Launcher needs Java (I have AdoptOpenJDK

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Ennazeus

Nov 27, 2019
Hi, I'm new here and I have a question regarding the legacy launcher. I can't install the legacy launcher, because I don't use Oracle JRE, I use AdoptOpenJDK instead (I to some work stuff on my computer that would mean that I must pay to use Oracle jre and I rather not).

The problem is that even though I have a jre, the launcher complains that I don't. So, my question is just if there is a way for me to make it work with AdoptOpenJDK jre?

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
You should be able to have both installed without issues.

th0bse

Dec 3, 2019
(I to some work stuff on my computer that would mean that I must pay to use Oracle jre and I rather not

@grandrolf ??? Of course he should, but looks like he already said it is not possible for him, because of the reason he clearly stated in his post, doesn't it?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Though it has been a while since I used the launcher I never had a problem with openJDK. I just tried downloading the launcher and it seems to work though I haven't checked if it could start up a pack.

output of java -version gives me
Code:
java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_232"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_232-b09)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.232-b09, mixed mode)

I'm on Linux (Manjaro right now to be precise) in case that matters.

@grandrolf nowadays there should be very little (if any) difference between oracle java and openJDK, and though it is technically possible to have them installed both it can be a real pain. So please, don't advice to install oracle java is someone mentions openJDK it probably isn't the issue.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
@grandrolf ??? Of course he should, but looks like he already said it is not possible for him, because of the reason he clearly stated in his post, doesn't it?

Original poster didn't state that he couldn't install/use (put in a folder), original poster stated that he couldn't use oracle java for the things he does for work.
(based on the way original poster states this, my take on that is a license issue, not a technical issue - and as long as they are handled as 2 different parts, there's no issue in licensing)

That's not the same thing to have co-existance of the 2 on the same system.

Compare how Mojang bundles java with the launcher = it doesn't need to be installed on the system, as long as the launcher have clear sight of the version needed, as in located in a folder - perhaps the original poster wasn't aware that his could be a thing - as in having what is needed for work and having what is needed for playing Minecraft - in co-existance withouth issues.

Just because someone states that "I need it this way, or it needs to work like this" - that doesn't mean that there are other solutions that could fit the needs.

@grandrolf nowadays there should be very little (if any) difference between oracle java and openJDK, and though it is technically possible to have them installed both it can be a real pain. So please, don't advice to install oracle java is someone mentions openJDK it probably isn't the issue.

Probably isn't the issue?
(also - op is using AdoptJDK not OpenJDK)

You're assuming - I don't do that, I base this on facts seen by others having the same type of issues - experienced myself.

And why shouldn't I make suggestions when I know this could be a possible solution for the user?

I have no prestige in this or wanting to prove any point, just giving a option for a possible solution for the original poster.

I don't understand why this was such a thing for several people to react on - did this struck a nerve somewhere?

EDIT: And perhaps it's just the jre that's needed for playing the game, but what would I know

Last edited:

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I don't understand why this was such a thing for several people to react on - did this struck a nerve somewhere?

On some systems getting Oracle java is painful (at least compared to getting openJDK). For example on debian you can simply install openJDK using apt like how you install most software. However, to get oracle java to work you need to download + install + know how to update the defaults. And last time I had to do this there was a lot of miss information on how to get it working on Debian, some of which could harm the stability of the OS the next time the user did an update of his/her system. Because of this, I really started to dislike answers which boils down to "Just use oracle java" while we don't know which version of java version is being used.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
On some systems getting Oracle java is painful (at least compared to getting openJDK). For example on debian you can simply install openJDK using apt like how you install most software. However, to get oracle java to work you need to download + install + know how to update the defaults. And last time I had to do this there was a lot of miss information on how to get it working on Debian, some of which could harm the stability of the OS the next time the user did an update of his/her system. Because of this, I really started to dislike answers which boils down to "Just use oracle java" while we don't know which version of java version is being used.

Why not leave this to the OP to answer, instead of guessing?

I pointed out that there's a possibility for co-existance, perhaps even without installing java from oracle, compare Mojangs bundle.

I did not assume or did not say that the OP needs or must do anything, just giving suggestions for solutions.

This discussion is going of the rails and I'm going to stop responding any further unless the OP is the one responding, where the issue at hand is.