Is it worth getting into Blood Magic (with Draconic Evolution)?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
I've been beating my brain since yesterday if it's even worth getting into Blood Magic; if it's worth pricking my finger (to fill up my LP Network) and killing mobs with the Sentient Sword (to get more Demonic Will) until I eventually am able to get my blood altar to Tier 3 (or 4), to set up an auto-farm to kill mobs.
At least, I'm basing this off the way dire has done it in Season 8 in his Let's Play.
The only real reason I see it (for my current needs), is the Living Armor. Even though I have a set of Empowered IV Dark Armor (fully enchanted).

On the other hand, Draconic Evolution has far more superior (yet costly) armor options than the Living Armor. Their armor uses RF instead of damage, therefore I don't have to make more armor to replace what I have (or use the Item Repairer from Actually Additions. And I feel if I got into Blood Magic first and then Draconic Evolution, the DE armor will eventually phase out the Living Armor, which leaves me to feel...what was the point of even getting into it in the first place?
I just don't know, and I feel like this is a perfect topic for discussion. If anyone can tell me if it is indeed worth getting into Blood Magic.
It's basically a question of "Why do X when Y is better and doesn't feel as grindy?"

Please, no bashing about Draconic Evolution being "too OP" in here.

Last edited:

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
It's basically a question of "Why do X when Y is better and doesn't feel as grindy?"
I would say that If you don't enjoy doing the setup enough to counter that question, then don't do it.

Having that said, there are ups and downs in any playthrough. Sometimes it's needed to push a bit to get forward, but that needs to be used with caution to prevent burnout.

fowltief

Jul 29, 2019
I've never gotten Draconian though normal playthough. i usually end up trading or just doing the massive energy storage. grinding to get teh blood and gems becomes worth as as i'm of the few who go down the blood magic path so it makes trading stuff a little easier... some people are even afraid to come to my base for few of losing their heath...

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
I know I usually do Blood Magic earlier game because it is a good time suck while waiting for other automations to bulk up so I have the resources to do other things.
Also, the sentient pickaxe then then bound pickaxe make good Draconium collectors in the end with some kind of magnet. Find a Draconium meteorite and Bound pickaxe it away, collect all the goodies.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I've not played these newfangled later versions, but in 1.7.10 Bound Armour is sexy.

Draconic Armour gives nice abilities but it looks like a weird leopardskin gimp suit, so I tend to go with Bound Armour and the extra utilities angel ring thingy for flight.

PolishPanda

Jul 29, 2019
If you have DE in the pack, it makes everything else pale in comparison - so if you're going for whatever the best option is, Draconic Armor is it. I personally prefer to avoid the mod and do stuff from other mods that may not be as powerful - if you're going for fun, do Living Armor.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I've always had a soft spot for some of the tools Blood Magic offers. Well, not so much the tools, I guess, but things like Serenade of the Nether and Teleposers have been worth the hassle to me through 1.7. I've yet to delve into the 1.10 version, but the guides @ShneekeyTheLost has put up in the Community Showcase has me eager to try my hand at it. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems a bit of the grind was lessened, which seems promising.

Reactions: ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Here's the thing... Blood Magic you can get into... pretty early in your development. Draconic Evolution? Not so much.

Bound Armor provides surprisingly good protection and is available very early game, after your first mining dive. You don't actually need to even have a Blood Altar set up for it. For your early-game protection, you'd have to look long and hard to find a better one. It repairs itself with wills, so no needing to make more, and gets even better the more wills you have. This will tide you over until you hit Living Armor.

The Bound Sword is probably one of the best swords in the game, IMO. It starts off on par with an Iron Sword, that helps you generate wills as you go about doing things. It is ridiculously early game, just an iron sword and a petty tartaric gem. And as you gain wills, it gets even better. And you can enchant it for even more fun. Currently, my Bound Sword has Mending, Looting 3, and Sharpness 5.

The Living Armor requires at least a Tier 3 altar to make, but requires Tier 4 to be able to optimize. Basically, the Living Armor is a modular system. Bound Armor actually has higher defense, and does not ever need to be repaired, but the abilities from the Living Armor make it superior in utility and mobility. Once you hit Tier 4, you unlock the ritual Sound of Cleansing which lets you micro-manage your modifiers for your living armor.

All this can be done LONG before you can get into Draconic Evolution, which frankly I consider not even worth bothering with. By the time you can start getting into DE, you've already won the game, all it does is give you a few OP toys to play around with since you've already trivialized all other challenges.

Linda Hartlen

Jul 29, 2019
I've always had a soft spot for some of the tools Blood Magic offers. Well, not so much the tools, I guess, but things like Serenade of the Nether and Teleposers have been worth the hassle to me through 1.7. I've yet to delve into the 1.10 version, but the guides @ShneekeyTheLost has put up in the Community Showcase has me eager to try my hand at it. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems a bit of the grind was lessened, which seems promising.

Agreed, I think people are focusing on weapons and armour a tad too much. Blood magic is amazing in all that it can do, the different sigils, alchemy, Teleposers!!!! I have never made the armour and blood magic is pretty much a staple of what I use these days. No need for torches, since I can make magical lights, temporary bridges across chasms, no need to worry about fuels for my Thaumcraft alchemical furnaces with the lavastone.

To just say. Draconic armour is better so therefor there is no point to Blood magic is.. well if that is all you want from a mod and you already have more materials then you will ever need.. sure.. But there is more to it than that.

Personally I find yeah draconic stuff is amazing, but you only really get access to it when you are at a point where you don't really need it anymore. Oh I can store a silly amount of RF.. well so? I have no need for it (personally) and I can really only make it when I am at the point of a world where materials no longer matter and I am getting tired of that world. For me that is :)

Reactions: Hambeau