Iron Chest/Reinforced Crate contents vanish and reappear

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

kittenykat

Jul 29, 2019
Title Iron Chest/Reinforced Crate contents vanish and reappear

Launcher Type FTB Launcher

Modpack Revelation

Modpack version 2.1.0

Have you modified the pack? No

Link to log file

Details of the issue I've been playing Revelation for a few days solo, and not long after I started working with Immersive Engineering, I've noticed the contents of any of my 'Iron Chests' mod chests were vanishing a few seconds after opening the chest. If I sort the chest, or pick up an object where one was moments before, the contents reappear. Shift+clicking items from my inventory into the 'empty' chest causes some black magic fuckery, though. The same has started happening with the Reinforced Crate from Immersive Engineering, the container you can set down, pick back up and it keeps the contents in it until you set it down again. I'm convinced this is linked to my use of IE and Iron Chests at the same time, but I can't figure out how to fix it -- deleting the reinforced crates didn't do anything, neither did breaking and replacing the iron chests. I'm stumped. D:

Of note, the only other mod I've started working with recently is Tinker's Construct—I set up a smeltery in my basement. There's also a few machines from Industrialcraft 2 and Thermal Expansion in my house, and another building outside with a few basic thaumcraft objects, but those coexisted with the iron chests just fine for several RL days and had no issues.

kittenykat

Jul 29, 2019
I made a new world, and the iron chests were working fine until I tried to build and use an Engineer's Toolbox, then these issues started happening again. Something about how IE's backpacks and movable crates handle their inventory definitely is conflicting and screwing with iron chests. In fact, the Toolbox itself was EXTREMELY buggy -- I had issues placing it, couldn't use it from any slot but the first slot I'd tried placing it from, had issues exiting the inventory screen when using it, and when I tried to delete it I somehow ended up with 3 copies of it in my inventory. >_<

UPDATE: I stashed all of my gear in a chest, stored all my exp with a Tome of Knowledge, logged out and deleted my playerdata files from the \world\playerdata folder. When I logged back in and returned to my house, the chests were no longer bugged. So the damage is localized to the player's personal data files, and is not irreparable. However this is a serious conflict or bug in the pack that should be looked at ASAP.

UPDATE 2: Sadly i was incorrect in thinking this had fixed the problem. I'm still seeing vanishing inventories in my iron chests :'(

Last edited:
T

terrancez

I made a new world, and the iron chests were working fine until I tried to build and use an Engineer's Toolbox, then these issues started happening again. Something about how IE's backpacks and movable crates handle their inventory definitely is conflicting and screwing with iron chests. In fact, the Toolbox itself was EXTREMELY buggy -- I had issues placing it, couldn't use it from any slot but the first slot I'd tried placing it from, had issues exiting the inventory screen when using it, and when I tried to delete it I somehow ended up with 3 copies of it in my inventory. >_<

UPDATE: I stashed all of my gear in a chest, stored all my exp with a Tome of Knowledge, logged out and deleted my playerdata files from the \world\playerdata folder. When I logged back in and returned to my house, the chests were no longer bugged. So the damage is localized to the player's personal data files, and is not irreparable. However this is a serious conflict or bug in the pack that should be looked at ASAP.

UPDATE 2: Sadly i was incorrect in thinking this had fixed the problem. I'm still seeing vanishing inventories in my iron chests :'(

I'm having the exact same issue with my own mod pack, did you find a fix for it at the end?

kittenykat

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly no, I got no help with it and couldn't figure it out. :< All I could do in the end was stop using them. :( If you find a fix please let us all know!

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
So you should report issues like this to the mod authors or at least check their bug reporting sites to see if anyone else has reported the same issue. I've done this in the past and the vast majority of mod authors are very responsive to bugs with their mod. Try to give them as much info as you can (pack details and version of mod helps) and maybe some screen shots.

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
We're experiencing the same bug on my FTB Revelation 2.5.0 server. IE is still enabled in the modpack but we aren't using anything from it, so we're currently "only" seeing it with "Iron Chests" chests: You open the chest, after a couple of seconds everything in the inventory vanishes. To see it again, you have to re-open the chest.
I did pick up some stuff from an IE house in a village (so accessed the crates) but haven't used any of it yet.
Do we know if it's IE for sure?

Edit: Just found this and NiHeu23 seems to be right, for us only iron chests that are in the same chunk as the smeltery controller are affected!

Last edited: