Is there an updated AE1-like mod?

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
Although some of the changes from AE1 to AE2 can be disabled or configured using external tools (recipe changes, channels), some of them cannot be (Autocrafting, for instance.)

So: Is there an updated (i.e. 1.7.10) AE1-like mod, or series of mods that work together nicely? For instance, is there an AE1-style autocrafting mod that works well with AE2's item storage and access?

I normally use logistics pipes, however, the lag from LP gets excessive when you start getting together a reasonable autocrafting network. It's unfortunate, because I adore logistics pipes.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand how you can prefer LP autocrafting over AE2's (and I am not a fan of AE2)...
I never really messed with LP autocrafting much, but that's because I thought it could only craft 1 item, correct me if I am wrong

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand how you can prefer LP autocrafting over AE2's (and I am not a fan of AE2)...
I never really messed with LP autocrafting much, but that's because I thought it could only craft 1 item, correct me if I am wrong
LP Autocrafting only crafts (i.e. on demand) one item (or occasionally a range of related items (i.e. all wool types)) per block, yes, although there are exceptions. That's part of the reason why I like it. It actually requires thought and space (especially for things that cannot be made in a crafting table.)

Unfortunately, my computer doesn't like it as much. Putting it in a different dimension mitigates it to a certain extent, but not entirely.
Is that a no as in not to the best of your knowledge, but you haven't looked specifically, a no as in not to the best of your knowledge, and you have looked specifically, a no as in you've checked every mod in existence for 1.7.10 and know that none of them do this, or a no as in you don't want there to be a mod that does this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Celestialphoenix

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
LP Autocrafting only crafts (i.e. on demand) one item (or occasionally a range of related items (i.e. all wool types)) per block, yes, although there are exceptions. That's part of the reason why I like it. It actually requires thought and space (especially for things that cannot be made in a crafting table.)

Unfortunately, my computer doesn't like it as much. Putting it in a different dimension mitigates it to a certain extent, but not entirely.

Is that a no as in not to the best of your knowledge, but you haven't looked specifically, a no as in not to the best of your knowledge, and you have looked specifically, a no as in you've checked every mod in existence for 1.7.10 and know that none of them do this, or a no as in you don't want there to be a mod that does this?
So if LP only crafts one at a time, then it is similar to AE2's, as that can only do one at a time IIRC.

And I believe it'd have been a no to the former, but is probably to the latter too, as AE was complex, but wasn't open source, and Algorithm probably hasn't let his new AE2 devs have access to the old AE1 code (and if he has, it's probably been asked that they don't replicate it)

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Is that a no as in not to the best of your knowledge, a no as in you've checked every mod in existence for 1.7.10 and know that none of them do this, or a no as in you don't want there to be a mod that does this?
That is a pretty tough standard of truth to meet; I think it's safe to assume that "to the best of my knowledge" is implicit in any response you get.
To the matter at hand, I'm unaware of a mod that duplicates AE1's autocrafting and whatnot. However, in a world where ProjectRed and Bluepower exist, I'm sure a straight rip off will come out eventually. That said, have you actually tried AE2? I was pretty skeptical, and I'm still not down with the meteor RNG nonsense, but once I disabled that, and was forced to try it (since, you know, I have no choice :p), I actually prefer it to AE1.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
That is a pretty tough standard of truth to meet; I think it's safe to assume that "to the best of my knowledge" is implicit in any response you get.
To the matter at hand, I'm unaware of a mod that duplicates AE1's autocrafting and whatnot. However, in a world where ProjectRed and Bluepower exist, I'm sure a straight rip off will come out eventually. That said, have you actually tried AE2? I was pretty skeptical, and I'm still not down with the meteor RNG nonsense, but once I disabled that, and was forced to try it (since, you know, I have no choice :p), I actually prefer it to AE1.
I agree, if you have all the presses, and enough skystone (which wouldn't annoy me if it broke like stone, not obsidian, when mined with a diamond pick) then it can be fun... apart from the calculation processors needing pure-crystals, which is very cry worthy

