Kicking Around a Unique Idea

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
OK Community Showcase peeps, I'm having a new idea and I'm wondering how many people think it would be interesting enough to help me out with it.

So here's the idea. As you read it, keep in mind I've only been thinking about it for 30-45 minutes, so I don't have the entire thing fleshed out and I'm open to tweaks and things to get it into good working order.
  1. Someone rents a server and all of the players kick in a nominal amount to share the cost. There is no profit made. For example, if the server costs $30 and there are 5 people, each of them chips in $6/mo/player.
  2. You start the server with Vanilla MC + Forge + a mod that sets up world boundaries. The boundaries are set at 100 blocks N, S, E, and W of spawn, meaning you start in a 200x200 square. You are stuck with nothing but Vanilla MC for 7 days. On day 6, all players vote on 1 major mod to add, and it's added on Day 8, the beginning of Week 2.
  3. For Week 2, you have that mod and Vanilla MC, obviously. The world expands by 50 blocks in all directions, and you can add buildings to your existing development that involve the newly-added mod.
  4. For Weeks 3 and 4, you can add in building and/or quality of life (QoL) mods, such as Quark or Chisels & Bits or Cooking For Blockheads at a rate of 1 mod per week. Each week in this time period, the borders expand by 25 blocks each direction.
  5. For Week 5, the server picks another major mod. Major mods are defined as mods that add lots of content. It can be things like Immersive Engineering, Blood Magic, Ender IO, Botania, etc.
  6. This cycle repeats over the course of a year. Major mod weeks, the boundaries expand by 100 blocks; minor mods week, by 50 blocks. There will be an ore retro-gen mod included so that you can have access to the newer mods' ores in old chunks when necessary.
Obviously you'll need to decide if this is going to happen in a 1.7.10 environment or a 1.10.2 one. I'm almost thinking it would be better to go back to 1.7.10 for this because a) less memory and b) more support mods for the major mods.

Ideally this idea would be done with several players who use YouTube and/or Twitch and also a few who would post journals here in this subforum.

So there's my idea. I would love to hear what everyone thinks about this, criticisms and compliments alike, and ways that we can make this idea into something that could be launchable by the end of January if we can work it out!

Reactions: Boqzo1

Boqzo1

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like a cool idea. Only issue could be that with regular world borders, the world still continues to generate beyond the border, you just can't access it. Making it harder to get modded items.

Flabort

Jul 29, 2019
Config tweaks would be allowed when adding a mod in this idea?
Obviously with twitch players, I think besides Ore Retrogen the core mods (that are included in the week 1 pack) should contain either irish luck blocks or chance cubes.

But I like the idea. It could take some time... a week is a long time for a gamer, but what mods the players vote on could cause some cool divergence between servers.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
The only issue I see is ore and world generation items as you add mods. For example you start out with vanilla so you have access to gold, iron, diamonds, emeralds. Then the 1st mod you decide to add is IC2. It adds copper, tin, rubber trees, uranium plus some others. You wouldn't be able to use any of it because the ores wouldn't be in the ore gen around spawn and because of the world border you can't get out to where they are generated at. Same applies for the IC2 rubber trees.

JaRyCu

Sep 29, 2015
South Georgia, USA
The only issue I see is ore and world generation items as you add mods. For example you start out with vanilla so you have access to gold, iron, diamonds, emeralds. Then the 1st mod you decide to add is IC2. It adds copper, tin, rubber trees, uranium plus some others. You wouldn't be able to use any of it because the ores wouldn't be in the ore gen around spawn and because of the world border you can't get out to where they are generated at. Same applies for the IC2 rubber trees.

There are ways around this...I'd have to find a way to incorporate skyblock-style tools. For example, you'd always have dirt unless you're unlucky enough to spawn in an ocean, and then you'd just restart. You could always sieve dirt to get rubber tree seeds. As for ores, there's a mod somewhere that retroactively generates ores for mods that are added later. That's in Rule #6. ;)

M

Muaht

I like it. I'd even pay for it as an MC "social experiment". Sadly, my net is pre-paid from a mobile and my comp sucks, especially with the new stuff.

Regardless of whether or not I was directly involved, if this actually happens I'd love to hear updates.

Reactions: JaRyCu

micmou

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm this sounds very interesting. I even would be interested in participating. I am also able to help on the technical side of things, and have a couple of ideas to achieve this.

A: the world border issues... Might be fixed using a personal space see the recent UT Dallas Private Space system. A micro world as you could say. It might also be fixed by getting someone in the community to cook up a Generation scheme that does not pad past a defined world border.

B: I think Definitley 1.7.10 as there is alot of stable mods and other things.

C: I also agree with some other users on the on week thing. 52 Weeks 52 mods maybe 2 a week that would bring the count up to 104 unless when you integrate something you are counting its addons and it as only one mod. IE Thaumcraft and the 6 or so popular addons. Or NEI and all its plugins.

Reactions: JaRyCu
H

Hurst_Quayzar

This is a pretty good plan / idea. Unfortunately, the way my work schedule plays out I wouldn't be able to participate.