It's time to revive this forum

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Bug reports still come up fairly often, and the odd question or two. And of course the forum games are still pretty active ;)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I mean, after the disaster of merging with Curse and then Twitch and then the split to having no launcher of their own... Of course you can find the older packs on MultiMC, but they've decided to no longer support Forge, so that's a dead platform option going forward. I suspect the forum is dead because FTB is unsure where to go from here.

Reactions: 1 person

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Forge is dead? I'm totally ignorant, btw, I'm not saying that sarcastically.

Does Fabric fit into this somehow? Is that going to be some kind of successor? I really don't know what's going on, but I got the impression that Fabric was able to host mods regardless of Minecraft version? Is that even true and does that come with inherant limitations?

Is there a short version summary of the state of Modded Minecraft today? Like for dummies like me?

Reactions: 1 person

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Forge is not dead, the latest versions are just not supported by MultiMC. Modded is still pretty much stuck in 1.12 until modders figure out what they want to do with 1.15+.

How have you been by the way bretto? Been a while since I've seen you around here

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I've been good! Thanks! I still pop over from time to time, but life pulls you away. Though, as I'm transitioning into a software dev role, I wanted to start making mods on the side, so you all probably aren't rid of me yet.

I am running a custom 1.14.4 pack I threw together. I finally have a base full of carts moving around! In fact, my base has a digestive system and I'm going to build a small neural network. It's pretty much "self-replication" away from being technically alive. I'm working on it.

It's actually a fairly full-feeling modpack. Even has Botania. From my read, 1.14.4 is semi viable today. Only thing it's missing is the old staples and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Besides a few specific examples, the fabric mods out there aren't robust enough to justify a modpack. We use twitch, only because I taught my family how to do it on twitch and I just don't want to do it all over again, lol.

But, I did notice it's not filling up as quickly as I would have expected. With Botania there, I figured some of the other big mods would quickly follow.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
I think FTB as a whole is on the decline, this forum was never good and overall most of the FTB packs weren't great.
At least compared to the third party ones.

And yeah 1.14.4 is looking pretty good
I also saw a few 1.15 packs on Twitch, not sure if they have any content but they do exist.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
this forum was never good

When you first arrived to this forum you had expectations that others would write and spam all the time, comparing to specific server communities that makes money of their servers.

This community has and will never be in that way, it's a slower pace on all the platforms (forum, IRC, Discord, Twitter etc.) - but that doesn't mean it's bad.

and overall most of the FTB packs weren't great.

How a pack is received depends a lot on the player, not everyone thinks the same - and if you don't like them, don't play them.

I for one have always liked the fact that the pack makers behind the FTB packs put a lot of time and effort in the packs, striving to make sure that everything works as good as possible (of course there's bugs, it's still Minecraft - with mods) - both game content and also performance (for server owners this is important).

To be honest I don't understand what you're doing here, almost every post you make is complaining about stuff - spreading negativity and actually making this place less fun.

There's nothing and no one forcing you to stay here.

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
When you first arrived to this forum you had expectations that others would write and spam all the time, comparing to specific server communities that makes money of their servers.

This community has and will never be in that way, it's a slower pace on all the platforms (forum, IRC, Discord, Twitter etc.) - but that doesn't mean it's bad.
I'm not talking about the community, I'm talking about the forum itself, this place is more riddled with bugs than a Ubisoft game.
How a pack is received depends a lot on the player, not everyone thinks the same - and if you don't like them, don't play them.

I for one have always liked the fact that the pack makers behind the FTB packs put a lot of time and effort in the packs, striving to make sure that everything works as good as possible (of course there's bugs, it's still Minecraft - with mods) - both game content and also performance (for server owners this is important).
There are objective measurable things behind quality of entertainment, what matters is not what works as well as possible but rather what can be objectively measured as "fun" or "difficult" FTB rarely puts out a pack that isn't either a trashy collection of mods or a snoozefest. Don't need to bring up FTB Continuum do I? Compare this to some of the recent third party packs, Enigmatic 2 is fantastic along with some other ones that have been developed quicker and thus are more able to take advantage of the new sets of mods out there. FTB releases packs that work really well because they don't use anything new. The "FTB" packs that have been considered good weren't really been made by FTB itself, looking at you, Skyfactory.
To be honest I don't understand what you're doing here, almost every post you make is complaining about stuff - spreading negativity and actually making this place less fun.

There's nothing and no one forcing you to stay here.
Because making people sad brings me happiness and thus I do it for fun.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Okay, seriously though... let's kind of knock off the sniping? We're all just folks here.

First off, 'fun' is inherently a subjective term. What is fun for one person is not fun for another person. For example, when I was younger, I really enjoyed FPS's. Played the original DOOM, Quake, Unreal Tournament... then it kinda lost appeal for me. These days, I really can't stand them. Did the games get worse? No, of course not. But my enjoyment of them did.

There's different strokes for different folks. Some people like big kitchen sink modpacks where balance is strictly a secondary (or tertiary) consideration, and there's many 'unintended synergies' to exploit. And for those people, most FTB packs are right up their alley. They've at least been somewhat curated so you don't have a dozen different types of copper generating in the world, and generally lets you get on with playing the game.

I will agree that FTB's strength is also its weakness... the demand for more tightly curated packs is higher than it was when FTB first started its gig, and the FTB team hasn't really kept up with that very well. Of course, it also takes FAR more effort to produce a more tightly curated pack, and as the number of mods in a pack grows, the difficulty to maintain cross compatibility while reducing the number of 'unintended synergies' grows *geometrically*. So either you keep a slim 'lite' pack, or you dump hundreds of man-hours into the pack for proper curation. Neither are attractive propositions, especially since the depth of the mod list has become something of a... ahem... 'appendage waving' competition.

So yes, FTB packs are... shall we say 'conservative' in their output. But that's not necessarily a bad thing overall, it is just *a* thing. And at this point, it's kind of their brand recognition at this point. You want a pack you know won't crash you out but isn't going to be using any bleeding edge content? FTB packs are going to be your go-to, and people know it.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I think the thing for me is that the FTB team are a bit stuck in the past when it comes to modpacks.

Unstable packs used to be interesting, but there hasn't been one of those for a while now, their 'hard mode' pack fell flat on it's face for being a major time sink on mods that people didn't like (or down right hated).

I do hope they try to do something different, try to keep 'the brand' alive as they were instrumental in the early days, but until they get some fresh blood into the team, it's going to be IC2 and Logistics Pipes from here on in.

Reactions: LordPINE