Isn't an MFR tree farm really just a solar panel?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure about TC4, but in TC3, Im positive Ill have an MFR farm up before you get golems researched. ;) Did golems get the ability to cut down trees ?

Lumberjacks were added in TC4. However, they only chop the trees down. You still need something (Gather golems) to collect the stuff and something (Use golems) to re-plant the saplings.

In terms of balance, yes, you can do every other form of tree farm *well* before you have all of the tree farm golems researched and built, assuming you put the same time researching and doing other stuff with TC4 as you do mining and other stuff with the other tree farm mods. The only tree farm mod that would have taken longer to get to the maintenance-free state was SC2 Galgadorian, but I did those my last world. Those were neat, yes, but I wanted to try something new/different for me.

The reason I like them is they fit in my world. I'm trying to keep the visible parts of my base as low-tech as possible. I also sometimes just like watching them do their work. Tree grows, Lumberjack chops it, Gather gathers it, and Use re-plants the sapling. It's neat watching them in action.

I had never done a pure golem tree farm before and I probably won't do the same thing the next world. I'm not in a competition to make the most unique/wild/crazy power source. I do what I find interesting and that's good enough for me.

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019

Sounds like someone needs to take his number-crunching, omg-I-must-have-moar-efficiency hat off and put his creative, gee-isn't-this-fun hat on....

have you ever tried antimatter to fulmination generators? Piezoelectric plates with an animal farm? Any number of interesting liquids into any number of different generators (boilers, force engines, compression\magmatic dynamos to name a few)? Fission Reactors? Fusion reactors? - to name a few. There are a huge number of power generation methods in both FTB and RR that I seriously doubt you've built anywhere close to all of them unless you've sunk literally thousands upon thousands of hours of playtime. Go try a few of the more esoteric power generation methods - trust me, some of them are very fun to mess around with :)

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like someone needs to take his number-crunching, omg-I-must-have-moar-efficiency hat off and put his creative, gee-isn't-this-fun hat on....

have you ever tried antimatter to fulmination generators? Piezoelectric plates with an animal farm? Any number of interesting liquids into any number of different generators (boilers, force engines, compression\magmatic dynamos to name a few)? Fission Reactors? Fusion reactors? - to name a few. There are a huge number of power generation methods in both FTB and RR that I seriously doubt you've built anywhere close to all of them unless you've sunk literally thousands upon thousands of hours of playtime. Go try a few of the more esoteric power generation methods - trust me, some of them are very fun to mess around with :)

Good job missing the same point KirinDave missed.

You assume that since I'm not using my creativity to build complex power systems that I've already built multiple times before that I'm not being creative at all. Stop doing that. This isn't Modded PowerGenCraft. There is more to modded minecraft than power generation.

You're also trying to portray me as a number-cruncher constantly seeking efficiency---when in fact my entire point about MFR is that you don't have to do that at all. It is cheap and easy to produce more than you'll ever need of just about anything MFR produces. When I can make 16,000 logs overnight with a tree farm I don't spend my time trying to make it more efficient. I plug in DSUs and/or void pipes so I don't have to worry about excess and go back to what my real project is, the project I need the wood for in the first place.

I guess next you'll tell me that an architect isn't creative because he didn't hand-wind the coils in the engine driving a tablesaw used to build parts of a house he designed. He isn't creative because his crew used electricity for their tools intead of building a complex system of treadmills and belts powered by their children.

Just as in real life, people have limited time. If they choose to spend their time and creativity in modded minecraft on things other than power generation why is that a problem for you? For many of us power is just a tool. We want to use that tool to build other things, not continually reinvent the tool itself.

Last edited:

Trunks9809

Jul 29, 2019
You assume that since I'm not using my creativity to build complex power systems that I've already built multiple times before that I'm not being creative at all. Stop doing that.
Why would you not extend your creativity to cover the whole build? Personally I'd hate to show off my awesome creative base and then go "And over here is treefarm number 19387239857 powering it all..." instead of "And over here is my blazing prometheum factory powering the whole thing"

This isn't Modded PowerGenCraft. There is more to modded minecraft than power generation.

Really? And just what are you building that you don't need power for? Power is a fundamental part of modded minecraft the way its presented in FTB, Technic and RR.

You're also trying to portray me as a number-cruncher constantly seeking efficiency---when in fact my entire point about MFR is that you don't have to do that at all. It is cheap and easy to produce more than you'll ever need of just about anything MFR produces. When I can make 16,000 logs overnight with a tree farm I don't spend my time trying to make it more efficient. I plug in DSUs and/or void pipes so I don't have to worry about excess and go back to what my real project is, the project I need the wood for in the first place.

Your point appeared to be "Why would I build another power generation system when an MFR treefarm is so uber". That says to me you care more about efficiency and getting huge numbers than anything else /shrug

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Why would you not extend your creativity to cover the whole build? Personally I'd hate to show off my awesome creative base and then go "And over here is treefarm number 19387239857 powering it all..." instead of "And over here is my blazing prometheum factory powering the whole thing"
Because I have neither unlimited creativity nor unlimited time.

I don't show off awesome creative bases because I don't make awesome creative bases. I distribute my systems over multiple sites/dimensions so I don't get 5 FPS while standing at my crafting table of choice.

Everybody on our server seemed impressed by the self-contained/powered UHSP factory that was turning out a panel every 30 minutes. The power generation portion of that project was good old boring solar. They didn't seem to care.

Really? And just what are you building that you don't need power for? Power is a fundamental part of modded minecraft the way its presented in FTB, Technic and RR.
You don't seem to understand what "more" means. When I say there is more to modded minecraft than power generation it doesn't mean you don't need power. It means that power isn't the only thing in the entire game. sigh.

Your point appeared to be "Why would I build another power generation system when an MFR treefarm is so uber". That says to me you care more about efficiency and getting huge numbers than anything else /shrug

You're very confused. I had two points. I'l reiterate them for the umpteenth time:

Point #1: There are people who aren't interested in spending their limited time/creativity on reinventing power generation systems, particularly not if they've already done a lot of that. Instead of giving them shit for liking nice, compact, relatively low FPS lag solar for endgame power, take a look at what they do with that power.

Point #2: Most of what MFR does it does easier and cheaper than the other major tech mods.

I'm not judging people. I'm not telling people what they should or should not build. Instead I'm telling you why other people have other priorities and that when their priorities aren't in line with yours it doesn't explicitly mean they lack creativity.

At this point I'm kind of scratching my head about people having issues with either of those two points. I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree with anybody who thinks MFR is a lot more expensive, a lot harder than other tech mods and I'll have to agree to disagree with people who think that if you spend your time and creativity on anything other than power generation that you're not creative at all.

/smh - bailout.gif - ad nauseum

Last edited:

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but are you cooking them with power generated by an MFR tree farm or an IC2 solar? (that almost went OT, whew!)
(threads have a topic? crap! what have I been doing with my life? umm... answer, answer...)

I prefer powering it with the blood of the fallen and tears of their lamenting women. That's a power source, right?

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
i'm thinking about power from villager children via piezos, and then power from the meat of the villagers once they grow up (i think that still works).

my wife hates it when i play minecraft, says i get weird.