just how much performance does modded minecraft require?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, that's a lot of reading material on java there. *puts glasses on* :cool:

Regarding Optifine, everyone should note that it's hit or miss. Some people get big improvements, others only small or nothing, and yet others will find that it lowers their FPS. With six people sitting in the same room on new year's eve playing Minecraft, I've seen all three cases at once.

For me personally, Optifine doesn't change performance. I run it solely for the greater range of video options and the handy zoom button ;)

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Also turning ON "Advanced OpenGL" helps. Despite the name, Advanced OpenGL adds Z Occlusion, which means the game can skip rendering the back sides of hills.
Sadly it is exactly the systems that have problems in the first place that can't utilize that feature. You need a newer graphics card for it to be able to do it and that usually means that you already have good enough performance in rendering. CPU is the bottleneck in Minecraft right now, GPU is usually waiting for CPU to give it stuff to render.

Wow, that's a lot of reading material on java there. *puts glasses on* :cool:

Regarding Optifine, everyone should note that it's hit or miss. Some people get big improvements, others only small or nothing, and yet others will find that it lowers their FPS. With six people sitting in the same room on new year's eve playing Minecraft, I've seen all three cases at once.

For me personally, Optifine doesn't change performance. I run it solely for the greater range of video options and the handy zoom button ;)
Yeah, I don't really see any improvement on my game's performance. Rendering is not a problem and it doesn't really do anything to the CPU usage on single core. And multi-core is buggy for many. I use it for disabling fog, rain sound, etc.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
The other options for Server was:

Code:
-Xincgc -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2

These two are huge (for lag). Spawns separate threads for Garbgage Collection (old chunks), and does garbage collection in increments rather than large swaths (introduces lag).

Quick update: running this made no tangible difference in my particular case.

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
so i vastly improved performance by removing all of my microblocks and RP2 tubes and replaced them with logistics pipes. guess RP2 was causing performance problems.

Confidential1207

Jul 29, 2019
so i vastly improved performance by removing all of my microblocks and RP2 tubes and replaced them with logistics pipes. guess RP2 was causing performance problems.
For me, it is the opposite! Buildcraft Pipes make my cpu lag but Redpower tubes are faster. :eek:

G

Gizmo_PugLife

old pc spec amd a4 6300 2 core 8gb no gpu 250gb ssd 1tb wd blue laggy base 30 fps max settings
new pc spec i5 6600 non k gtx 1070 8gb ddr 5 ram 8gb ddr 4 same hardrive as my old pc and laggy base get around 80 ffps
but on my old pc it took 10 mins to load up a pack

M

MrBradshaw

when your on curse launcher go to settings and change the ram to 5g that's what I did. now I don't have any proplems at all with fps!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I realize this was a huge necro to begin with, but..

Optifine itself may not be a huge boost for everyone, but the options it opens up should almost universally offer the ability to boost performance. I honestly can't imagine anyone not being able to get some kind of a boost from Optifine if configured correctly. At the very least, it will let you go through and disable whatever gremlins are killing your system.

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
I'm actually glad this post got necro'd. I got Optifine working in the 1.10.2 DW20 pack(a miracle, as Optifine and FTB packs didn't agree with eachother in 1.7.10 and in the past) and it has helped greatly. I have a pretty weak CPU (was beefy back in its day).
Optifine has fixed a major studdering issue in my base that made no sense why it would be happening. I'm also using Java args that were posted in here to hopefully help ease the strain on my CPU even more.