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
I agree, if you have all the presses, and enough skystone (which wouldn't annoy me if it broke like stone, not obsidian, when mined with a diamond pick) then it can be fun... apart from the calculation processors needing pure-crystals, which is very cry worthy
Well, you could Minetweak the recipes for the presses (and controller/whatever for skystone). I can't be bothered, so I just pretend I'm playing on a server and delete 4 blocks of iron and cheat in the presses and a stack of skystone. I'm actually fine with the pure crystals, since it effectively doubles your normal crystals, but I'll concede it's a PITA until you get it automated.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
So if LP only crafts one at a time, then it is similar to AE2's, as that can only do one at a time IIRC.
Yep. One recipe per block. (Actually generally 1 recipe per two blocks - pipe and table.) At which point I may as well stick with LP.

Hence me asking if there's anything like AE1's system out there.

And I believe it'd have been a no to the former, but is probably to the latter too, as AE was complex, but wasn't open source, and Algorithm probably hasn't let his new AE2 devs have access to the old AE1 code (and if he has, it's probably been asked that they don't replicate it)
I figured no-one would do a straight port, which is unfortunate but expected. However, looking at AE2's API, it should be possible to make your own. I was wondering if anyone had.

Ok. It's just that one person's "to the best of my knowledge" isn't the same as another's. (For example: someone who has put in a lot of time making modpacks). And I have no idea where on the spectrum you lie.

To the matter at hand, I'm unaware of a mod that duplicates AE1's autocrafting and whatnot.
That's unfortunate.

However, in a world where ProjectRed and Bluepower exist, I'm sure a straight rip off will come out eventually.
I hope. Although, the only part that actually needs reimplementing is the autocrafter, I believe.

That said, have you actually tried AE2? I was pretty skeptical, and I'm still not down with the meteor RNG nonsense, but once I disabled that, and was forced to try it (since, you know, I have no choice :p), I actually prefer it to AE1.
Yes, I have. And I found it tedious and grindy (not to mention RNG-dependant). Not difficult, not complex, just tedious.

And yes, you do indeed have a choice. Namely logistics pipes. (Unless you're playing on a server with no mod input... In which case I question why you are on said server. But that's another matter.)

No, it's not fun. Not for me at least. LP is fun. AE1 was fun, most of the time. AE2, for me at least (as usual, for subjective things such as this I can only speak for myself) is just tedious.

Well, you could Minetweak the recipes for the presses (and controller/whatever for skystone).
As I said, most of the changes of AE2 can be tweaked away. Unfortunately, the autocrafter cannot be.

The thing is this: In an ideal world, I'd stay away from AE and just use Logistics Pipes. However, that starts causing lag issues when I get larger networks. In particular, from the absurd banks of autocrafters. So... I'm looking for an alternative autocrafting system that doesn't require absurd numbers of tile entities / etc. AE1 fit the bill. Unfortunately, AE1 was replaced by AE2, which doesn't.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
AE2 is great fun. I dont see anything wrong with the autocrafting. You need to learn to suck it up.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
AE2 is great fun. I dont see anything wrong with the autocrafting. You need to learn to suck it up.

I agree with this. I actually think AE2 auto crafting is easier to get started with. It takes a lot less resources to get started and can be expanded almost infinitely. The most basic setup with one interface and molecular assembler is much easier to make and get running than the old system. I was definitely skeptical of the AE2 changes when it first came out, but I have grown to appreciate it and now realize it is so much more powerful than AE1.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah each interface touching the assembler can store a bunch of recipes, if its not enough just add another interface. Its very easy to compress a complicated autocrafting setup into a small footprint.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah each interface touching the assembler can store a bunch of recipes, if its not enough just add another interface. Its very easy to compress a complicated autocrafting setup into a small footprint.
Well, the footprint actually scales poorly compared to AE1. It starts off great, but you're looking at 54 recipes (9 per interface x 6 sides per assembler) in a 3x3x3 cube. As you get later in the game, multiple clusters are going to be pretty large.

