Java Issues

johnrahl8

Jul 29, 2019
I have downloaded the Launcher.exe but every time I run it is gives me this error:

Completely unable to download the modpack file - check your connection: java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument: connect
loading map information...
Invalid argument: connect: java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument: connect
loading texture pack information...

Invalid argument: connect: java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument: connect

It will not even let me paste the error to pastebin.com

http://pastebin.com/iYqdD2bm was manually put in from my log.

Viper-7

Jul 29, 2019
Not an uncommon issue. It's because your system is trying to use IPv6 instead of IPv4, and the FTB launcher is still stuck in the dark ages :p

You can set Java to prefer IPv4 (but still allow IPv6 when needed), by using the option -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Because it can be a pain to send command line arguments to the launcher, i suggest using an environment variable.

Press start, right click on computer and hit properties, go to the advanced tab, press the environment variables button at the bottom, then press New in the bottom section (system variables)
Name: JAVA_OPTS
Value: -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Add that to the list and reboot your computer - things should now work as expected :)

Viper-7

Jul 29, 2019
Did you reboot your pc?

If so, then it appears you don't have any IPv4 support available. You can check this if you open a command prompt, and try the command "ping 8.8.8.8" without quotes. If you get messages that say reply from 8.8.8.8, i'm wrong, and come back here. If you get request timed out or any other error, you really need to call your internet provider and ask them how to configure IPv4 support.

Viper-7

Jul 29, 2019
Any anti-virus or firewall software running on your PC? Try disabling those temporarily.
The error is: java.net.SocketException: Invalid argument: connect

If you search for this error, you'll see its a Java level issue, not something specifically to do with Minecraft or FTB. At this point it basically has to be software you've installed on the PC which is denying Java network access. It could be any of thousands of programs (mostly antivirus or firewalls), but basically impossible to tell you exactly what from here.[DOUBLEPOST=1378770166][/DOUBLEPOST]If you tell me what pack you want I can give you a direct link, but it wont come with minecraft, wont work in the launcher (you'd probably want multimc or such), and most importantly, will most likely suffer from the same issues the launcher is having. Better to fix the issue than work around it.

johnrahl8

Jul 29, 2019
From what I can find, it seems that my network card, a Bigfoot Networks Killer, is to blame, if i find out how to fix this i will update here for someone else.

CoolCat2win

Jul 29, 2019
I also had this problem with the Bigfoot Networks Killer network card. I was finally able to fix it by updating my network driver. The updates are on the killer gaming site. Just search "killer gaming network drivers". I am sorry that I can't provide a link to the site because it was down when I made this post. I hope this helps. I dealt with this issue for over a year and it nearly drove me away from FTB. Now that it is fixed I can finally enjoy a good game of Minecraft.