Is there a reason to put water in a multitank/xycraft tank?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Xariez

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone! I've started to play FTB and i love it, i am in the Direwolf20 pack at the moment.
The title pretty much says it all, is there actually a reason to put water in a multi/xy-craft tank? And other from that theres lava that u can convert to EU aswell i believe?
Is there anything else u can do with them though? :)

X

Oatmonster

Jul 29, 2019
Xycraft/Iron tanks can hold any fluid registered in the liquid registry. This includes, but is not limited to, oil, fuel, biomass, liquid honey, milk, molten glowstone, and steam. There is no practical reason to store water in a tank. You can obviously use it for aesthetics though. If you want a water supply, a Thermal Expansion Aqueous Accumulator or two will supply more than enough water for your needs, for free.

Phantom27

Jul 29, 2019
Xycraft/Iron tanks can hold any fluid registered in the liquid registry. This includes, but is not limited to, oil, fuel, biomass, liquid honey, milk, molten glowstone, and steam. There is no practical reason to store water in a tank. You can obviously use it for aesthetics though. If you want a water supply, a Thermal Expansion Aqueous Accumulator or two will supply more than enough water for your needs, for free.

Actually not always. If for example you have a large array of engines that need to be kept cool, just one Aqueous Accumulator cannot supply water fast enough. In such cases, instead of having multiple Aqueous Accumulators, I find that it's easier to have a XYtank with several valves, all being supplied water from XYwater blocks, which I can transport to my engines using Liquid Tesseracts.

This of course isn't a real "need" for water tanks, rather more of a convenience thing in order to avoid clutter. But it's definitely possible to have them for more than aesthetic reasons.

Reactions: EternalDensity

Xariez

Jul 29, 2019
I know that u can connect water tanks, to a steam boiler, which will go into another tank wihch will lead into a converter which will give you energy, (EU i believe), but there isnt that in direwolf20 what i know of.

So what ur guys saying is, if i want alot of water i can do that way, but in the ways of getting energy it is not worth it?

Also, what would good ways be of getting EU power fast, andw ould there be a way to be able to charge EU stuff remotely?

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Actually not always. If for example you have a large array of engines that need to be kept cool, just one Aqueous Accumulator cannot supply water fast enough. In such cases, instead of having multiple Aqueous Accumulators, I find that it's easier to have a XYtank with several valves, all being supplied water from XYwater blocks, which I can transport to my engines using Liquid Tesseracts.

This of course isn't a real "need" for water tanks, rather more of a convenience thing in order to avoid clutter. But it's definitely possible to have them for more than aesthetic reasons.

I agree with this. If a person thinks only on a small scale, aqueous accumulators can cover a lot of jobs. There may be times, however, when you'll want access to water in a larger volume or a faster rate than accumulators can provide. Since tanks (and specifically xycraft tanks) are so cheap to make and water is free, I'd say there's no real reason NOT to have a water tank tucked away somewhere.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Um, this is what I use water in a tank for =)

40 combustion engines running 8 magma crucibles.

Sdkh49a.jpg

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
When I was making overclockers, I got bored of clicking and made a xytank with 10 water blocks to fill the cans. It was worth it; so much faster than clicking for minutes.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, filling water cells quickly is a practical use for a water tank. I've also used one to automatically fill buckets for use in water mills in the nether, when I didn't have enough UU-matter to use it to make water source blocks.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Overclockers.

If only those bloody coolant cells stacked, or a different ingredient was used.
Crafting the things with the reactor componants (ie unstackable) is the absolute worst part of making a Gravisuit -
AE makes it less painful however, but in any pack versions that I have had AE I ALS had powersuits, so I use that instead of Gravi, even ignoring price.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
I use several accumulators attached to a liquiduct plumbing system, and have a liquid transposer stuck on the liquiducts with a ME interface for crafted water needs.Haven't seen the need for a tank just yet. My steam boilers each get a dedicated accumulator because they are easy enough to craft and I don't want some other machine drawing off all my water and causing an explosion. That almost happened to me once- happy I caught it in time to fix it.

