It's time to revive this forum

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I never tried Continuum, so I can't speak to that part, but how much of the rest actually comes down to available mods? You get something like Unstable because there aren't enough mods to make a real modpack. If you're talking about 1.14/1.15, there's enough mods to throw together something of a modpack but nothing cohesive.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
1.12 Is still kind of the benchmark right now. 1.14 has some interesting stuff, but we're not quite there yet.

Create is one of the most interesting 1.14 mods I've seen so far, I must say.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013

Agreed, but I cry for my tick rate with all the 'in world' crafting that's being done these days... when Botania came out with it's in world crafting concept people complained about it LOL

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Agreed, but I cry for my tick rate with all the 'in world' crafting that's being done these days... when Botania came out with it's in world crafting concept people complained about it LOL
Did they?? Hah. The Runic Altar was really quite novel when it first came about!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
1.12 Is still kind of the benchmark right now. 1.14 has some interesting stuff, but we're not quite there yet.

I think that might actually reinforce my view here (namely that it's circumstances, not personnel). Is there anything new and exciting in 1.12 anymore? Anything worthy of inspiring the next great modpack?

1.13 brought on a bit of a Minecraft comeback for a reason. The whole feel of the core game is different. I don't want to go back. When I get some time to start making mods, I'm not wasting my time on 1.12, either. I could see going back and doing infinity on a nostalgia trip. Maybe a 1.12 pack in a few years for the same reason. But imo, 1.12 is a dying standard.
I
can't believe I'm saying this, either. I've been on record as saying I didn't care what Microsoft did to it because I believe in the community. Hardcore fans that write mods for free because they're passionate. Fans are also freer to take risks and widespread availability means more creative minds at work. I still believe in all of this, but I am going on record right now in saying that I was completely wrong about the core game.

The mods amplify the vanilla game, but the vanilla game sets the tone. The core game now is so much better than 1.10. Great mods like Create are only possible because of some of the new structural changes. Specifically the ability to have things moving around smoothly.

The game looks better, feels better, runs better. It handles dropped items better. The water mechanics alone are worth keeping. You can pipe anything in any direction like they're item pipes. or people chutes, if you prefer. Get a conduit and place it in the middle of a warm ocean coral patch, suddenly you've got a gorgeous underwater plot that might as well be low-level creative flight.

I really want to see more of it. More mods with more smooth animations. I want to see people take the bee navigation code and make drones that, say, plant and harvest for you or something.

In short, I think it's slow because we're in transition again. This is 1.7 to 1.8 all over again. I want to see 1.16.x the next great plateau.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I think that might actually reinforce my view here (namely that it's circumstances, not personnel). Is there anything new and exciting in 1.12 anymore? Anything worthy of inspiring the next great modpack?

1.13 brought on a bit of a Minecraft comeback for a reason. The whole feel of the core game is different. I don't want to go back. When I get some time to start making mods, I'm not wasting my time on 1.12, either. I could see going back and doing infinity on a nostalgia trip. Maybe a 1.12 pack in a few years for the same reason. But imo, 1.12 is a dying standard.
I
can't believe I'm saying this, either. I've been on record as saying I didn't care what Microsoft did to it because I believe in the community. Hardcore fans that write mods for free because they're passionate. Fans are also freer to take risks and widespread availability means more creative minds at work. I still believe in all of this, but I am going on record right now in saying that I was completely wrong about the core game.

The mods amplify the vanilla game, but the vanilla game sets the tone. The core game now is so much better than 1.10. Great mods like Create are only possible because of some of the new structural changes. Specifically the ability to have things moving around smoothly.

The game looks better, feels better, runs better. It handles dropped items better. The water mechanics alone are worth keeping. You can pipe anything in any direction like they're item pipes. or people chutes, if you prefer. Get a conduit and place it in the middle of a warm ocean coral patch, suddenly you've got a gorgeous underwater plot that might as well be low-level creative flight.

I really want to see more of it. More mods with more smooth animations. I want to see people take the bee navigation code and make drones that, say, plant and harvest for you or something.

In short, I think it's slow because we're in transition again. This is 1.7 to 1.8 all over again. I want to see 1.16.x the next great plateau.

Hell I'm still back on 1.6.4 with my modpack built off of monster, and eventually I'll get around to creating one for 1.7 I guess. Really would like to see this forum thrive again.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

I'd have to agree with that first part - we are in a stage of transition from 1.12 to... I don't know, maybe 1.15 or 1.16. But I'm not sure I want to wait that long for a new plateau. If 1.14 was a good stepping stone (a la 1.6->1.7) I'd be happy. It would give some mods I like a chance to catch up to some new mods I want to play with.

After my computer decided to melt itself, I had only my Xbox to scratch the Minecraft itch, and I have to say the new possibilities in 1.14 Vanilla allow for some amazing options that simply didn't exist in 1.12, and it makes it hard to go back when the base game is the mod you want to exploit.

I'm happy the updates to the underlying codebase have both made things run smoother and added content and features that don't completely blow. I'm actually looking forward to the Nether Update, but waiting for a new Forge, then the slow march of mods updating, and all the mods that fall through the cracks during the process is a cycle I can't enjoy.

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm not the world's biggest Microsoft fan. I was paid to endorse (ie, lie to the general public about) Windows 8 and while I like win10, everything Microsoft does has seemed like a lame second rate attempt to catch up to a future it doesn't fully understand. It's the Boomer of mega corporations trying to keep up with Google, the millennial.

But, whoever is running the Minecraft team gives a shit about Minecraft, which is all I could ask for. Their changes are good. Mostly, I'm not a super huge fan of the insomnia mechanic. The vanilla game feels a lot more complete now. We almost didn't even bother with mods, we just wanted the maps and some basic conveniences. We added more over time but it's the core game running the show right now a d it's been one of my longest running, most active servers to date.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame