Is there a better all-in-one tool than enchanted diamond pick?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

In the beta 1.4.2 pack an enchanted diamond pick with efficiency 4 on would basically mine/cut/chop through anything like a hot knife through butter and I really liked it. However in the latest DW20 1.4.7 pack it has noticeably been nerfed and takes a lot longer to mine wood, gravel and dirt. I'm not sure if this is intended or a bug, but I guess what I'm asking is, is there a better all-in-one tool in DW20 pack that will work like the beta pack pick does? I realise that the mining laser is the obvious answer, but I want something that doesn't require regular recharging nor needing to equip a back pack.

Thanks.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
The jack hammer is a beast on normal stone, but it is voluntarily slow on the ores and non-pick elements.

As far as I know, there are no "all around" yet in the pack, but you can make the diamond drill (sadly, you can't make the advanced diamond drill) and the chainsaw, and that should take care of everything. (pick, shovel, axe and shears)

I also read that you could enchant them at the anvils with books, but don't quote me on that.

The theory would say that thaumcraft wand of excavation could do what you want, but that's not exactly as fast, and will break if overused. Well, the diamond pick could also break quite fast if used on dirt and wood, so...

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
Since you mentioned mining laser, it requires charging extraordinarily rarely if you only use it on low focus mode. It uses more per-block than the drills, but it has a much larger internal storage as well. It will last for 2k shots, by comparison an un-enchanted diamond pick lasts for ~1500 blocks.

People tend to think of the laser as running out fast, but that is because we tend to use it on higher draw modes, and very very quickly. On low focus though it makes a fantastic tool. Plus, you never accidentally destroy 2 blocks because you held down the button a half second too long.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Wand of excavation FTW. I never leave home without one. And you can enchant them. :)

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Wand of excavation FTW. I never leave home without one. And you can enchant them. :)
I'll admit I recently got an xp farm a d went a little .... nuts. My 3 main wands (excavation, trade and lightning) have charging, potency and treasure (where applicable) maxed. I also made a diamond sword with sharpness, looting, soul stealer and repair (although that doesn't work on anything other than thaumium). You can also enchant quantum suits, drills and chainsaws.

MavericK96

Jul 29, 2019
If you want something that mines the absolute fastest through ANYTHING....Varja. Requires a lot of power, though, but no issue if you have Ultimate Solar Helmet + GraviChestPlate.

However, I often find it's too sensitive and also carry a Diamond Drill.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Just tried these in my test world. Pick of the core doesn't seem to do anything useful except flash up symbols and mines stone at the speed of a normal unenchanted diamond pick and ultra slow on anything else. Wand of excavation is also slow in comparison to an efficiency diamond pick. Can't find anything in NEI called a jack hammer. Drill & chainsaw is 2 items so that's a no go. Mining laser seems like the "best" replacement when used in low focus mode, but I really don't like how the laser sets a % of flammable blocks on fire when mining them.

Any other suggestions to try? What I need is the red morning star from EE2! :)

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
If you want something that mines the absolute fastest through ANYTHING....Varja. Requires a lot of power, though, but no issue if you have Ultimate Solar Helmet + GraviChestPlate.

However, I often find it's too sensitive and also carry a Diamond Drill.

Now that is fast! But.. it uses 3333 EU per block and empties it's 1m storage in no time at all, plus as you say it's very sensitive and it's hard to mine a single block with it.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
I thought I would mention that the speed nerf is a vanilla feature. Pickaxes are meant to chop stone and ores, so that's what it mines the quickest, it doesn't chop trees so it's slower. It was done so that you would use the other tools and not just an enchanted diamond pickaxe.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Now that is fast! But.. it uses 3333 EU per block and empties it's 1m storage in no time at all, plus as you say it's very sensitive and it's hard to mine a single block with it.
You really need to know what you want...

Two tools is too much, wand of excavation is too slow, varja is too fast...

A question for you: What is the main reason why you only want one single tool to do everything?
Please, don't answer by saying it is to preserve inventory, with all the backpacks and bags at your disposal.