I've been gone too long

LordSlyFox

Jul 29, 2019
It's been well over a year since I've touched minecraft, much less modded minecraft.
So I've got a question for you all, what's the norm these days?
Back when I left, 1.7 was still getting tons of mod activity, nobody was updating to 1.8, and a lot of 1.9 and 10 stuff was coming out. What is it like these days?

What version gets the most updates? What version do all the new cutting edge mods come out on? Whats the best Kitchen Sink Pack that just has every single mod in it?

~LordSlyFox

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
is TiCon still a thing? And did Thaumcraft ever get an update >~<

TiCon v2 is a thing now, all material properties are reworked such that you can now really tinker with different materials giving different features under different circumstances. It is no longer possible to make an obviously best tool for everyone, and you can change tool parts on existing tools without the add-on.

Thaumcraft was the first to update post 1.7, with TC5 being made for 1.8. However, as you noted, 1.8 never became big. TC5 was not updated post 1.8 and is now stuck in its own isolated environment. The TC author is moving on in life and isn't able to work on TC anymore, there is a faint hope, and some indications, that someone else might take over, as has happened with other mods, but I don't know the status on that. (a shame because TC5 might have been the best version of TC ever, but very few people will be experiencing it)

TE v5 has reworked the upgrade and augmentation system and added many new machines with functions borrowed from Ic2.

IE is going strong and adding many new features, but is otherwise still the same.

What is it like these days?

The Energy environment has gotten fractured, with all tech mods removing RF dependencies. Thanks to the new Forge energy API they all work together still, but in my opinion, things appear very messy.

RC is stuck in 1.10 at the moment, BC is stuck in 1.11 at the moment. (and very alpha) Forestry is working fine in all versions, and TE has been completely out of the running for a while but is currently working fine in all versions once more. (by "all versions" I mean 1.10 + 1.11 + 1.12)

Many modpacks include less well known mods, in part just to provide features that would in the past be provided by other mods. (this is not necessarily a bad thing)

All in all, the modded environment is incredibly fractured. Thus, despite the fact that it is old, the 1.7.10 environment is still a good place the be, because all popular mods are together in that versions. Many people are hoping that 1.12 will become the new 1.7.10. (though a.t.m. this is still just idle hope)

Reactions: Greystoke

LordSlyFox

Jul 29, 2019
TiCon v2 is a thing now, all material properties are reworked such that you can now really tinker with different materials giving different features under different circumstances. It is no longer possible to make an obviously best tool for everyone, and you can change tool parts on existing tools without the add-on.

Thaumcraft was the first to update post 1.7, with TC5 being made for 1.8. However, as you noted, 1.8 never became big. TC5 was not updated post 1.8 and is now stuck in its own isolated environment. The TC author is moving on in life and isn't able to work on TC anymore, there is a faint hope, and some indications, that someone else might take over, as has happened with other mods, but I don't know the status on that. (a shame because TC5 might have been the best version of TC ever, but very few people will be experiencing it)

TE v5 has reworked the upgrade and augmentation system and added many new machines with functions borrowed from Ic2.

IE is going strong and adding many new features, but is otherwise still the same.

The Energy environment has gotten fractured, with all tech mods removing RF dependencies. Thanks to the new Forge energy API they all work together still, but in my opinion, things appear very messy.

RC is stuck in 1.10 at the moment, BC is stuck in 1.11 at the moment. (and very alpha) Forestry is working fine in all versions, and TE has been completely out of the running for a while but is currently working fine in all versions once more. (by "all versions" I mean 1.10 + 1.11 + 1.12)

Many modpacks include less well known mods, in part just to provide features that would in the past be provided by other mods. (this is not necessarily a bad thing)

All in all, the modded environment is incredibly fractured. Thus, despite the fact that it is old, the 1.7.10 environment is still a good place the be, because all popular mods are together in that versions. Many people are hoping that 1.12 will become the new 1.7.10. (though a.t.m. this is still just idle hope)
Thank you, that's almost exactly the sort of reply I was looking for!
TiCon v2 :eek: Sounds absolutely amazing, and I'd love to see what sort of addons they've made for that.
TC is dead, that news is disappointing to hear but I somewhat knew that was happening when I left. I'd like to see someone attempt to continue on what Azanor had made in the past, as Azanor was obviously a very talented modder and had some definite ideas about where TC would go and what it was.
Glad to hear that IE is going strong, that's awesome. TE is updated too, surprised but glad haha.
Forestry was never something I got very into but I'm happy to hear it's doing quite well.
No RF dependencies :O I'm shocked in all honesty, I thought RF would be the one to never die. Happy to hear modpacks are using smaller mods these days, but there are probably a flood of tiny mods that all do the same thing now.

Reactions: Greystoke

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
TC is dead, that news is disappointing to hear but I somewhat knew that was happening when I left. I'd like to see someone attempt to continue on what Azanor had made in the past, as Azanor was obviously a very talented modder and had some definite ideas about where TC would go and what it was.

Sad news is that a couple of good modders offered to take take over Thaumcraft but Azanor declined. So TC is dead until Azanor come back to work on it. Which may happend, but he has some RL issues to deal first from what I understand.

No RF dependencies :O I'm shocked in all honesty, I thought RF would be the one to never die. Happy to hear modpacks are using smaller mods these days, but there are probably a flood of tiny mods that all do the same thing now.

I wouldn't say RF died. It sort of morphed into forge. Forge now has a generic energy system build in. So while it may seem a little fractured for most part you can still connect most things together and get them to work except of course IC2. So no real issues using Immersive Engineering to power Mek machines via TE fluxducts.