Request Inter-dimensional RF Transfer Idea

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
I'm playing through Infinity Beyond right now, and I've thought of a block that would be fantastic for energy transfer. It could be its own tiny mod or added on to some other mod, such as Ender IO, Immersive Engineering, or similar mods.

So my idea has to do with the nether portal, primarily, but could also be applied in some fashion to the end portal (with some extra tweaks since there's no two-way portal in that case). My idea is that this new block would replace one of the obsidian blocks in the nether portal frame, and this block would be placed in the same spot in the created portal on the other side, allowing you to pipe energy through from one side to the other!

It would obviously need to be balanced, and the method would depend on how the block was added to Minecraft (on its own or as a part of another mod). It would most definitely require obsidian when using it with a nether portal, and maybe require steel and diamonds in the recipe if using Immersive Engineering.

Chunk loading would be another issue to address. Perhaps there could be a plain version with no chunk loading and an upgraded version which loads the chunk in both the overworld and the nether.

I only just now thought of applying it to an end portal, but perhaps one could make a set of blocks to go on the outside of the portal, which would then be activated and sort of soup up the portal. Then it would modify the obsidian platform on the other side? The modded blocks there would certainly need to be protected from the dragon, but work past that could be on the player to keep it safe. Or maybe it would create a ward to keep the dragon away from the platform altogether? Then there would be a bubble of protection around the immediate vicinity, and the player would be responsible for the long-distance RF transportation?

Or perhaps the end portal transfer just wouldn't be worth it like the nether portal.

The whole reason I thought of this was in breeding bees and using an alveary with the alveary transmission block from Binnie's Mod. To use those extra blocks with alvearies and breeding bees in the nether, one would need an RF source there, but it would be nice to have a manual method prior to having access to a tesseract.

There are obviously many other reasons that people would want to use power in the nether, but that was mine at this point in time.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw that idea out there for you mod creators. I'm not a programmer, but I could see the usefulness of such a block for nether portals in many mod packs.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
And if someone does want to run with this idea, I'm willing to help in the creative and testing side of things. I can help dig through different mods to look for recipe balancing, contextual applications, and further development of the idea itself. I just don't code, so I wouldn't be any help there.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I rather like this idea too!

When I read that, my first thought wasn't a block in the portal frame, but rather some sort of item that you place, and you need to direct the beam it emits into the portal itself (very Stargate SG-1); on the other side you could have the beam being re-emitted from the portal, or assume that the energy is distributed into the frame on the outbound side, so you need to place energy taps of some sort on the face of one or more of the portal blocks to tap into that.

Reactions: Brotuulaan

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
@GamerwithnoGame That's a neat idea too! And it wouldn't need to mess with the portal mechanics either! It would prob be more involved of a process (components, setup), but maybe they would both have a place in the mod universe. And props on the Stargate inspiration. You get extra brownie points for that one. :)

@adamich Are you talking about the energy acceptor and such from AE? Bc AE is often late-game stuff (esp in harder mod packs), whereas this would be more of an early-machines/nether feature. Sort of a tiny progressions brother-concept.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

adamich

Jul 29, 2019
@adamich Are you talking about the energy acceptor and such from AE? Bc AE is often late-game stuff (esp in harder mod packs), whereas this would be more of an early-machines/nether feature. Sort of a tiny progressions brother-concept.
NonWire energy transfer in ALL mods are late-game stuff: GT, IC2, EnderIO, AE2

Last edited:

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
NonWire energy transfer in ALL mods are late-game stuff: GT, IC2, EnderIO, AE2
That’s also true for Mekanism; I suppose even TE when tesseracts were in there. It’s early for ExU 2 and is the point of flux networks though.

I think the point is that it would add an interestingly thematic, vanilla adjacent method.