Item Recognition in FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

layton452

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering if there was a way, with the current FTB mods, to create a system which could recognize an item placed inside and open a door. Essentially it is for a railway station - you receive a ticket, which then could hopefully be used to open the door to the platform. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance! :)

Komirne

Jul 29, 2019
You could use some RP tube system using either a regulator or an item detector, they output a redstone signal when their item requirement is met or a certain item passes through.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Configure a diamond pipe with the item and loop everything else back.

There's also a vanilla way using hoppers in 1.5. But also using items stacking on the ground is possible without hoppers but will cause the items to disappear if you don't use obsidian pipes or something.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Look into researching Thaumcraft Warded Doors. They allow you to create and hand out keys, which are secure - unlike a random item that a stranger can guess. They also can't be simply broken to get inside.

vScourge

Jul 29, 2019
You could also pipe the items through a Interactive Sorter block (MiscPeripherals), to trigger something when items match a specific ID. Would require light amount of Lua.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
The RP2 Sortron would give the most comprehensive coverage here. A bit of FORTH knowledge would be necessary, however.

Kagbok

Jul 29, 2019
I've heard that a turtle can compare two items in its inventory, but I've never tried it myself.

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
set a sorting machine to only pull out the "ticket" and to pass it through a regulator or something. that way no timers or engines to fuss with, even if it is a little expensive

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft golems can do the job as well. As well as factorisation routers with a filter.

So many choices!

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
Then there's sethblings vanilla one, which is totally awesome, if a bit over complicated when you have mods. Look it up on youtube, worth watching.