Personally, I'm fine with that. It actually interesting to expand it, as opposed to the "build a giant magic multiblock and throw patterns in it" mindset that was AE1.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
AE2 is great fun. I dont see anything wrong with the autocrafting.
As last time I checked I am not you, this is irrelevant to me.

I agree with this. I actually think AE2 auto crafting is easier to get started with. It takes a lot less resources to get started and can be expanded almost infinitely. The most basic setup with one interface and molecular assembler is much easier to make and get running than the old system. I was definitely skeptical of the AE2 changes when it first came out, but I have grown to appreciate it and now realize it is so much more powerful than AE1.
See above.
Well, the footprint actually scales poorly compared to AE1. It starts off great, but you're looking at 54 recipes (9 per interface x 6 sides per assembler) in a 3x3x3 cube. As you get later in the game, multiple clusters are going to be pretty large.

I am not talking about the resource costs, I am talking about the processing power issues. Namely that absurd numbers of tile entities lag the game for me, badly.

Again: I like the recipe / block autocrafting in general. Although I dislike AE2, this is not one of the reasons why I dislike it. But it kills my laptop due to the number of tile entities required. Hence why I'm looking for an AE1-style autocrafter.

Reactions: Wraithflay

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
well unfortunately i think you're only option is coding an alternative yourself, i spend an honestly absurd amount of time here, on the FTB subreddit and Curseforge looking at mods and I have yet to see anything that does what you are looking for

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I don't think anyone has made even an unstable AE port. And no one seems to be clever enough to code a copy cat for 1.7.10.

You are shit out of luck bro.

I only did a Google search of classic applied energistics 1.7.10 port and AE1, and it yielded only AE2 results unfortunately (for you, not me. I don't mind the more nuanced AE2. meteors are a pain in the dick though, not that they are hard to find but finding your 20th logic press in the 20th meteor is just tremendously annoying).

All you can do now is audaciously and vainly ask AlgorithimX to port classic AE over, or the less dickish option, code your own mod.
You can also just wait (possibly a long time) for someone to code one, frequently asking people obnoxiously if someone has made one.

Arminius

Jul 29, 2019
I might have misunderstood you, but to me it sounds like what you need isn't the AE1 autocrafter, it's an ME interface that can store more patterns than the current one does. That's still not something that exists to my knowledge, but at least it's far easier to implement than a complete port of AE1. It would even be reasonable to suggest something like that on the AE2 issue tracker, especially if you explain your reasoning (i.e. lag from too many tile entities).

If the devs don't want to implement something like that, at least that's something you could realistically make yourself (or find someone to do it).

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I might have misunderstood you, but to me it sounds like what you need isn't the AE1 autocrafter, it's an ME interface that can store more patterns than the current one does. That's still not something that exists to my knowledge, but at least it's far easier to implement than a complete port of AE1. It would even be reasonable to suggest something like that on the AE2 issue tracker, especially if you explain your reasoning (i.e. lag from too many tile entities).

If the devs don't want to implement something like that, at least that's something you could realistically make yourself (or find someone to do it).
Actually, now you put it like that, I have thought of a way to actually get autocrafting to technically be done in the space of a few blocks...
What you need:
1 ME system
1 ME interface
1 Steve's Factory Manager manager block thing
1 chest
1 ME import bus
a few ME cables

Now, I don't know if this will work, as I have little experience with SFM as I don't like it.
But you have the ME interface against the manager, have the manager do all your crafting, and then export to the chest, which you have your import bus on, importing all recipes into the system... and keeping a constant minimum of 1...

Thinking about it, this probably won't work as it seems too easy. But you can probably find a way to do this :)

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
Two problems with that route.

First, you'll need one of everything you autocraft as a buffer. That gets expensive.

Secondly, it won't show if you're missing something, or, if you are, what you're missing.

But it's a good idea none-the-less.

That and a better crafting speed.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Well I guess it wouldn't be impossible to do the same, but instead of using AE, use Log. Pipes. That way you are doing your auto-crafting as you do now, but instead of only 1 craftable per block, it's a lot more.