Is Cubedhost any Good?

SeaStrudel

Jul 29, 2019
I was just wondering if Cubedhost was good or not because I am thinking about running a small private server for me and a few friends. The server will be FTB Mindcrack and it will be 1 GB of RAM. If anybody owns a server and uses Cubedhost please give me some feedback.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
How many is a few? I know my server running MindCrack V8 idles with no one online at around 800mb, thats with 3 chunk loaders loading a total of 100 chunks. With 5 poeple on it sits at around 2 gigs.

SeaStrudel

Jul 29, 2019
Probably 6 or 7 at peak, 2-4 normally. What if we didn't use chunk loaders? Because I already have the server but I didn't switch it to FTB yet. That's gonna be bad if my server is idling at 800mb if it's only 1GB lol.[DOUBLEPOST=1361307356][/DOUBLEPOST]Also can you explain what a chunk loader does? I'm kinda a FTB noob lol.

zekesonxx

Jul 29, 2019
That's gonna be bad if my server is idling at 800mb if it's only 1GB lol.
No, that's fine. What's bad is how much RAM it then eats when a player logs on.

Also can you explain what a chunk loader does?
What if we didn't use chunk loaders?
In Minecraft, the world is split into chunks. Chunks are only loaded (rendered and calculating on ticks) when a player is within a large area (Depends on the rendering distance). This doesn't matter for too much other than furnaces or mob farms in vanilla Minecraft.
In FTB chunkloading is much more important. This allows you to keep machines running even when you aren't near them, or aren't even online. (See: Lava pumps)
Yes, you can live without chunkloaders. However it makes FTB much harder for almost all the packs.

ChickenChunks (The main chunkloading mod) is able to restrict what happens chunkloading wise. You can only give normal players 10 chunks or something. And ChickenChunks will restrict BuildCraft (Quarries autochunkload), RailCraft (Anchors and Anchor Carts), Steve's Carts (Chunkloader module), Misc Peripherials (Chunkloader+modem turtle module), and ChickenChunks (Chunk loaders and spot loaders).

SeaStrudel

Jul 29, 2019
No, that's fine. What's bad is how much RAM it then eats when a player logs on.

In Minecraft, the world is split into chunks. Chunks are only loaded (rendered and calculating on ticks) when a player is within a large area (Depends on the rendering distance). This doesn't matter for too much other than furnaces or mob farms in vanilla Minecraft.
In FTB chunkloading is much more important. This allows you to keep machines running even when you aren't near them, or aren't even online. (See: Lava pumps)
Yes, you can live without chunkloaders. However it makes FTB much harder for almost all the packs.

ChickenChunks (The main chunkloading mod) is able to restrict what happens chunkloading wise. You can only give normal players 10 chunks or something. And ChickenChunks will restrict BuildCraft (Quarries autochunkload), RailCraft (Anchors and Anchor Carts), Steve's Carts (Chunkloader module), Misc Peripherials (Chunkloader+modem turtle module), and ChickenChunks (Chunk loaders and spot loaders).
Ok so when you are saying restrict do you mean just ban the item? Also I'm 90% sure I will be upgrading my RAM to 2.5 GB today or tomorrow so that will be good. I am also wondering if that will be sufficient because I don't want to have to upgrade again (I'd rather just upgrade to a sufficient amount in the coming days for good).