Kenshi - indie game

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
So there is a new game on the horizon!
This is a mix of RPG and RTS, meaning you can go solo adventuring and spelunking about or hire allies and charge into a mob of bandits controlling all units, or letting the AI sort it out.
I'm gonna mention the good and bad of this game. Remember that the bad is entirely dependent on the fact that the game is still under development!
Good's
1. GIGANTIC WORLD! I'm talking about 400 square kilometres! Open world and free roam!

2. You can build your own base and research stuff

3. Hire allies from taverns to accompany you. This is a group tactical game. You CAN play alone, but since I keep meeting a 5 or 12 bandits then a companion or 20 or 100 might be smart to have?

4. Holding true to the RPG aspect: be a merchant, thief, join a faction or make your own. Choice is yours.

5. RPG-ish: Level up your strenght, dexterity and so forth. Followed by sword-skill, heavy weapons, engineer, athletics.
So many skills, but the leveling-up system is a bit different. You level up athletics by running around weightless but you can raise strenght by being heavily encumbered while walking.

Now, I have only played the demo, so the game for me has restrictions and therefore I don't know the whole picture of it.

Bad's
1. No music or sound. This game is so quiet! The developer could really use a sound/music artist.

2. Very little to no character-looks options. I read at the homepage that he has finished some new, perhaps it is not included in the demo?

3. Walk, walk... walking in the desert... There IS a fast-travel option (thank god!). Don't expect it to be Oblivion-ish. It's a fast-forward button, instead.
Be careful with the Rewind button!

4. You are NOT special! This is not warcraft or mount & blade. You don't start with high hit points and cool gear. You are less than a meaningless grunt. If you can't stand running from bandits and grind, then this game is probably not for you. Patience is a virtue and luck favors the cunning.
There's also no horses, typical.

5. No history or background? Haven't found any.... You start in a desert near a fallout-ish town. All or most enemies carry swords. It's a bit samurai/ninja kinda thing. Oh, and there is NO fantasy here. No elves or dwarves or knights or dragons....

Overall, I like this game. It's different from other games who claim RPG/RTS genre. Even though this is point and click- type of game, it could have the potential to be huge.
And it's 10 dollars.
For the whole game. + all future updates
Money goes directly to developing it.
10 dollars... That's a steal.
I will support this game, and I highly recommend Y'all to do it as well.

A Trailer to show the world and the Homepage and Download link.

Edit. Won't be 10 dollars forever.... After the 0.4 update it will be 13 on the homepage and 16 dollars on Desura and Gamersgate.

Double-Edit. 0.4 update is out now!!!!

Reactions: Magicferret

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
This looks very promising and like you say a steal for 10 dollars. The video description says a combination of Elder scrolls and X-com which is a very good thing to aspire to. :)

I'll try out the demo today, thanks for the heads up!

edit: Instant buy. I agree with your good and bad points as well, it's a bit limited (and quiet) now but I'm willing to chip in in the knowledge that it will probably turn into something great. Cheap alphas FTW!

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
Waiting for my transaction to be accepted.
edit: Instant buy. I agree with your good and bad points as well, it's a bit limited (and quiet) now but I'm willing to chip in in the knowledge that it will probably turn into something great. Cheap alphas FTW!

Any difference on playing the full game versus the demo?
You can always act like an shameless advertiser and let the readers know how great the full game is than the demo :p

Edit. Well well, that went quickly. The author has a wonderful sense of humour.
You just paid 10 bucks for that key code. How silly! You probably could have pirated it instead! But you didn't. Respect. I will use that 10 bucks to hire the greatest game artist that ever lived, you have just added 10 bucks of awesomeness to the game. Be proud! Hold your head up high for you are a man of honour!

Seriously, don't lose your key code. *glare*

May your beard see 100 years of health.

Chris the Mighty
AKA Captain Deathbeard
Company Director, King, CEO, Captain, and Toilet cleaner of:
Lo-Fi Games Ltd.

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I'm really chuffed with it now I've got to grips with it a bit more, and even if I get bored next week I can come back later and a load more potential will probably have been tapped into. It'll be awesome when its got proper art and assets which is apparently where our money is going. So yes I'm quite happy to act like a shameless advertiser to support this dev and his quality sense of humour, buy this game folks!

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
I care very little about art, it's okay for now.
What I hope my money is going to is unlocking those other features:
Bow
Assassination
Science? found any way to use this yet?
Hand-to-hand, or did i read that one wrong? must change my 800x600 to higher p.
Mining/prospecting?
Harpoon
Bluffing

These I am looking forward to.
Also I found that even having a group of 3 against 1 starving bandit you could still end with disaster!
Luckily I had trained a bit on training dummies. But one guy fell in battle (saved him with med kits) and the other 2 got badly hurt. Tough Grinding!

Belone

Jul 29, 2019
Oooo I love open-worldy sandbox games (like that other game, I can't remember the name of it, it involves mining and crafting though), will definitely be giving this a go.

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
I already downloaded it but haven't been able to play it yet (itching to get out of work to try it out). I have a question Munaus; is this game single player or MMO/multi?

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
I care very little about art, it's okay for now.
What I hope my money is going to is unlocking those other features:
Bow
Assassination
Science? found any way to use this yet?
Hand-to-hand, or did i read that one wrong? must change my 800x600 to higher p.
Mining/prospecting?
Harpoon
Bluffing

These I am looking forward to.
Also I found that even having a group of 3 against 1 starving bandit you could still end with disaster!
Luckily I had trained a bit on training dummies. But one guy fell in battle (saved him with med kits) and the other 2 got badly hurt. Tough Grinding!

