Jampacked Prizes

electrifeye

Jul 29, 2019
Well, with this kind of incentive I can see the competition being fairly fierce - I'll just have to make sure my pack is as awesome as possible, and hopefully a lot more successful than my last attempt.

Also, is there a specific amount of playtime you would say is a good amount, or should I add as much content as I have time for (while still keeping a focused theme)?

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Also, is there a specific amount of playtime you would say is a good amount, or should I add as much content as I have time for (while still keeping a focused theme)?
Totally up to you. Keep in mind the judges will have to play through the whole pack, so if they get bored it might count against you. But on the other hand if the content stays exciting enough the whole way through and they don't get bored, lots of content would be a good idea.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
Totally up to you. Keep in mind the judges will have to play through the whole pack, so if they get bored it might count against you. But on the other hand if the content stays exciting enough the whole way through and they don't get bored, lots of content would be a good idea.
But what if you want to have a different type of pack from the rest. One where you don't have to play through the whole pack, but pick and choose the parts that interest you.(Can you clarify what "play through the whole pack means"? Is it where the judges play through the whole storyline until they hit the "ending" per say?)

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
The judges will play through as a normal player would, picking and choosing optional content as it interests them. If the pack reaches the last stage of judging, ie, where there's only a handful of closely contested packs, we would probably do a more thorough playthrough.

Edit: FYI, I will be putting up a post sometime in the next few weeks better explaining the judging process, and likely asking for volunteer judges. But I haven't fully worked it out yet.

But you can assume you're marketing the pack as you would to a normal player.

Reactions: psp

psp

Jul 29, 2019
The judges will play through as a normal player would, picking and choosing optional content as it interests them. If the pack reaches the last stage of judging, ie, where there's only a handful of closely contested packs, we would probably do a more thorough playthrough.

Edit: FYI, I will be putting up a post sometime in the next few weeks better explaining the judging process, and likely asking for volunteer judges. But I haven't fully worked it out yet.

But you can assume you're marketing the pack as you would to a normal player.
Ok, thanks. I'm just trying to make my pack re-playable.

Reactions: DeathOfTime

electrifeye

Jul 29, 2019
Another question: Many mod authors specify you can't make money off their mods as part of their terms of use. Would the possibility of winning these prizes count as making money, because if it does, that kinda removes about 50% of the available mods?

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Another question: Many mod authors specify you can't make money off their mods as part of their terms of use. Would the possibility of winning these prizes count as making money, because if it does, that kinda removes about 50% of the available mods?

As I interpret it, that applies to somehow making the user pay for the content, whether through some form of ads or directly. Donations or prizes wouldn't apply.

If any mod authors see this and don't agree, feel free to let me know and we won't accept any packs with your mods for the contest.

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
Has anyone noticed anything... DIFFERENT about announcement threads *cough* xenporta *cough*

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone noticed anything... DIFFERENT about announcement threads *cough* xenporta *cough*

They updates the forum's program. Probably to make it better for mobile. I HATE it!
You think they would think about asking the ones using the forum if they would like it changed.

Reactions: Jadedcat

akvgergo

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question:
So the judges have to play trough the entire map. That's fair. But what if the Pack isn't finished yet story/quest wise? If the pack is fully finished and ready to release and play, then that's obviously a bonus, but a good hgm pack takes incredible amounts of time to create, test and polish up. So my question is:
Is it going to be a huge backdraw if the pack isn't finished yet? What if the pack is buggy/untested?

Numbah90

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I think people should just focus on the main questline first, then do the sidequests. That way by the time the contest is over you can at least have the main game done.

Reactions: Padfoote

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Quick question:
So the judges have to play trough the entire map. That's fair. But what if the Pack isn't finished yet story/quest wise? If the pack is fully finished and ready to release and play, then that's obviously a bonus, but a good hgm pack takes incredible amounts of time to create, test and polish up. So my question is:
Is it going to be a huge backdraw if the pack isn't finished yet? What if the pack is buggy/untested?
Yes, it will be a major drawback. You have two months, that's plenty of time to make a good pack.

nursemmalee

Jul 29, 2019
Two months is "plenty of time to make a good pack". Yes, I'm sure this is true for people who know how to use MCEdit/WorldEdit, who have no problems reading/understanding/changing/writing configs, who know what files go where, etc. Since this contest excludes most of the people who know this stuff like the back of their hand I'm wondering how everyone is doing with this. For someone like me who has no experience at all, two months is nothing. But I've accepted that I'm not gonna get my pack done on time. I hope everyone has a good time and I wish good luck on all and congrats to the winner(s).

electrifeye

Jul 29, 2019
Two months is "plenty of time to make a good pack". Yes, I'm sure this is true for people who know how to use MCEdit/WorldEdit, who have no problems reading/understanding/changing/writing configs, who know what files go where, etc. Since this contest excludes most of the people who know this stuff like the back of their hand I'm wondering how everyone is doing with this. For someone like me who has no experience at all, two months is nothing. But I've accepted that I'm not gonna get my pack done on time. I hope everyone has a good time and I wish good luck on all and congrats to the winner(s).

I'm finding it a challenge, but possible to do it on time, though I've had to essentially make a time plan for getting the project done in time. Unlike many people entering, I actually did enter last year (though with little success). However, I have found it useful to look at the mistakes I made last time and learn from them. Pretty much if people are struggling for time, you may just need to spend less time on each thing you make. Often you could add feature X to make it all the more awesome, but it'll work well as it is so you should move on and come back later if there's time. There's a balance to this, of course, if you have nothing special or interesting in your pack then there's no incentive to play it. Just sometimes you have to make compromises.