Lag help (chunks not updating)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jordan5115

Jul 29, 2019
Hello :)
I have been playing ftb unleashed for a while now and all of a sudden i have been getting massive lag spikes :/ i don't have a single chunk loader in my world and nothing that cause any lag. when i pull up f3 my fps fluctuates between 500 and 1 and my chunk updates vary from 200-0 (when i really lag and reach 1 fps is when the chunk updates reach 0) every time this happens i relog and play for another 15 mins before it happens again :/ its getting pretty annoying.. i have a pretty beefed up pc so i have no idea why this is happening. i have no clue how to fix this. Sorry if there already is a thread regarding this or it is in the wrong section, im new to this. thanks :)

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I've had symptoms similar to that (periodic lag spikes after I've been playing for a little while) that were caused by not giving Java enough PermGan space, whatever that is. Check your log next time this happens; if you see a message relating to "out of PermGan space" or something every dozen lines or so, there's your problem.

I know that MultiMC has a setting to change the permgen space, but I don't know how to do it from within the FTB launcher itself.

Jordan5115

Jul 29, 2019
I've had symptoms similar to that (periodic lag spikes after I've been playing for a little while) that were caused by not giving Java enough PermGan space, whatever that is. Check your log next time this happens; if you see a message relating to "out of PermGan space" or something every dozen lines or so, there's your problem.

I know that MultiMC has a setting to change the permgen space, but I don't know how to do it from within the FTB launcher itself.
How did you manage to fix it?

LC14199

Jul 29, 2019
Just up the perm gen amount. I'll get the exact java code in a sec and edit it into this post.

capSAR273

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing that might help is manually updating/reloading your chunks with F3+A. Another solution is to add FastCraft, it tends to reduce quite a bit of lag and I always add it to any modpack I play. If you are using a launcher to play, the setting to change the PermGen for Java should be in the options of the launcher, whether is it FTB, ATL, or MultiMC.

Jordan5115

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing that might help is manually updating/reloading your chunks with F3+A. Another solution is to add FastCraft, it tends to reduce quite a bit of lag and I always add it to any modpack I play. If you are using a launcher to play, the setting to change the PermGen for Java should be in the options of the launcher, whether is it FTB, ATL, or MultiMC.
Just up the perm gen amount. I'll get the exact java code in a sec and edit it into this post.

It is still lagging i have tried all of the above :/
its getting worse now, every 5 minutes i will have to relog due to lag. now sometimes when im lagging im on 100+fps.. im so confused.
someone help please :0

Jordan5115

Jul 29, 2019
i think i may have found the problem.. because my base is above a ocean there are hundreds of squid spawning and when i log out then back in again they despawn and start the process again. does anyone know how i can change the config so squid dont spawn?

Tankh

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think squids should lag you out that bad unless they're doing something really weird.

Z

ZombieKissa

Even if this is an old post, I will post a possible solution for anyone having the same problem.

My bf had the same problem. His computer is quite good and previously hadn't had any problems with running games. He reinstalled win 7 and all kinds of bs happened.

Playing any modded minecraft he had good fps (120) but it would suddenly stop updating chunks and that created entity/block lag. It would last a good 5-10 seconds and then it updates and resets the game to when it started.

It was solved by changing the preferred gpu in the NVIDIA settings. Apparently the integrated gpu wasn't playing nice for some reason. Not yet sure why. But it's worth a shot if nothing else has worked so far.