Is it better to macerate or use fortune III?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Syba

Jul 29, 2019
It's probably a silly question. But I want to make sure because I just got back from the Twilight Forest.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't have GregTech, it's better to fortune 3 Gems, but better to pulverize nikolite and redstone

If you do have GregTech, almost everything is better to use an industrial grinder. Except for Coal. Fortune 3 is best for coal.

Macerator is never the best option.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Diamond ore is better Fortuned, if you're interested only in diamonds. Also Monazit ore (Forcicium) is best put in a Macerator, it can't be used in a Grinder.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
Most gems that can proc on fortune are best fortuned because gregtechs implosion compressor will reduce the amount you effectively gain. Personally I don't need anywhere near as many diamonds as diamond dust so fortune is just more convenient as well.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Given fortune III is reliant on chance, unless you're prepared to spend a lot of time grinding EXP and then even more EXP repairing that one lucky pick for a slightly better ore bonus?
GT rockcutter + Macerator is probable the more repeatable strategy.​
If you get lucky early on- fortune III will mean a lot less time underground you spend ages underground being awesome, but I wouldn't rely on it as a solid strategy for every world/server you play.​

You long term strategy should aim for automated manufacturing of ores instead of non-renewable mining. (Gregtech+Extra bees for the win!!)- or automated mining machines with frames/turtles- which pull up more than your efforts with fortuneIII/silktouch.

If you have a silk touch'd tool, stockpile your ores and look at your NEI recipes for the most efficient method.​
(Fortune III averages about 220-250% ore yield I think)​

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Most gems that can proc on fortune are best fortuned because gregtechs implosion compressor will reduce the amount you effectively gain. Personally I don't need anywhere near as many diamonds as diamond dust so fortune is just more convenient as well.

I'd always use the grinder on Diamond or Ruby. Other gems are more of a question. Because of Coal->Diamond, and the use of Diamond dust in some recipes - notably glass fiber cable and iridium plate, you should never convert diamond dust to whole diamonds. Rubies, at some points in the tech tree, are more useful as dusts than whole due to what they centrifuge into. Unless you do a lot less mining than I did, you should never run out of whole rubies. Plus grinding ruby ore gives red garnet dust as a bonus.

Sapphire ores are still clear wins to be used in an industrial grinder. You get one whole gem, plus 1.5 in dust. 4 dusts can be turned into 3 gems. So 8 ores silktouched and ground are 17 gems. 8 ores fortune 3'd are somewhere between 16 and 20. But the grinder also gives an extra 2x tiny dust in green sapphire, which itself can be electrolyzed to normal sapphire. So total return on 8 ores is 20 gems. (The 17 from above, plus 16x Tiny Green Sapphire Dust == 4x Dust == 3x Gem) consistently, with none of the randomness of Fortune III

Green Sapphire Ore is similar because it gives 1 gem + 1.5 dust + 0.5 blue sapphire dust, again equating to 20 gems for 8 ores.

The only serious argument to be had is with Emerald. The bonus dust from the grinder is Olivine, which serves no current purpose.

Note that all of this comment is about the Industrial Grinder, only available if GregTech is available, and not what the original question was asking.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
You should never convert diamond dust into whole diamonds if you have enough diamonds without. on my server we really burn through diamonds so fast, while always using dust (that I just make manually as required) every now and then to tweak the electricity systems in place or make more iridium plates (max 10/day atm on current server really). Everyone has various enchanted diamond tools and such, lots of diamonds go into other things in other mods, if 60% of our diamond was stuck in dust form it would suck to have to convert a lot of it back to meet the diamond demand instead of just fortuning it (a lot of our diamonds just come from manual despite the efforts of quarries)

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Diamond ore is better Fortuned, if you're interested only in diamonds. Also Monazit ore (Forcicium) is best put in a Macerator, it can't be used in a Grinder.

At recent version, monazite ore also produce thorium if it's processed in the ind. grinder.

Since I don't use quarry for now(will be later since I give up manual mining bauxite), I save up all my ores in diamond chests, and wait until I need them and then process them accordingly (tripling with ind. grinder+chemical or fortune 3 for sapphires or the factorization grinder).

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
Assuming you're using DW20/Mindcrack and not Beta A, use Fortune III without a doubt.

A far amount of mods still use _actual_ diamonds and not diamond dust. It's not really worth the extra hassle.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I like to fortune III diamonds for solid diamonds. I get a ton of diamond dust from putting nikolite ore in the industrial grinder.