Issue with the New Forum Look

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrammieFi

Jul 29, 2019
I think this is the proper place for this. If not, please feel free to move it.

I came into the forum to see the new look. For the most part it's splendid. Unfortunately there is an issue that I think needs spoken to. First of all, I should mention that I'm an artist. Color is what I do. I'm not super talented or anything, but have had some years of instruction, particularly in color theory.

My issue is with the blue used as a background color for the forum. It's a lovely color, but it's too intense. When you put large areas of very strong color in anything, but most particularly on a web page, it overwhelms the eyes a bit and created eye strain. For most people it's no more than unconsciously irritating. For some it results in actual headaches. I don't usually have a problem with headaches from it but even for my eyes it's too much.

My suggestion is that you choose a similar color that is no more than 80% saturated. The color you have there is html color# 00008a. In HSV, that is hue 240, saturation 100, value 54. If you choose html color# 23238a, for example, it is very close to the same visually with HSV of hue 240, saturation 75, value 54. However, it will lose much of that "vibrating" intensity and therefor cause much less strain on our eyes.

This is just a suggestion. However, I hope you seriously consider it.

~Grammie Fi

RampantPanda65

Jul 29, 2019
I find myself agreeing to this. After looking at the web page for a while, it does get a bit annoying. I find the blue to be a bit...intrusive.

MrJeff

Jul 29, 2019
I was trying to find an eloquent way to express the same thing. I have been finding it difficult to spend any length of time looking at the forums, because of how the vibrancy of the color choices come across on my monitor.

Would it be possible to give the option of a muted grey/blue color scheme in the user control panel? That way, it can remain this way for those that like it, but those of us with issues can still participate?

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I do have to agree as well.

This reminds me very much of one of the default themes in final fantasy. I always reduce it by about 25% before I can even stand to look at it.

Rhinehart_

Jul 29, 2019
aye it is overwhelming though i prefer it to losing the forums as a way to interact with my fellow minecrafters....

IBurn36360

Jul 29, 2019
I will probably be toning the color down a little, although I am focused on odd bugs that popped up and the solutions to them, as well as working on the beginning of new features.

- Anthony 'IBurn36360' Diaz

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
My eyes, they hurt!

Also, smileys look a bit wierd, have a look at this.
:D :) ;) :( :eek: :shock: :? :cool: :lol: :x :p :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

LegitNeek

Jul 29, 2019
I happen to like the new forum look, I didn't at first and in fact I agreed with everyone else in this thread that I found it bright and garish. But after a few hours, it has grown on me.

I won't mind if it's toned down or whatever the staff decide to do with the colour scheme, but I, for one, happen to have quite a gaudy colour pallette ;)

Avaa

Jul 29, 2019
I think it makes the site look quite old, like a private run website would have looked in 2000.
The contrast is really a bit to strong.. on the other hand I really like the new navbar at the top of the screen
and the site feel a lot easier to navigate.

RampantPanda65

Jul 29, 2019
frederikam said:
My eyes, they hurt!

:D :) ;) :( :eek: :shock: :? :cool: :lol: :x :p :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek:

Did you really have to post all the smiles? :p

Stanekk

Jul 29, 2019
Avaa said:
I think it makes the site look quite old, like a private run website would have looked in 2000.
The contrast is really a bit to strong.. on the other hand I really like the new navbar at the top of the screen
and the site feel a lot easier to navigate.

The nav bar is nice though i think the forum needing a double click annoys a little

To OP: your Explantation gave me headaches ^^ Not any of the colors or the Blue xD

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
RampantPanda65 said:
frederikam said:
My eyes, they hurt!

Did you really have to post all the smiles? :p
Yes, yes i had to.
Here, have a look at the new ones:
:grin: :) ;) :wave: :hello: :scratch: :bye: :glare: :( :good: :this: :thumbsup: :hug: :lol: :shock: :cray: :cool: :blackeye: :banghead: :amen: :yahoo: :rolleyes: :doh: :write: :beee: :beg: :blink: :clapping: :p :confused: :rotfl: :cry: :blush:
g7parsh said:
I agree that there is too much blue. A little less intense would be better.
I agree

RampantPanda65

Jul 29, 2019
frederikam said:
My eyes, they hurt!

Yes, yes i had to.
Here, have a look at the new ones:
:grin: :) ;) :wave: :hello: :scratch: :bye: :glare: :( :good: :this: :thumbsup: :hug: :lol: :shock: :cray: :cool: :blackeye: :banghead: :amen: :yahoo: :rolleyes: :doh: :write: :beee: :beg: :blink: :clapping: :p :confused: :rotfl: :cry: :blush:

Once I was :cry:
So I :beg: my mum to buy a wall so I could :banghead:
I then went to church :clapping:
So I said a prayer :amen:
:rotfl:

whizard_dragon

Jul 29, 2019
When I first saw the new color I didn't think much of it until I started to browse the forums for quite some time. At first it made my eyes hurt, but now I am somewhat used to it. Still seems bright, but doesn't hurt my eyes as much now.

GrammieFi

Jul 29, 2019
IBurn, thanks for considering toning down the color a bit. I can understand you have higher priorities. No problem, really.

and for those who really do like the blue, I do too, but I'd like it better if the color was just a bit less intense.

Stanekk

Jul 29, 2019
Where we are at colors atm. Sometimes its hard too see if there is a New post in a forum section. But also a Minor problem i think ;)

FnordMan

Jul 29, 2019
is there a way to get a customizable look? all but certain phpbb supports this.
why? the color scheme is still quite hideous looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.