Interesting Ore Processing Methods?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Looking for something that's not your basic "funnel ore into this box and give it power, get dust out" for my next run. Doesn't have to be anything better than double yield.

Not embers, mostly because I did that my last run and I'm looking for something new.
Mekanism's higher tier ore processing is a maybe, but only if there's nothing good.
TiCon with Tinker's IO also a maybe, again if there's not anything more interesting.
Thaumcraft native cluster creation is...Well, I'll have to think about it. It would certainly qualify as interesting, but automating the essentia could be a massive pain.

Anyways, Ideas?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You're looking for baked-in mod solutions, or script-it-yourself?

Infitech2 (modpack) has some interesting ore processing approaches. For instance, it has Bees, but the bees don't generate resources. They generate combs (e.g. Iron Combs, etc), which can be combined with appropriate ores in a chemical reactor to produce decent multipliers.

It also totally re-works the SAG mill so that it has lots of grinding-ball options, and that machine no longer produces lots of primary output. It produces barely any primary output, and extra secondary output. (So copper ore would produce a tiny bit of copper and a decent amount of Gold)

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
I'll probably be making my own pack for this. Not sure what you mean by script-it-yourself, unless you mean craftweaker scripts or the like. I might look at what a pack does with tweaks, as long as pulling the relevant tweaks out an put them in my game. When I asked the question I was mostly thinking "mods that do it differently", hadn't thought about tweaks.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'll probably be making my own pack for this. Not sure what you mean by script-it-yourself, unless you mean craftweaker scripts or the like. I might look at what a pack does with tweaks, as long as pulling the relevant tweaks out an put them in my game. When I asked the question I was mostly thinking "mods that do it differently", hadn't thought about tweaks.
You understood me bang on: crafttweaker, but also configs in many cases (the SAG mill can be tweaked considerably via configs)

But now I see that's not the angle you were looking for. So: I'm also interested in hearing some unusual mod-specific ore processing approaches.

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
RotaryCraft has its extractor, which is pretty interesting. Mekanisms 5x ore processing line is also quite cool. Thaumcraft also has ore processing with it's native clusters, which most people don't think of. Finally, FactoryTech also has ore processing I'm pretty sure, and it's quite the interesting mod.

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
RotaryCraft has its extractor, which is pretty interesting. Mekanisms 5x ore processing line is also quite cool. Thaumcraft also has ore processing with it's native clusters, which most people don't think of. Finally, FactoryTech also has ore processing I'm pretty sure, and it's quite the interesting mod.

Probably should have mentioned this is going to be for 1.12, so Rotarycraft is unfortunately out (one of my most missed older mods). I'll definitely check out FactoryTech.

One I haven't seen mentioned so far is Blood Magic. Haven't tried the 1.12 version yet, but 1.10's ritual of the crusher had a way to add fortune to it using demonic will (I forget which one exactly, though), so if that's been brought over to 1.12.

And does Calculator have an ore processing method? Can't seem to find one. Mostly asking since it's a mod I haven't played with before.

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
As far as I know Calculator does not have an ore processing method. Blood Magic has alchemy for ore processing, that much I do know.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
Have you done Skyfactory? You still put ore in a box and apply heat, but the method of getting the ores with Ex Nihlio is quiet different and good, imo.

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
Not a big fan of sky blocks, so I haven't.

I think I'm going to go with Thaumcraft, with FactoryTech as a backup and TiCon/Tinker's IO for early game. I'll still keep an eye out for any other interesting mods.

C

crate

grinder with Dynamism Tablet doing the work, just have a second one laying on new handles