. Good luck, and don't overthink this!

GuardIan4220

Jul 29, 2019
Yes I'm using Mindcrack and not Direwolf, and I have 5 advanced solar panels but i still drain my MFE. And I just ran out of copper and bronze, plus I blew my only Industrial Centrifuge up accidentally. Otherwise I would run redstone through it and get more silicon.

Hitmaniac

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question about this, It seems much easier to use a liquid tessaract to transport the lava instead of the cans, liquid transposers,etc. Would this work?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I have a question about this, It seems much easier to use a liquid tessaract to transport the lava instead of the cans, liquid transposers,etc. Would this work?

Ah, right, yes! That is a MUCH better way to do it. I will edit my post to reflect your correction. But yes, liquid tesseract and you'll be swimming in lava! Hopefully not literally, though. Thanks.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
The closest you can come to self-sustaining power with lava...

The closest you can come to self-sustaining lava IS self-sustaining lava- with the Sinister line of bees. The phosphorus byproduct can be combined with a few different (easily-infinite) resources to make up to 2 buckets of lava per phosphorous. Get a bunch of those going and automate them and you're done.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
The closest you can come to self-sustaining lava IS self-sustaining lava- with the Sinister line of bees. The phosphorus byproduct can be combined with a few different (easily-infinite) resources to make up to 2 buckets of lava per phosphorous. Get a bunch of those going and automate them and you're done.

Oh gods, lava from bees? What is their passive action, setting your house on fire by spawning lava around every now and again? Bees are so cruel at times.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Their default behavior is to damage you- hard, through armor. You won't be able to tank too many hits in a large array of them, but it's easy enough to breed that trait out or use Extra Bees machines to get a better passive.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Their default behavior is to damage you- hard, through armor. You won't be able to tank too many hits in a large array of them, but it's easy enough to breed that trait out or use Extra Bees machines to get a better passive.

Breed it out? But then what am I going to fill up my wall-of-bee-defense with‽

GuardIan4220

Jul 29, 2019
This is completely off the original topic but i have an area that was quarried out and i used water to extinguish lava source blocks it found, however it ran into a water pool and has now formed a large number of water source blocks. What would be the recommended best way to get rid of all of them?

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
This is completely off the original topic but i have an area that was quarried out and i used water to extinguish lava source blocks it found, however it ran into a water pool and has now formed a large number of water source blocks. What would be the recommended best way to get rid of all of them?

Hmm. I seem to remember something extremely clever which I can't remember right now. Until I do, I suggest Fillers or BC/IC Pumps.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

The Wand of Cooling works well for removing the source blocks (turns them into ice blocks, removes flowing water entirely). Besides that, though, a BC pump seems to be the only simple way to deal with large amounts of liquids, sadly. Send it into liquid void pipe.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
The Wand of Cooling works well for removing the source blocks (turns them into ice blocks, removes flowing water entirely). Besides that, though, a BC pump seems to be the only simple way to deal with large amounts of liquids, sadly. Send it into liquid void pipe.

Nuclear Reactors or Terraformers, I suppose, could get rid of them. But you probably knew about that already, you specified "simple."

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Nuclear Reactors or Terraformers, I suppose, could get rid of them. But you probably knew about that already, you specified "simple."

None of those work as well as that lovely wand of cooling, let me tell you. Well, nukes do, but........ Well.... Yeah.

Reactions: Whovian

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Those are flowing water blocks that you have a lot of, not source blocks... But to answer the question, probably the easiest way would be to place a BC pump over the actual source blocks (the location of the original lake- most of these won't appear to be flowing), and connect Buildcraft power (four redstone engines should work fine) and a Void Waterproof Pipe, assuming you have no use for the water. (If you do, for whatever reason, do something else with it. Liquiducts; stone, cobble, or gold waterproof pipes; liquid tesseracts; or some of the above and some Railcraft stuff can be used to transport the water to tanks.) After the pump sucks up (and the void pipe destroys) the few dozen source blocks making up the original lake, the rest of the water will evaporate, just as most of the water in the completely-flooded quarry did after you removed the source block.

GuardIan4220

Jul 29, 2019
I was using the wand of cooling to freeze the top parts but when I went under it everything froze under it as soon as I used it.[DOUBLEPOST=1362399925][/DOUBLEPOST]And I have a filler so I'll probably just use the filler to fill that one side and then use my advanced lappack and drill to clear it out.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I was using the wand of cooling to freeze the top parts but when I went under it everything froze under it as soon as I used it.

Do you mean the GAME froze, as in crapped out because of all of the water updates? If so, yeah, that happens. I don't think there is any way to avoid the bothersome water updates, so your best bet is to freeze the topmost water body, and then RUN LIKE A FAST RUNNING RUNNER THING THAT IS RUNNING to get out of that dimension/world as quickly as possible. If it is in your overworld, go beat around the nether for a few minutes.

And, something I should have mentioned, but KEEP the quarry set up until after you have fully removed the water. This allows it to keep chunkloading the water, so it'll updae.

And I have a filler so I'll probably just use the filler to fill that one side and then use my advanced lappack and drill to clear it out.

You can use the filler to remove blocks, as well, don't forget.[/quote]