If you look at the front of the website the 0.40 update will add research, mining, farming, cooking and brewing. There's a lot of NYI stuff in the game that it's hard to tell whether it works yet (like the research) so I agree a lot of it should be fleshed out sooner rather than later. We're Minecraft players after all, gameplay over graphics and all that!

It does take a while to get used to the fact that if you make a stupid mistake you're going to pay for it in blood, or even like you say lady luck can be pretty cruel in this game. I love it though, it actually feels dangerous and you don't feel like a superhero. I'm quite a fan of roguelikes so to have a bit of that character in the game makes it even more fun. Glad more people are noticing this thread as it really is an exceptional idea for a game.

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
I already downloaded it but haven't been able to play it yet (itching to get out of work to try it out). I have a question Munaus; is this game single player or MMO/multi?
Single
The world is yours, Chico, and everything in it. If you want what's coming to you :)

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
I already read a bunch of their Wiki articles in order to prepare myself. It seems like it is quite difficult at first. Would you say that the best way to earn money at first is to lure enemies to the gate guards and loot their bodies?

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
Yes
Unless you want to try the merchant trading option.

Does anyone EVER choose the trading option in any game??

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Depends, will I have to walk to all the towns first before I can quick travel via the map?

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
Depends, will I have to walk to all the towns first before I can quick travel via the map?
BZZZZ!!
Wrong, mate. The answer was: click the fast-forward button.
Did you not read my OP :(

Edit. The "rewind" I mentioned was a joke. There is none.
Would be useful if there was, I hate being heavily cumbered by loot with my 3 guys, then meet a group of 10 dust bandits behind a sand dune :mad:

demonslay999

Jul 29, 2019
Well I don't know the exact differences between the demo and the real game as I've bought the game when it was very early in development. However I've wasted 12 straight hours playing this game it's that fun. And worth it with you get stronger and if you want a "fair" randomized states you can mod the game. That should keep you busy experimenting with the modding system AKA:Forgotten Construction set. And if your having trouble modding search me up on YouTube I have modding tutorials for the game. And tomorrow I plan to make the videos over and revamped!

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
It looks like a fun game for anyone liking both Dwarf fortress and Mount&Blade, but the fact they provide an old version that you have to update first sure doesn't help to enjoy it fast.

After having downloaded the game twice (normal and an update of 600Mo), I will try it out and see if it works as well as is written on the website.

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
Well I don't know the exact differences between the demo and the real game as I've bought the game when it was very early in development. However I've wasted 12 straight hours playing this game it's that fun. And worth it with you get stronger and if you want a "fair" randomized states you can mod the game. That should keep you busy experimenting with the modding system AKA:Forgotten Construction set. And if your having trouble modding search me up on YouTube I have modding tutorials for the game. And tomorrow I plan to make the videos over and revamped!
Can a mod confirm whether this guy is a spam or not?
If he truly supports this game, I'm fine by it.

But if he comes here to advertise his youtube channel and get more fangirls... there will be hell to pay.

demonslay999

Jul 29, 2019
Can a mod confirm whether this guy is a spam or not?
If he truly supports this game, I'm fine by it.

But if he comes here to advertise his youtube channel and get more fangirls... there will be hell to pay.

I would like to be all hatting and all that on you but I'm just going to quickly explain. One am I spammer? No I simply said if you where having trouble making mods or knowing what to do then you can search those videos up or watch them to understand better how to mod. Two I'm not a popular YouTuber and really don't care if I am I'm simply a helpful person however my videos do need to be revamped and continued as I screwed up pretty bad on those two I won't be putting any out today as I said I would. I'm 16 and have a life called school in which I must do things for school one of which was to make video's for assignments. Why do I make video's for assignments? Easy One it's an option I'm given sometimes which I love and I can make video's very quickly, Two I talk and think better then I can write. That's my rant, I truly support Kenshi I've bought it long before you (maybe I can't say I have you might of got it in like 2010) or anyone else on this tread and continue to support it. I joined the forms on lofigames because people actually cared about my two cents so I got into modding the game and helped out people on the forum who where having trouble and what better way to give them a demonstration then with a video?

TL;DR:
No I'm not a spammer and I 100% support Kenshi and have told all my friends to buy it but I can't make them buy it that's their decision. I don't care for my youtube they are video's simply to help I'm not going to get a million views on a modding tutorial am I? or be the next "Gangnum style"? Simple answer no.

Munaus

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to be all hatting and all that on you but I'm just going to quickly explain. Heavy words following after that...
Whoah! haha.... there is anger here. This post tells me quite a lot about you :)
I like that you give out modding tutorials, don't get me wrong on that. I find too many times that 12yr olds tries to advertise their channel to gain some weird facebook likeness fever.
Clearly that is not the case here :p

What? Are you telling me you made a long post that you didn't wanna read? haha.... I like you already :D

Simple answer no.
This was all I needed from you.

I hope we both can contribute to Kenshi's developer, and that people will take notice and buy the game, so we can enjoy the day it comes out as a finished product :)

If Notch could succeed with Minecraft, so can Chris the Mighty AKA Captain Deathbeard with Kenshi be great awesome.

demonslay999

Jul 29, 2019
Whoah! haha.... there is anger here. This post tells me quite a lot about you :)
I like that you give out modding tutorials, don't get me wrong on that. I find too many times that 12yr olds tries to advertise their channel to gain some weird facebook likeness fever.
Clearly that is not the case here :p

What? Are you telling me you made a long post that you didn't wanna read? haha.... I like you already :D

This was all I needed from you.

I hope we both can contribute to Kenshi's developer, and that people will take notice and buy the game, so we can enjoy the day it comes out as a finished product :)

If Notch could succeed with Minecraft, so can Chris the Mighty AKA Captain Deathbeard with Kenshi be great awesome.

I hope so as well my friend.