I've Screwed Myself

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Well, really no wonder the Launcher wont let you allocate(means reserve) more RAM then, as there would be nothing left for your OS and any other program to use.

Your problem is most likely that you are starving your system of memory by allocating way way too high a percentage of it to MC. Reduce it to 2-2.5GB. If you cant load a specific pack with that amount of memory, then you will either need to play a smaller pack or upgrade your RAM.

You need to expect your OS to use 1GB+. Java will use more than what you allocate to MC in the launcher, sometimes about the double. So as you might see, allocating 2.5GB with only 4GB total might be a stretch. But it has been reported as doable. Specially if you play on servers etc.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
How would I go about upgrading my ram?
That becomes rather complicated. Would be best if you know someone who can help you with it.
You would first have to figure out if your motherboard supports more RAM(probably does, have to be pretty old to only support 4GB), if it supports Dual or Tripple RAM(probably Dual, tripple RAM wasnt really a thing for very long). Is it DDR2, DDR3 RAM(probably DDR3 unless it is quite old). Then you need to figure out which RAM frequency your CPU works best with. This RAM frequency then correlates to a number on the RAM like DDR3-1600 = PC3-12800.

You then buy (kit of 2x the same RAM block is recommended to take advantage of Dual RAM speeds) the RAM and replace your old ones with it.

Probably the easiest way to get a hint of which category to look in, would be to get the numbers of your old RAM and google it. As long as someone intelligent installed them, then it should match the stats of everything else.

Darkling54

Jul 29, 2019
That becomes rather complicated. Would be best if you know someone who can help you with it.
You would first have to figure out if your motherboard supports more RAM(probably does, have to be pretty old to only support 4GB), if it supports Dual or Tripple RAM(probably Dual, tripple RAM wasnt really a thing for very long). Is it DDR2, DDR3 RAM(probably DDR3 unless it is quite old). Then you need to figure out which RAM frequency your CPU works best with. This RAM frequency then correlates to a number on the RAM like DDR3-1600 = PC3-12800.

You then buy (kit of 2x the same RAM block is recommended to take advantage of Dual RAM speeds) the RAM and replace your old ones with it.

Probably the easiest way to get a hint of which category to look in, would be to get the numbers of your old RAM and google it. As long as someone intelligent installed them, then it should match the stats of everything else.
Thanks a lot. You've been a great help and I really appreciate it.