Solved Launcher Error: Unable to move instances. (Win10 Permissions)

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

KernalKrazy

Jul 7, 2020
When attempting to change 'INSTANCE LOCATION' in the Game Settings section of the Settings tab on the new launcher, I receive the message:

"Error
Unable to move instances. Please ensure you have permission to create files and folders in this location. "

I installed the new launcher using Administrator, ran it, and installed the Revelation modpack. After looking at the settings, I wanted to move the "INSTANCE LOCATION" out of my user folder and onto a drive with my launcher. I receive the error message after the Confirmation prompt asking "Are you sure you wish to move your instances to this location?"

I have tried setting the FTB App to run as administrator, and other exe binaries as well, with no luck. Is there a java permission I'm missing in order to grant permissions to change my instances location?

Last edited:

Angry Trout

Jul 29, 2019
I experienced a similar issue, If you delete the path and select ok it will update without a path and then you can go back and select the destination.

KernalKrazy

Jul 7, 2020
I experienced a similar issue, If you delete the path and select ok it will update without a path and then you can go back and select the destination.
Thanks for the tip! I tried it and unfortunately, it didn't work. It did prompt me to uninstall and reinstall withOUT admin, and that fixed the problem.

ariosos

Jul 29, 2019
I'm also having this issue (using the upgraded version of Windows 10 - was on Windows 7 before the free upgrade a few years back). Uninstalling and reinstalling did not fix the problem. I also noticed that all of the folders have "Read Only" checked. If I deselected it, click Apply/OK, close and reopen it, it's "read only" again.
1594341192995.png

Also, clicking any textbox after entering a new path will bring up the confirmation box. Clicking "No" actually does nothing, so then I'm forced to click Yes, and it says I don't have permissions. I even tried opening the FTB launcher as administrator and the same issue occurs. As of right now, it wants to install the instance (and has) on my users folder which is on my SSD. (I'm still not comfortable with Minecraft on a SSD - it's a 512 Gig Samsung from 2015).
1594341311993.png
1594341367775.png

Bakamon0

Jul 13, 2020
I also had this problem. When attempting to change the instances location from the default which is pointing at your C:\Users\"username"\.ftba you get the permission error. To fix this I went to the location I wanted to move the instances location to and made sure that my windows username was listed in the security tab with full access. Shouldn't have to do this but it worked.

toddnollan

Jul 14, 2020
I fixed this by going to the default folder and deleting it entirely. Win7 here though, might not work for you.