Windows .exe Lag issues. Looking for Help / Opinons.

EvilMaL

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all,

I rent a server(4gb) from a hosting site(pretty decent size) and we are experiencing lag issues. I have tried everything I can think of to track down why we are getting lag. It is just me and one other person at most on the server at a time. We get random lag spikes. If one of us is exploring then the lag really kicks in. Chunks won't load for a couple minutes, blocks comeback and occasional rubber banding. I have ran opis and the tick rate is always around 8-13ms total for the world. The console spams the can't keep up message if we explore. We only have went into the Nether so far. No other dimensions explored yet.

We run the Direwolf20 1.6.4 v1.0.14 FTB mod pack.

The host claims these specs:
Intel Xeon E3-1240 v2
32GB RAM
2x120GB SSD
1Gbit Uplink

We have opened tickets to their support and they always blame it on the world. So I deleted the world did a fresh install with a new world. Same issues still.

We reboot the server every 6hours. if we don't it gets so laggy its unbearable.

I don't claim to be an expert on FTB servers but I'm pretty sure we should be able to run this mod pack with 2 people with no major problems. Is there something I can do to reduce the lag or optimize the server somehow or is it time for me to look for yet another Host ?

Thanks for your time and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps said hosting company isn't providing you with enough CPU cycles in your VM? It's entirely possible they're cutting corners to get more VMs running.

EvilMaL

Jul 29, 2019
That is what we think also. But I don't think there is a way to actually prove it. Thanks for the reply.

pauldemonkey

Jul 29, 2019
I used to have all sorts of lag issues on a small hosted server. The issue ended up being that there were no JVM arguments added to the launch options. I think the only one we added was the permgen launch option but I can't recall for certain.

Code:
-XX:PermSize=256m

EvilMaL

Jul 29, 2019
I think they have that one in. I've seen it at the bottom of a crash report LOL. I think I'm going to go on a host hunt again because the lag is not getting any better :(