Keep a chest stocked with X items at all times

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to do something that *seems* simple but I can't figure it out. I'm trying to feed nonstop coal and leaves to create Herba for Thaumcraft. My main storage is AE. I set up a tesseract, set up a precision export bus to it, and set it to pull those two items. Only one item sends, I assume this is because I need a buffer and the internal tesseract storage becomes full.

So I tried ender chests. However, I have no idea how to make AE keep a chest stocked with say 64 coal and 64 leaves at all times. Otherwise it's just hoping that the chest doesn't fill up with all of one item.

Any advice?

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I do not, from your description, understand your setup, or even if you are using AE1 or AE2.

If you are moving leaves and coal from a main ME network into a sub network, then level emitters will send a redstone signal in response to changes in the ME systems inventory levels. Export busses respond (turn off by default) in response to redstone signals, so two export busses, each exporting a single item into the subnetwork, with a paired level emitter will ensure that the subnetwork is kept stocked with a particular amount. that network would then have a ME chest that an empty golem is using, or export busses, to keep the arcane devices appropriately supplied.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Translocator with diamond nugget through an ME Interface, or Logistics Pipes Supply pipe..

EDIT RANT: why the big f does no one use translocators? BTW they can also be used to automate Blood Magic potions without a ritual, Witchery jar things, HSLA Steel, MFR Bio Fuel, Mariculture Fish Feeders, Ind-Cad-AG, any Carpenter recipes, basically anything that requires multiple inputs but the "machine" isn't i-sided or lock specific ingredients to specific slots.

Last edited:

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Translocator with diamond nugget through an ME Interface, or Logistics Pipes Supply pipe..

EDIT RANT: why the big f does no one use translocators? BTW they can also be used to automate Blood Magic potions without a ritual, Witchery jar things, HSLA Steel, MFR Bio Fuel, Mariculture Fish Feeders, Ind-Cad-AG ingots and about 1000 other things that I've forgotten what I used them for

I never understood how translocators are to be used. In the past I've only found youtube videos on it and I don't like to watch tutorials on youtube (I prefer reading about stuff).

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I never understood how translocators are to be used. In the past I've only found youtube videos on it and I don't like to watch tutorials on youtube (I prefer reading about stuff).

Make a set of 2
Put one on the interface that you've set to export coal and leaves, one on the ender chest(translocators have to be in the same block space)
Right click the little nipple on the translocator on the chest with a diamond nugget
Right click on the base of the translocator on the ender chest
Click on the grid with 64 leaves and 64 coal to set amount you want to keep in the chest(or whatever amount you want)
Right click on nipple to depress it
Items will now flow from interface into the chest until it has 64 coal and 64 leaves(or whatever amount u set the "regulate" to)

From MCF:

Overview Translocators is a mod that allows you to transfer items and liquids between nearby inventories with a heavily configureable amount of control in a way that feels natural to Minecraft. It was developed in 36 hours during the ModJam modding contest and managed to take first prize.

Translocators the crafting grid, a placeable one item crafting grid.
The translocator comes in item and liquid forms. You place them on the side of an inventory or tank. They transfer items and liquids within the one block space.
  • If the center piece is protruding, items/liquids will flow from this side, to the sides with the center inset.
  • Items/Liquids will always travel to non-redstone outputs if they can.
  • Items/Liquids will be evenly split between available outputs. Items will be taken from the slot with the largest quantity.
  • Right clicking on the plate of the item translocator brings up a configurable filter. These slots are fake and can be configured with NEI’s drag ‘n’ drop.
  • Adding glowstone to the plate makes it transfer stacks at a time.
  • Adding redstone lets you toggle input/output with a redstone signal.
  • Adding a diamond nugget (diamond in a crafting table gives 9) puts a translocator in regulate mode. In this mode it will maintain a certain amount of items set in the filter in the inventory it’s attached to.
    • On an inserting face, it will only accept items to fill the inventory to the matching filter
    • On an ejecting face, it will eject any items that don’t match the filter.
  • Adding an iron ingot makes the translocator emit redstone signals to the attached inventory on certain conditions.
    • On an inserting face, it will emit if there is no room for any item that matches the filter.
    • On an ejecting face, it will emit if there is no place where any item can be put that matches the filter.
  • Shift-Right clicking on the plate will strip and drop all upgrades placed on the translocator.

Crafting Grid The crafting grid is placed by pressing C (default key bind, changeable in settings) while looking at a solid top surface.
  • The grid will remain for 20 seconds, or 2 minutes since it’s last use.
  • Right clicking with items will add/remove them from the grid.
  • Pressing C again on the grid, will craft the items

Reactions: McJty

Noxer

Jul 29, 2019
You can accually do it by only using vanilla stuff by using a redstone comparator and a dropper. Could be useful to know if you ever were to find yourself in the abomination people call "vanilla minecraft". :eek:

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, I actually crafted a pair of Translocators before posting but couldn't figure them out. Makes sense now!

Very very useful items, I dunno why they'd be considered overpowered. They do what should of been invented a long time ago - an easy way to keep X amount of X in X. Any idea on the max range they can go?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, I actually crafted a pair of Translocators before posting but couldn't figure them out. Makes sense now!

Very very useful items, I dunno why they'd be considered overpowered. They do what should of been invented a long time ago - an easy way to keep X amount of X in X. Any idea on the max range they can go?

The two have to be in the same block space...

And he said "unbalanced" not OP, still a ridiculous statement. Does exactly the same thing as a golem or LP supplier pipe, but as the say opinions are like...

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

EDIT RANT: why the big f does no one use translocators? BTW they can also be used to automate Blood Magic potions without a ritual, Witchery jar things, HSLA Steel, MFR Bio Fuel, Mariculture Fish Feeders, Ind-Cad-AG, any Carpenter recipes, basically anything that requires multiple inputs but the "machine" isn't i-sided or lock specific ingredients to specific slots.
I hear you. Translocators are great regulators, and depending on modpack be quite expensive (what with ender pearls and diamonds). Their weakness is they only transfer items 1 block, and can regulate 9 items per translocator.
I once built an entire sorting+ore processing system using ender chests and translocators. That was a nice, fresh, and very expensive design build.

Just imagine them as advanced magical hoppers.