SeniLiX

Jul 29, 2019
Having a large water tank hooked up to a boiler or combustion engine, will function as a buffer if something goes wrong. It allows you to keep an eye on potential problems.
If the tank is not full, something is wrong.
(Kinda like the water gauge(s) on some real life steam locomotives)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Automating a GregTech industrial grinder:

You need to supply water cells to the grinder along with the ore. Filling those water cells in a Deployer-less age isn't technically an issue but most replacement methods require power (liquid transposer, electric craftingtable etc). Not so the big railcraft tanks: just pump in empty cells and they'll automatically be filled.

In my world I have set up an AE system that knows all the important industrial grinder recipes, and I have three railcraft tanks - one with water, one with sodium persulfate, and one with mercury. Whenever an ore arrives that needs to be processed, the AE system automatically inserts an empty cell into the appropriate tank via a ME interface with an external crafting pattern, thus creating the proper cell, which it then imports back into the system to supply the grinder. For example, copper will be processed with persulfate, gold with mercury, and iron with water.

Since that generally doesn't require nearly as much water as the single accumulator feeding the tank generates, the tank is also supplying other things with intermittent water needs, such as one of my three carpenters (the other two are running on seed oil and honey, respectively) and, in the future, the backup fermenter (the main one will run on juice).

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019

How much biofuel are you using on them? How is your biofuel setup? Im trying to find the golden way to infinite fuel but are lucky right now to find huge oil wells.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Automating a GregTech industrial grinder:
You need to supply water cells to the grinder along with the ore. Filling those water cells in a Deployer-less age isn't technically an issue but most replacement methods require power (liquid transposer, electric craftingtable etc). Not so the big railcraft tanks: just pump in empty cells and they'll automatically be filled.
You can pipe the water in. You can't do that for the other liquids it can use, though.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Well yes, but if you pump the water in, it will probably block the grinder from being used for the other types. And even though I have multiple grinders, I prefer to have them all available for all types - while I can't process one ore type in more than one grinder in parallel due to AE's limitations, I can for example process iron in one and coal in another, both requiring water. Or gold in one and silver in another, both requiring mercury.

That is the main reason I just went with the cell method for all three types. And then there's the fact that the tanks are on the other side of my facility :p

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
One reason to have water in a Multitank is if you want to autocraft a recipe that uses water buckets with a Fabricator like coolant cells but you could use Liquicrafter for those instead although even that would benefit from using the Multitank. Other options for that are slower and more difficult to set up. Even one Xychorium water is faster at producing water than one Aqueous Accumulator and you can have as many of them on a tank as you have valves. And the way how Fabricator uses the water buckets is putting an Item IO in a wall in the tank and have the Fabricator next to that and put a bucket in the tank.

crumpitboy

Jul 29, 2019
How much biofuel are you using on them? How is your biofuel setup? Im trying to find the golden way to infinite fuel but are lucky right now to find huge oil wells.
i've used magma crucibles melting netherrack into lava into combustion engines back before magmatics and that worked very well, i imagine that into magmatics would work nicely too

Xariez

Jul 29, 2019
Oh this got much larger than i thought it would, anyway, alot of awesome answers popping up which i really like, i found 2 which really catched my eye though..
Also i got another question, from a valve on a tank (Going to have a water and lava it seems like) what pipes should i run? Thanks! :)

I agree with this. If a person thinks only on a small scale, aqueous accumulators can cover a lot of jobs. There may be times, however, when you'll want access to water in a larger volume or a faster rate than accumulators can provide. Since tanks (and specifically xycraft tanks) are so cheap to make and water is free, I'd say there's no real reason NOT to have a water tank tucked away somewhere.

Oh yeah, i didn't think of this, thanks for telling me it! :D

Sdkh49a.jpg

Oh, well i think im gonna be making this one, so could i run magma crucibles with those crucibles, which will produce lava to another tank which i can direct to a MFE? Would that work?
Also, what pipes should i use for that to work?