Is the quartz knife supposed to be consumed when you use it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

tyler f

Jul 29, 2019
I swear I read somewhere that it wasn't supposed to be destroyed when you use it in a recipe

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
It works like the handsaw from RP, it takes damage every time you craft with, but it should last many crafts.

I haven't done a whole lot of crafting with it yet, but the few things I have crafted haven't significantly impacted the duration so far (basically it has a green bar, but it is still completely full as far as I can tell).

tyler f

Jul 29, 2019
When I craft with it, it's being consumed completely. Any clue what would cause this? I have only crafted the two kinds of processors with it.

I should note that I have added the mod into the mindcrack pack, so that could be influencing it.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
That didn't happen to me. I made around a dozen processors that way with one before I realised that I should use the assembly table instead, and my knife still has durability. How did you install? Did you take the files from another ftb pack or the mod website?

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Where does this happen (normal crafting table, ACT, project table, pocket crafting table, minium stone crafting, ACT from tubestuff, ACT from MFR, craftpacket maker/stamper, arcane worktable, infusion altar, ME crafting terminal, ME molecular assembler chamber, electric crafting table)?

tyler f

Jul 29, 2019
It happens at the vanilla table and buildcraft ac table. Didn't try any other tables. I took the mod files directly from AE's website.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Mine was in a project table, but it's new sitting unused in a chest because it's cheaper to make the chips in the assembly table. (Can't remember offhand, but I think it saves one Redstone per chip and I've made lots and lots of chips).

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Probably you just used all durability, I'm using AE rv9.f and knife is working without problems and allows for crafting of 201 items. If it doesn't work, try checking if you don't have some weird ID conflict, by for example looking if all other items from other mods are available in NEI that should be there.

tyler f

Jul 29, 2019
Probably you just used all durability, I'm using AE rv9.f and knife is working without problems and allows for crafting of 201 items. If it doesn't work, try checking if you don't have some weird ID conflict, by for example looking if all other items from other mods are available in NEI that should be there.

used all the durability? lol. I crafted 12 chips and used 12 knives. That ratio sounds off. How can I check for item ID conflicts?

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
First, do you have any message about Item IDs in logs. Second, are all items from buildcraft (specially 4 pipe wires) present in NEI screen, I remember that BC was often overwritten in 1.4.2 and earlier with autoassign, most other mods implemented this correctly. If you don't have a lot of done with AE and your configs are based on FTB ones, you can replace config with the one from ultimate, or just put AE items in some other free space manually. You can also try and go through all the configs with some spreadsheet and check it, keep in mind that some mods include additional 256 for blocks in item ids and some don't.

tyler f

Jul 29, 2019
I messed around with the item ID's a lot and it's still just consuming the quartz cutter when I use it in a recipe. What could possibly be causing this?

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
You should try asking in the AE topic on the Minecraft forums, the author can probably help you more than anyone else here.

You can also try using the Ultimate pack, just to see if you have the same problem there.

I also don't know if AE uses Forge and if there is a version difference between Ultimate and Mindcrack, but that can cause pretty weird stuff to happen as well.

You probably want to check/try these in reverse order from how I posted them here :D First compare the Forge versions, then try it in Ultimate to if the problem persists and if those 2 fail ask on the Minecraft forums.

eculc

Jul 29, 2019
It's not a problem simply with the collection of mods in mindcrack vs ultimate. The same thing happened to quite a few people when RP2 Pre5 was released with handsaws. I believe it's a forge version issue, though I don't remember for sure.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
BC Autocrafting tables DO have the bug currently. It's even listed on the AUtocrafting Table entry in the BC Wiki. Currently, it consumes the item and it "Vanishes". The proposed solution is to have an adjacent chest with the item needed there, and then it'll properly use that item's durability instead of consuming the item that's in the crafting grid. When i tested this, it didn't work.

Never heard of it happening in vanilla crafting tables, though. Granted, i don't use Ultimate so i don't have AE, and this happened with Handsaws.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Well there is a version difference (according to my logs at least xD), Mindcrack is at .553 and Ultimate at .556, so yeah, try updating Forge ;)