Issue: Buildcraft Filler Breaks Items (Not Blocks)

TartarusMkII

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

I am running my own server which runs with Mindcrack (v8.2.0) plus everything from the Direwolf20 (v5.2.1) pack.

I am having an issue on my server where, possibly due to lag, blocks broken by a Buildcraft filler appear on the ground briefly before seeming to shoot in the direction of the Filler block itself, never to be seen again.

I use fillers as clearers and farmers, and I don't understand why this server is having such an issue. In the configuration files, the settings make sure that the Filler breaks blocks and does not destroy them. Everything should be dropping as normal.

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this? Thanks in advance, guys.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
fillers were fixed a while back to stop people useing them as cheap quarrys now items desapwn almost instantly and the lines in config disabled so it cannot be changed

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
That's pretty stupid. It's a config for a reason
and was removed for a reason its not there intended use of a filler at the time you have fillers you will more then likely have a quarry and not care about the handfull of destroyed resources if you do then just mine it by hand

Reactions: Larroke and RedBoss

TartarusMkII

Jul 29, 2019
Ah thanks a lot for the info. I guess it makes sense, but I was using it to reclaim buildings, not really to mine with. I understand that it's sort of hard to allow one or the other, though. Thanks guys.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
Try your hand at some turtle programming and make a program (or modify the exiisting excavate) to excavate up rather then down, place turtle at bottom of structure and set its range to the building size.

TartarusMkII

Jul 29, 2019
Try your hand at some turtle programming and make a program (or modify the exiisting excavate) to excavate up rather then down, place turtle at bottom of structure and set its range to the building size.

That's an awesome idea, and someone on our server is good at using the turtles, so that'll work out just fine. Thanks!

343N

Jul 29, 2019
and was removed for a reason its not there intended use of a filler at the time you have fillers you will more then likely have a quarry and not care about the handfull of destroyed resources if you do then just mine it by hand
well yeah, but why disable the config option?
that's the whole point of a config isn't it, to configure the mod?
"we're gonna leave this in the config but make it not do anything"
they should atleast remove it from the config if it's gonna be disabled

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
Oversight? Its quite easy to overlook an unused variable in a config file. If it makes you feel less dramatic, try just deleting the entire line, then its out of the config.

343N

Jul 29, 2019
well honestly i'm moreso amazed that if it WAS a config option why would you remove it?

343N

Jul 29, 2019
eh, I guess
still don't know why you wouldn't want configurability with your mod
i mean, if i were the mod author i would keep it as a config option because a. it doesn't get people thinking it's too OP because it's disabled by default and most servers I know don't mess with configs, and b. it lets the user do what THEY want with the mod themselves.
and c. bonus points for being configurable
but
all power to sirsengir

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
the config option has been there for a long long time and why add a config for something thats not intended? over all its the mods authors choice the filler is still extremely useful for what its made for clearing space quick wthout care about a few ores also with the coin of fortune you can still pick up the items

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
eh, I guess
still don't know why you wouldn't want configurability with your mod
i mean, if i were the mod author i would keep it as a config option because a. it doesn't get people thinking it's too OP because it's disabled by default and most servers I know don't mess with configs, and b. it lets the user do what THEY want with the mod themselves.
and c. bonus points for being configurable
but
all power to sirsengir

You aren't the mod author though...

Make a few mods with specific purposes/scopes and see what you'd do to keep them operating within the scopes you set.

If you want to dig for materials.. use a quarry, if you want to clear/flatten or fill an area use a filler, it is cheap for that reason. If you want it to be easy to have everything at once at your whim, play creative.

If you want to bitch and moan about configs or lacks of configs to mods like BC, there's appropriate venues for that rathen then flaming up these forums.. And you're more then likely going to get a colder shoulder there.

343N

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose, bickers. And larroke I'm not really complaining about that I'm just trying to say that I think configurability is better

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose, bickers. And larroke I'm not really complaining about that I'm just trying to say that I think configurability is better

Originally, it was configurable to have the filler destroy items. No one used it this way and it started to replace the quarry when YouTubers started showcasing it as the next great thing (Which the mod author stated was not the intended use of the Filler) so he made it so the filler was used as intended and those looking for a quarry would be pressed into a quarry or "other" mass mining device. I don't get the impression that mod authors care to make something configurable, if they specifically don't want it used for that purpose.

For instance, why isn't there a configuration to have iron furnaces spit out UU matter at a rate of 100pc per tick? I'm sure there is SOMEONE that would want such functionality. Yes, its extreme, but it makes the point. Configurability is great and all, except when you request configurations have block do things the authors don't want done.

Coin as stated above, or magnet mode for that matter in the utility mode would likely still allow you to pick items up...

BananaSplit2

Jul 29, 2019
That's not a bug, it is intended, this is both to nerf the usage of filler to mine and to avoid massive amount of lag that it does.

SeniLiX

Jul 29, 2019

The feature was removed because it caused a massive amount of entities and block updates which killed servers. Why would you want something like this?

343N

Jul 29, 2019
The feature was removed because it caused a massive amount of entities and block updates which killed servers. Why would you want something like this?
Yeah I completely forgot bout that.
Configurability in general is a good thing though