Is the website going to do a better job if supporting the mod authors

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Malcor5

Jul 29, 2019
At least a good a job as the technic website. I still find myself going to it because of the links to all the mods.

FTB needs website that links to the different mod developers websites, making it easier to find out about them.

I just find it weird that It has better support for finding out about the different mods then developer supported option.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
There's a placeholder on the Feed the Beast homepage already. Doesn't seem to work, but at least it's on the to-do list. They're also working on an official FTB wiki.

Malcor5

Jul 29, 2019
The point is that technic dose a better of bring that info in to one place. It's hard for some one who has no idea witch mod adds x thing to find info about how it works. People complain about technic but it is doing a much better job of pointing out the mods in the pack and where to find support. If I go there I know all the mods and have direct likes to each of there support sites/wikis.

I am just wondering when they will do a better job then tecknic. FTB is as a mod pack, it just needs better support for mod info.

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
  1. Like Pinkshu said, Google is your friend.
  2. Remember FTB is fairly new. Be patient and wait.
  3. FTB did obtain permission from the mod creators to use their mods so I'm sure they will set something up.

When? I hereby quote captainnana:

captainnana said:
Q. ETA of Final Release.
A. Sometime between now and 15th May 3127

Patience is a virtue.

Freightrain

Jul 29, 2019
Running off QueWhat's point two, the FTB website is still new, and still not 100% complete. But the mod pack isn't technically complete either, no pun intended. I myself would rather have them working on finishing the mod pack first. Then again, I've been looking up stuff for some time now and know where to look. There's at least a couple threads on the forums that are hanging around with links to information pages on the mods, if I'm not mistaken.

So they will "do a better job" when they release the mod pack, perhaps? That's both my thinking, and my preference.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
also keep in mind that they are currently working on the wiki for FTB, and the wiki may contain all the information that you are seeking

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
The point is that technic dose a better of bring that info in to one place. It's hard for some one who has no idea witch mod adds x thing to find info about how it works. People complain about technic but it is doing a much better job of pointing out the mods in the pack and where to find support. If I go there I know all the mods and have direct likes to each of there support sites/wikis.

I am just wondering when they will do a better job then tecknic. FTB is as a mod pack, it just needs better support for mod info.
Work in progress means work in progress.
If you wanted to cut all ties with Technic, I suggest that you bookmark the wikis/websites you're looking for.

grindle2000

Jul 29, 2019
Really how hard is it to use Google to find which mod a certain item comes from, all i usually do is a Google search for "Minecraft and then the item i am hunting for".

If a person can't be bothered to take the 5 mins it takes to look something up , why should the web site do it for you.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
If you can't be bothered to load mods into your minecraft why should the mod pack do it for you.
Because someone, somewhere wanted to do something kind for others. Then people complained it wasn't perfect. Such is life, and happy December!

trondaron

Jul 29, 2019
<post deleted by author>

edit: Happy December Ashzification and FTB community.
delete edit: This post seemed ungratefulness for the FTB group's work. That is not my intention.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
The FTB wiki is being worked on, remember, these things take time and this is still a fairly new mod pack, so a bit of patience is required.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
The issue is that with all the mods combined in a pack, how is someone unfamiliar with the individual mods supposed to google/search for information. They can of course type the name of a specific item, or maybe start at a specific mod's wiki and work from there, but that results in a fractured and non-cohesive experience.

By checking the mod list in the launcher, on the forums, or on the website, users can find information on all of the mods with a simple google search. Most results will direct them to the Minecraft forums forum thread for that mod. The only way to gain information is to look for it and to attempt to understand. Learning is a process, not a destination.

My main complaint is that the pack/launcher experience is faulty without a supporting information source. The pack is in Beta, great. Where is the beta wiki?
It's being worked on. To gain information about FTB you need to look for it. A wiki team has been selected and is working with Tahg on getting a complete wiki created.

I don't intend to start flames be overly negative, I just dislike seeing requests like this thread being met with defensiveness and negativity. I think the proper response of the elite/knowledgeable community should be 'Yes, the wiki is missing/lacking. What info are you looking for and we will help you.'</rant>
All of FTB, the website, the launcher, the actual mod pack, the groups working on all of this, is a work in progress. A complaint about a work in progress will be met with the response of "It is a work in progress". Further complaints will be met with the same response. If someone is in need of help, they ask for it. Those of us providing help, provide it.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Because someone, somewhere wanted to do something kind for others. Then people complained it wasn't perfect. Such is life, and happy December!
It's not perfect? That's it, I quit!!!
[sarcasm for the sarcasm impaired :) ]

You're right of course, and I don't intend to sound ungrateful for the work of the FTB team. I was overly bothered by the negativity toward OP and his (imo) valid complaint.

To expand on my view, I was also frustrated by having to piece together information from various sites/wikis. Admittedly not that difficult, but once I'd gone and done that I opted to create my own pack with most FTB plus a few others using MultiMC. My feeling is that the purpose of the pack/launcher is to make modded minecraft more accessible to the 'dumb' user. The issue is that with all the mods combined in a pack, how is someone unfamiliar with the individual mods supposed to google/search for information. They can of course type the name of a specific item, or maybe start at a specific mod's wiki and work from there, but that results in a fractured and non-cohesive experience.

My main complaint is that the pack/launcher experience is faulty without a supporting information source. The pack is in Beta, great. Where is the beta wiki?

I don't intend to start flames be overly negative, I just dislike seeing requests like this thread being met with defensiveness and negativity. I think the proper response of the elite/knowledgeable community should be 'Yes, the wiki is missing/lacking. What info are you looking for and we will help you.'</rant>

edit: Happy December Ashzification and FTB community.

Google, then create a folder in your favorites for "mods" or whatever you want to call it and add all the sites there one at a time- then you don't have to google anymore.

My only .. I guess complaint- though that's way too strong of a word- would be some of the mods don't have a lot of info about how to use them (for example the forcefield one). Hopefully when the FTB wiki comes out there will be more info available there!

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
It's not perfect? That's it, I quit!!!
[sarcasm for the sarcasm impaired :) ]

Google, then create a folder in your favorites for "mods" or whatever you want to call it and add all the sites there one at a time- then you don't have to google anymore.

My only .. I guess complaint- though that's way too strong of a word- would be some of the mods don't have a lot of info about how to use them (for example the forcefield one). Hopefully when the FTB wiki comes out there will be more info available there!
You can find info on all of the industrial craft addons through the industrial craft forums ;)