I've Screwed Myself

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Darkling54

Jul 29, 2019
I got on the launcher and it said I was using an outdated version of java. So I installed java 7 and got rid of java 6 thinking everything was fine and dandy. I was wrong. When I tried opening the launcher it said that I didn't have java and it directed me to the page I'd just installed java 7 on. I don't know what to do and I really love ftb so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Darkling

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I got on the launcher and it said I was using an outdated version of java. So I installed java 7 and got rid of java 6 thinking everything was fine and dandy. I was wrong. When I tried opening the launcher it said that I didn't have java and it directed me to the page I'd just installed java 7 on. I don't know what to do and I really love ftb so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Darkling
Ehm we are talking PC here right? Don't see why it wouldn't work with Java 7. Think everyone is using Java 7 now, I am at least. Are you sure you installed the right version? 64bit?

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I've never tried 8, but 7 I guess is fine for me? Hell if I know I don't experience massive issues with it if that counts, best fps I have ever gotten with Java 7 no params and optifine ultra on 1.6.4 is about 750 ish. Doesn't last long after you start making massive buildings and factories.

Vogon

Jul 29, 2019
best fps I have ever gotten with Java 7 no params and optifine ultra on 1.6.4 is about 750...
I'll just go and get depressed in the bar over there now....

best i had was 50.... and that is after the memory upgrade to 8 gigs... no optifine though...

Reactions: RedBoss

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Optifine can be soo hit or miss, I enjoyed using it for Vanilla, but for mods.. /shrug

Oh, Thread did not deliver implied topic.. :p

Reactions: RedBoss

Darkling54

Jul 29, 2019
The java website installs 32bit java. You have to manually install 64bit.
I did have to manually install 64 bit.
In my experience, I've actually had less problems with 8 then 7.
I'm not sure if java is doing this, but the game will close if I try to load a simple flat world. It's pretty ridiculous.
I've never tried 8, but 7 I guess is fine for me? Hell if I know I don't experience massive issues with it if that counts, best fps I have ever gotten with Java 7 no params and optifine ultra on 1.6.4 is about 750 ish. Doesn't last long after you start making massive buildings and factories.
Holy shit!

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
The java website installs 32bit java. You have to manually install 64bit.
depends on the browser you use, a 32 bit browser (like FF) will try only 32 bit while a 64 bit browser will use the 64 bit installer unless you specify the bitness manually

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
3.25. That's the most I can
First of, more is not better. 3GB is what you would give something like Monster while using a medium/highres texturepack. Unless you are doing that, back it down to 2-2.5GB

Second, why cant you allocate more?(Not that you should!)

Darkling54

Jul 29, 2019
The slider won't go any farther. I know that's a stupid answer but I don't really know anything more than that.