Problem Lag on Localhost DW20 1.7

Bjiip

Jul 29, 2019
I'm getting very consistent lag on a server I run on my own computer. About 50% of the time you break a block, it reappears. There are only two connections: mine, on the local host (going through 127.0.0.1) and another computer on the LAN, going through 192.168.1.x. The server memory usage is usually around 500 MB. When I run Minecraft single-player, I don't experience the lag.

Pack: Direwolf20 1.7
Modifications: Morph, Hats, Hat Rack, Journeymap deleted

Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit
Intel Core i5-3570k @ 3.4GHz
8GB RAM

Java:
java version "1.8.0_25"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_25-b18)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.25-b02, mixed mode)

Startup .bat:
java -server -Xms2G -Xmx6G -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -d64 -jar FTBServer-1.7.10-1231.jar

Bjiip

Jul 29, 2019
What was the server RAM usage?
The window reports about 600MB with 25% free, but in Task Manager it shows about 1.2GB for java.exe.

Have you tried adding in Fastcraft?
No, I hadn't heard of it- maybe I'll try it. My previous computer (i.e., a generation lower performance) ran a two-player DW20 1.5 server without much incident, so I hadn't thought performance was the issue.

Does my startup bat file look right? That's the sort of thing I was expecting -I somehow mistyped the RAM allowance parameters, or something.

Also, when the other computer is at the multiplayer screen, it shows my server's ping at 831ms. But ping itself (from command line) shows a ping of less than a millisecond on average. What's that about?

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
The window reports about 600MB with 25% free, but in Task Manager it shows about 1.2GB for java.exe.

No, I hadn't heard of it- maybe I'll try it. My previous computer (i.e., a generation lower performance) ran a two-player DW20 1.5 server without much incident, so I hadn't thought performance was the issue.

Does my startup bat file look right? That's the sort of thing I was expecting -I somehow mistyped the RAM allowance parameters, or something.

Also, when the other computer is at the multiplayer screen, it shows my server's ping at 831ms. But ping itself (from command line) shows a ping of less than a millisecond on average. What's that about?
Bat file looks fine(that's a lot of RAM being dedicated, but whatever). And a lot of servers/clients have issues running 1.7 with no lag, which Fastcraft fixes.

Bjiip

Jul 29, 2019
I installed Fastcraft, and it does seem to have helped. Specifically, I no longer have massive dirt block repop when I shovel. Thanks!

I'm still getting some significant lag that I notice in combat, though. I'll swing, and it won't respond for a second or two, then both I and the mob get hurt. Is that usually the same issue, or something different?

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I installed Fastcraft, and it does seem to have helped. Specifically, I no longer have massive dirt block repop when I shovel. Thanks!

I'm still getting some significant lag that I notice in combat, though. I'll swing, and it won't respond for a second or two, then both I and the mob get hurt. Is that usually the same issue, or something different?
Sounds more like connection lag . What's your internet speed?

Bjiip

Jul 29, 2019
Well, that's the thing. It's running on the same computer. So it doesn't even have to go through my LAN. (The other computer does have to go through the LAN, so that's probably a 100 gigabit connection or the like. It's still got <1ms ping.) So I can't figure out how it would lag at all.

Bjiip

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I was skeptical but hopeful, so I tried turning off Vsync. Unfortunately, it did nothing for the input lag. Boy, is it hard to code in Computercraft with laggy inputs.

I'm really surprised there can be lag when I'm connecting to a server on my local computer. Does anybody know why this could be happening? I don't experience it when I'm in true single-player mode.

seriousvern

Jul 29, 2019
your basically doing double duty on your pc running the game is hard on a pc, running the server is hard on the machine, Your running both one one machine with only 8 G of ram
Your command line would is killing your system since you are allowing it to at max use 6 of your 8 G for just the server. And you have to run the client as well. Oh and not to mention windows 8 requires at least 2G of ram to run.
You are telling java to start with the minimum of 2G ram in your Xms2G setting and to take the 6 when it needs it. If you run just the server with this setup you will still be close to choking your system.
Ksa4Jui.png

If it is just you 2 playing open your game to lan your experience should be much better

Bjiip

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I hate to admit defeat, but I did try opening my single player game to LAN and that worked much better. I wish I understood why; but for now, this is what I'll use. Thanks for the help!