Kitchen-sink third-party pack without HQM?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Made_You_Look

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't played any MC/FTB in about a year or so, and I'm looking to get back into it. None of the main/first party packs interest me, and the amount of packs in the third party section is overwhelming, and sorting through and testing them would be kind of brutal (so many packs!). I tried, it wasn't fun. Put me off for another month.
Would anyone be able recommend in their opinion the best (most stable and expansive) third party packs that:

- Do not include/require HQM or quests.
- Include mods in all major areas - magic, tech, biomes/worldgen, adventure/dungeons, and so on.

I'm willing to install/uninstall a few mods of my choosing, so I'm not requesting any particular individual mods, as long as there's no HQM.
I'm sorry if this request is in the wrong place, or is poor etiquette.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
This is a 3rd party pack, but just get DW20 and be done with it. He always includes the kitchen sink.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I can tell, there are 3 major themes to modpacks, which tend to govern the mods around them, and their general attitude:
- Gregtech. After about 1.5.2, this seemed to make a schism, in that Gregtech isn't something that can simply be included in a modpack for completeness, there are interactions and philosophies at work that work explicitly with certain mods, and not with others.
- Non-Gregtech. With the budding off of Greg packs, there are a variety of packs with a variety of features, mostly revolving around the RF power system.
- HQM/Ex Nihlo packs. You may be trying to avoid these, but I have found that they are surprisingly fun. Both the direction and guidance, coupled with the freedom to complete the tasks in any way you see fit, and the modifications made to the mods to facilitate flow/exploit fixing, you can get the same sense of adventure from mods that you know inside out as you can from ones you have never touched before.

For the first section, I believe that the FTB one is the way to go (Resurrection?). For the second, I think that the DW20 pack is basically the best "general" pack. There are others that centre around specific mods, and are usually obvious from the names. For the latter one, I'm currently playing through Material Energy, which gives challenge to getting the materials, and introduces you to mods that you otherwise wouldn't touch.

Made_You_Look

Jul 29, 2019
how about Resonant Rise? has that already been updated and released to 1.7.10?
Looked up Resonant Rise 3. The layout of their sites are confusing, but it appears to say that HQM is one of the core ( or "Eternity") mods. It is updated to 1.7 though.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
You could try out my Omega Dawn pack. It's kinda kitchen sink pack, but more emphasis on resource management and survival. How you play is up to you.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Are you one of those pathological HQM haters? or do you have a proper reason for disliking it?
HQM by it's self is just a tool that hardly changes the game unless of course the pack compiler wills it to.
Last time I played it, the Bevvo Pack had HQM but it was not utilized in any way, it was just there. I assume Bev had plans to utlilize it as a tutorial vehicle.
Don't be one of those fools that sees HQM and irrationally go "NOPNOPENOPE", actually sus it out and see how the pack compiler is utilizing HQM. As I said HQM is a tool much in the same vein as MineTweaker, it can make the game unbearable or it can greatly improve the game, it can even fix broken elements of mods (e.g MFR rendering cakes uncraftable becasue milk changes).

Made_You_Look

Jul 29, 2019
You could try out my Omega Dawn pack. It's kinda kitchen sink pack, but more emphasis on resource management and survival. How you play is up to you.

Your pack does seem interesting, but it says it requires 8gb RAM, and I only have 4. :/
Besides, the pack seems to lean towards playing a specific way (find temperate biome, hide during blood moon, live in ruins, etc), which is the issue I'm trying to avoid with HQM. Minecraft is an incredible world full of possibilites only limited by ones imagination, I don't want to be limited too much in what I do or how I play.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Your pack does seem interesting, but it says it requires 8gb RAM, and I only have 4. :/
Besides, the pack seems to lean towards playing a specific way (find temperate biome, hide during blood moon, live in ruins, etc), which is the issue I'm trying to avoid with HQM. Minecraft is an incredible world full of possibilites only limited by ones imagination, I don't want to be limited too much in what I do or how I play.
Yeah but HQM doesn't guarantee a restricted experience. It just makes it more likely to be the case. As I and Wagon153 have stated, some pack makers just add it in because "reasons". Presumably to act as a vehicle for delivering tutorials.

-linkdbydeath-

Jul 29, 2019
You could make your own pack, or as someone else suggested go with DW20, its got the stuffs, and you could just remove/add mods.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
It might work with 4, it's not been tried on that many PCs, so I don't know what the minimum requirements are. If you can run the DW20 pack, you should be able to run Omega Dawn.
That lean is more the "recommended" approach, I ended up in a cold biome and had to make my own mud cave as a home as all the ruins I stumbled across were too ruined to be of any use on day one. It made my game start a bit more challenging, and surviving the first day/night was a very close thing as a result.
If you are a super fast player, you could play as normal MC and get a wooden shack built before night falls.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I have never been able to get into other people's modpacks. I always end up having to change configs and remove/add mods. Seems like the vast majority of them have the exact same batch of mods give or take a few... And since nowadays you dont even have to configure block and item ids, its really is as simple as placing files into a folder. The Direwolf20 pack is a great place to start if you dont want to download each mod one by one. Sorry but I find your last resort statement rather irritating. Its more difficult to sign into a forum and make a thread than it is to download mods.

alexubel989

Jul 29, 2019
I have never been able to get into other people's modpacks. I always end up having to change configs and remove/add mods. Seems like the vast majority of them have the exact same batch of mods give or take a few... And since nowadays you dont even have to configure block and item ids, its really is as simple as placing files into a folder. The Direwolf20 pack is a great place to start if you dont want to download each mod one by one. Sorry but I find your last resort statement rather irritating. Its more difficult to sign into a forum and make a thread than it is to download mods.

Its not as simple as just dropping in mods. I've had several crash to desktops from adding in my own mods because they conflicted with something already in the pack. After some tinkering with configs I had no problems, but to say all you need to do is download some mods and throw them together is a little misleading.

That said, the Direwolf20 pack is a great starting point as is the Resonant Rise pack, since you can pick most of what goes into it now.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Its not as simple as just dropping in mods. I've had several crash to desktops from adding in my own mods because they conflicted with something already in the pack. After some tinkering with configs I had no problems, but to say all you need to do is download some mods and throw them together is a little misleading.

That said, the Direwolf20 pack is a great starting point as is the Resonant Rise pack, since you can pick most of what goes into it now.
Yeah, it isn't drag and drop.
It's funny that Mojang made a system that fixes the Item/block ID problem but didn't apply similar fixes to potion/biome/enchant ID's.

alexubel989

Jul 29, 2019
Its very rare to get one of those sort of conflicts unlike in previous versions where it was inevitable.
Yeah I agree with that. It used to be a nightmare to make all those changes. I'm still trying to get Resonant Induction to work, but it won't run even if the only mods in are Resonant Engine, Forge and it. I think its a forge multipart conflict, but I can't run Forge without it for some reason, so I guess I'll have to do without Resonant Induction for now.